HSU vtf-2...

juice21
juice21 Posts: 1,866
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
well, it arrived today, and while i can't say i've listened and tweaked enough to give a thorough review, out of the box and a quick set-up, this sub is kicking the **** out of my room. It is set-up using the LFE out on my rec. and connected to the line-in on the sub using a y-connector. I have now changed my rt800i's to small (used to be large). the sub is set to maximum extension at 25hrz rather than the maximum output mode at 32hrz. i played around with these two different modes, and prefer the 25hrz extension (although i want to play some more over the next week). i was contemplating getting two of these when i first purchased, but now i am seriously reconsidering that. the bass the sub produces is almost scary. went through a few of my usual demos: event horizon (holy ****!!!!), toy story 2, atlantis, u-571. i am very satisfied with this purchase, it is an incredible sub for the money, very tight, clean, hard hitting bass! i am hoping to post some more thoughts on it if anyone is interested after i get some more listening time in. unfortunately, halfway through my demo session i threw in gladiator, set to DTS a mode, and audio drop-outs all over the place, WTF???? grabbed another DTS disc, same thing, never had a problem before, so now this has become the quest of the evening... :mad:
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2002
    I was just about to ask if you had gotten it yet.

Were you using a sub before? If so, which one? I'm curious as to how that HSU compares. Congratulations on your new toy!
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2002
    Glad to hear it, sounds like fun. A while back i also set my rt1000's to small and it made a big diffence --more clarity and power on the top end. Also try PM and the Haunting lots of bass there. And TWO thumbs way up on the way you connected it, that is the best way that I have found. Are you using the Monster Bass cable and Monster Y? ENJOY! :)
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    i was using a kenwood SW32-HT, compared to the HSU, this isn't even a sub. tighter, fuller, harder, shakes the hell out of the walls!!! so far, i am very impressed...:D
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    scott, using monster bass and monster 'y'. i did actually demo phantom menace, was getting to the haunting, but with the DTS drop-outs i gave up on DTS DVD's. gotta remedy my problem before i can continue onto the DTS formats...
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2002
    Hope you find the problem. I have had the same problems with bass drop-outs. Never found the problem though. Thought maybe electronical gliches - optical wire -- what not. It always seemed to remedy itself. :)
  • wpaules
    wpaules Posts: 101
    edited February 2002
    Hey juice. How big of a room?
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    wpaules - 15'x25' couch is 15' back from front wall in the long direction. rear speaekers about 2' back from there. the back 10' of the room is used as a studio.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited February 2002
    You have a link to HSU's web site? (I'm lazy here) How much did it run you?

Aaron
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2002
  • wpaules
    edited February 2002
    What is the rest your system?
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    rt800i's/cs400i/rt35i/rt25i, all powered by a kenwood vr309, soon to be upgraded...
  • wpaules
    edited February 2002
    Well , now that you had your HSU 3 days what do you think of it?
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    unfortunately, the only time i've listened to it was on the first nite, right after hooking it up :( the weekend is approaching though...:)
  • doorbell
    doorbell Posts: 30
    edited February 2002
    So....Im also curious....whats your take on the HSU VTF so far? Im about that close to buying one myself but will hold off until I hear more from you.
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    well, i got the just sit around a chill this weekend, and watched a couple of movies, and demo alot of 'parts'. i am very impressed with the HSU. it has handled everything i can throw at it, and that has been alot. sat. morning was dedicated to some reference level listening. my GF had to retreat upstairs. when i came up to the third floor she was like, 'do you ears hurt? it was loud up here..." he he, as you can see, i was having some fun. that bass is clean powerful and tight. the walls are shaking!!! almost too much when i crank it up, it's scary. this sub is definitely worth the money!!! i haven't been able to demo a velodyne in my house (which was my second choice) so i can't give a good a/b result on the differences, but i am not doubting my purchase. this is the best sub i could have spent my money on. and i highly recommend it to any one else looking for sub in this price range (approx. $550 shipped). either for music or movies, this sub is a winner...
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited February 2002
    Sounds cool Juice! More later. Had to gt some sleep.
    The sub sounds like a winner Juice. Did they send the specs with it o have you done any test with a meter? Just curious. I have noticed a lot of drop offs in bass with DTS. Since I switched hook up methods I have had no problems, Front ‘L’ & ‘R’ pre-outs to the subs and all speakers to small except the fronts, ‘NO’ on sub. Works great for me.
    Wait until that bad boy breaks in! It was recomended in the instructions for the P.E. DIY to run the driver out of the cabinet for 72 hrs. It made a big difference, I'm not suggesting you take you driver out and do this!:)
    Chris :)