Polk enters headphone market

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2011
    I doubt Heather will be there, probably training. That's what people like her do.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited September 2011
    yo RUSS have you had a chance to play with these yet? whats the inside story on them? How do they compare to the similarly priced competition?
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited September 2011
    Whats the word over at head fi?
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2011
    Not sure if this has been asked, but what's the pricing like on these? Thanks in advance.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • Topper
    edited September 2011
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been asked, but what's the pricing like on these? Thanks in advance.

between $50 to $100 for the Ultrafit range
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2011
    Haven't heard them yet hope too soon.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited September 2011
    Be interested to hear these as well. I'm ready to toss my Bose in-ears for something fresh after 2 years.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2011
    Yes! I will be ordering a pair of the on the ear phones once they come out. I like the fact that there is a volume control on them and my old ones are just about ready to toss.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Vital
    Vital Posts: 747
    edited September 2011
    $100 set aside for Ultrafit.
    Hope they don't take too long to show up in stores, been looking for good sounding, comfortable sport-y headphones with in-line volume/skip control under $150. I swear, when i saw Polk home page yesterday i thought i was hallucinating lol - everything i wanted all in one package. I really hope Polk made these as good as other gear Polk is known for.
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
    Polk Audio SR6500 active and SR124-dvc sealed
    Polk Audio PA500.4 and PA1200.1
  • rromeo923
    rromeo923 Posts: 1,513
    edited September 2011
    i will prob get a pair. Just lost mine. I like listening to music while running.
    I got static in my head
    The reflected sound of everything
  • TECHNOKID
    TECHNOKID Posts: 4,298
    edited September 2011
    Keiko wrote: »
    Nice little survey! :cool: I wish more company would dare to ask consumers what they'd like.
    DARE TO SOAR:
    “Your attitude, almost always determine your altitude in life” ;)
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited September 2011

I just want polk to let her ______ ______ ______!!!!!!! :tongue::wink:
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited September 2011
    How do these compare to SDA's?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2011
    They ARE sda.......all headphones are.

The Ultra 2000's silicone pad does not look remotely comfortable, but that's probably more visual than what it would seem when trying on in person.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2011
    Mike,

As usual. Impeccable taste, above!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • jwhitakr
    jwhitakr Posts: 568
    edited September 2011
    I've been waiting a long time for Polk to get into the headphone market. Will hopefully be able to get my hands on a set of these bad boys to see whats what.

Anyone tried 'em yet?
    My HT
    HDTV: Panasonic PT-61LCX65 61" Rear Proj. LCD
    AVR: Harman Kardon AVR 235
    Video: 80GB PS3, Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD
    Fronts: Polk Audio RTi8
    Center: Polk Audio CSi3
    Amp: Emotiva LPA-1
    Surrounds: Polk Audio R150
    Sub: HSU STF-3

The only true barrier to knowledge is the assumption that you already have it. - C.H. Dodd
  • chargerman426
    chargerman426 Posts: 419
    edited September 2011
    I have been waiting for some Polk headphones/ear buds for a while. I have to say I'm disappointed. I was hoping for some bigger headphones like what skull candy and other are doing or some nice ear buds like shure. These don't fit ether of those IMO, they just look like some of those crappy headphones that came with some portable cd plays. I hope I'm wrong and these are amazing and more so I hope these make Polk some $$$ so we can keep getting great speakers.
    If life had more tubes it would be a lot smoother.
  • Monster Jam
    Monster Jam Posts: 919
    edited September 2011
    Weight training and running, etc. - all thats good with headphones. I don't know about soccer, but I can tell you that you aren't playing basketball (i.e. you aren't dunking a basketball) with a set of headphones on.

Just sayin'.

I wonder if Polk offers (or will offer) over-the-ear headphones.
    Do you hear that buzzing noise? :confused:
  • Topper
    edited September 2011
    I have been waiting for some Polk headphones/ear buds for a while. I have to say I'm disappointed. I was hoping for some bigger headphones like what skull candy and other are doing or some nice ear buds like shure. These don't fit ether of those IMO, they just look like some of those crappy headphones that came with some portable cd plays. I hope I'm wrong and these are amazing and more so I hope these make Polk some $$$ so we can keep getting great speakers.

Hang on a few more months and your going to have a big smile on your face :). (thats all I'm allowed to say at this time :))
  • Topper
    edited September 2011
    Sound and Vision just posted their initial thoughts on em:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/polk-audio-launches-its-ultrafit-headphone-line

"I haven't done an extended listening session with the 3000s, but he top-of-range UltraFits did well on some pretty challenging material — Grails' "More Extinction" (from their excellent, all-instrumental, avant-rock workout Burning off Impurities), as a case in point, begins with an imposing organ drone in the bass that I've had real trouble with on a few very bass-forward headphones, where it turns to soup, washing out the delicate harpsichord and sound collage above. On the UltraFits, I had no trouble hearing all of the instrumentation during these passages clearly. The 'phones handled the complex instrumental soundscaping of the rest of that album admirably, and shone on dense, guitar-heavy tunes like Ladytron's "Sugar" (from Witching Hour) and the title track of Soundgarden's Superunknown, leaving both ethereal and aggressive vocals plenty of room in the mix."
  • Mon40CSMM10
    Mon40CSMM10 Posts: 161
    edited September 2011
    I want to know the frequency response on these headphones, as I'm not seeing it in plain sight on the headphone pages.

Can the earclip earbud style outdo something like Sony S2 J11 or Koss The Plug?

Can the headband style outdo any of Sony's Street Style headphone line (similar headband design, though Sony was first with it)? Note: the headband behind the head design is mostly comfortable but fails immediately if sitting in a seat with any sort of headrest.

I don't just mean lower bass or higher treble numbers, I mean in sound quality as well.
  • Vital
    edited September 2011
    Topper wrote: »
    The company yesterday launched its new UltraFit line of athlete-inspired, workout-friendly headphones with a party on the roof deck of the Cooper Square Hotel in Manhattan's East Village.

:mad: and why wasn't i invited??? Holy #$@% i'm riiiiiiight there!!!!!
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited September 2011
    Topper wrote: »
    Hang on a few more months and your going to have a big smile on your face :). (thats all I'm allowed to say at this time :))

Uh you can say whatever you want, the line has been press launched and more Mr. Secret Pants.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Vital
    edited September 2011
    Patrick C wrote: »
    Guys we just got some stock in on the 500's, 1000's & 2000's. The 3000's will be hear (see what I did there?) shortly.

check em out http://www.polkaudio.com/headphones/ultrafit/

How shortly is "shortly" for 3000's?
    Or better yet when do you think Crutchfield will have them?
    I have $20 off coupon with Crutchfiled that expires Sept 25th, would love to use it on these headphones.

ALSO: is there "musical" difference between 500, 1000 and 3000 or is it just the "extra stuff/pads/wires/foam" that comes with higer models that drives the price up?
    2008 Nissan Altima
    Kenwood DNX 5140
    Arc Audio IDX and XEQ
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited September 2011
    They kind of look like a werid version of the koss sportapro. I have been using a set of Koss prota pro for years ( like since the mid 80's) I would be interested in seeing if they are as comfortable and sound as good thats for sure.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited September 2011
    It doesnt say what the sensivity on them are? The porta pros are 101db so they dont take a lot to drive them.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited September 2011
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    Nice little survey! :cool: I wish more company would dare to ask consumers what they'd like.
    Hummm, even better! :cool: Too bad the summer's over, it would have been nice to get her to demo the new Polk headphones jo/ugging along the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. I believe if marketting was done right, we would beat all times record of joggers on the same date & time. The old men (me) would more likely be right behind her! :biggrin:
    Vital wrote: »
    ...ALSO: is there "musical" difference between 500, 1000 and 3000 or is it just the "extra stuff/pads/wires/foam" that comes with higer models that drives the price up?
    Good question!
    erniejade wrote: »
    It doesnt say what the sensivity on them are? The porta pros are 101db so they dont take a lot to drive them.
    Good question too!

Never been crazy using headphones due to diminished audio SQ and positive answers to the above might make a big difference.
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    edited September 2011
    The real test will come from us canucks and the upcoming harsh cold weather.
  • TECHNOKID
    edited September 2011
    Drenis wrote: »
    The real test will come from us canucks and the upcoming harsh cold weather.
    The word coming from Winterpeg! :wink: Mind you there are some pretty cold areas in the US too, ask some of the chosen frozen Polkies!
    DARE TO SOAR:
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited September 2011
    TECHNOKID wrote: »
    ... ask some of the chosen frozen Polkies!

Presbyterian Polkies aye!
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601