Metallica 'Black Album' Hi Rez on HDTracks

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
edited July 2013 in Music & Movies
I was browsing the "50 must have albums" list on HDTracks this morning and saw the Black album on the list in 24/96. Has anyone listened to it, know if it's any good?

That list they've generated is kinda worthless because some of the stuff on there I KNOW is bad and not well recorded, so it kinda invalidates the list in general and I don't know what to trust on there.

If anyone has any input on this album I'd appreciate, don't wanna blow $18 if it's not any good.
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2011
    Posted too soon, shoulda googled first, found my answer:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Metallica-Black-Album-HDTracks-Download

Summary, it's not very good
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 806
    edited August 2011
    I've got it on disc. DVD-A I think. I like the mix and have enjoyed it a lot over the years.
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L&R, LSiM706c center, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 703 rears
    Polk RC-80i x 4 In Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Sherbourne 7/2100 200 x 7 Amp, Emotiva BasX A-500 for Atmos
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS520 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    edited August 2011
    Wow.Great information.I was just looking at this on HDTracks last night wondering the same thing.
    Weird.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2011
    HD tracks is hot , getting Metallica is even hotter. What are you currently using as a DAC and player?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited August 2011
    Generally, HD Tracks is awesome. I paid 10Audio's Jerry S. to copy some vinyl for me on to HiRez 192/24. It is amazing! I have no need for the 24/96, including this album. As an aside, the good ol' Black Album CD is pretty well recorded to begin with.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited August 2011
    I like the Black album a lot, but sadly it's pretty much unlistenable these days. Everytime I try to sit down and listen I don't get very far because of the very poor mastering. I can't imagine having in HD would make a bit of difference.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2011
    The HD Tracks and DVD-A versions are definitely cleaner sounding than the original, but there's a little too much emphasis on the treble.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited August 2011
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I like the Black album a lot, but sadly it's pretty much unlistenable these days. Everytime I try to sit down and listen I don't get very far because of the very poor mastering. I can't imagine having in HD would make a bit of difference.

H9

I'm going to have to dig out my CD and check. I don't remember it being that bad. I also remember Master of Puppets being a great sounding album . . . maybe I'm mixing the two.
  • heiney9
    edited August 2011
    I dunno, the Black album has no dynamic range and everything is squashed and sits in the mids and treble. I haven't pulled it out in years for that reason. I'll relisten too when I get a chance.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2011
    The general concensus seems to be that the regular CD sounds better than this new hir rez version
  • heiney9
    edited August 2011
    The general concensus seems to be that the regular CD sounds better than this new hir rez version

Wow, the Hi Rez must really stink then.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited August 2011
    What did they do? Just upsample the original 44K/16 bit files, or do actual high res files exist?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited August 2011
    My guess is a vinyl rip, but I don't know
  • Righteye
    Righteye Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    My little desk top system is not in the league of a lot of you guys but i find this recording to be pretty good. I know that my hearing ability at 53 has reduced especially in the high frequency range so a slightly "bright" recording suits me plus i'm not into thunderous bass ( my living arrangements do not allow for it either) below is a screen capture from audacity and it shows no clipping and has a lot of high frequency recorded.

Screen shot 2013-06-22 at 09.35.12AM.jpg
  • billthornton
    billthornton Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    metallica is such a great band, i have never seen them live.
    love master of puppets and most of the other songs.
    edited June 2013
    I saw Faith-Guns-Metallica in San Diego in the very early 90'S. What a concert! I know I am not mix master b but I enjoy the black album in it's original recording. No problems here.
    Too much **** to list....
  • Righteye
    Righteye Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    Since read that a lot of that high frequency can be digital noise so may be not so good as i thought.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited July 2013
    I have an old copy of the original Black CD, I always noticed how the mix always seemed so compressed, especially Lars double bass kick drums.
  • BlueFox
    Another first post spammer. LOL

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Another first post spammer. LOL

Good call, @bluefox.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Black Album. Gross.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox

Here is a first post spammer from 5 years ago. I mangled the links.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    BlueFox wrote: »

Here is a first post spammer from 5 years ago. I mangled the links.

Hope Ken kicks him off too! :D