Are their any big Midwest Audiofests?

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
edited August 2011 in Gatherings & Special Events
So I see that their is the Rocky Mountain Audiofest, the recently wrapped up CapitolAudiofest, and the Lone Star Audiofest.

Anyone know of anything in the Indiana/Ohio/IL area worth attending?

I see their looks to be a Midwest Audiofest (has already happened this year though), but wanted to see if anyone knew of any worth going to that I could actually attend without a big hassle....
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
Post edited by EndersShadow on

Comments

• gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited July 2011
    Looking for those new "corn speakers"? They'd be a good retrofit in a combine!:biggrin:
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2011
    gdb wrote: »
    Looking for those new "corn speakers"? They'd be a good retrofit in a combine!:biggrin:

LOL...hey now....

I live in Indianapolis....its the Island Metropolis thats surrounded by the ocean of corn lol...

I have visted a "high-end" audio store or two, but I was kinda hoping for a decently sized and attended show so I can see more than just Paradigm, Def Tech, GoldenEar, ect.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited July 2011
    Just joshin ya! :biggrin: I do think that you may have to travel a ways to see an audio show. Chicago, maybe? BTW....combines rumble past my house all the time and I'm only 40 min. outside of the DC Beltway! Corn is good, all cars will be running off cornahol soon! ( not to be confused with cornhole, something entirely different !):smile:
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited July 2011
    Being a native midwest-a-ner, I'm going to say no. Audio and MW weather don't mix, your SOL ES. When they have the Atlanta audio fest next year, feel free to stay at the hotel a-la-cody on your way down. Sorry about your luck!
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I wouldnt mind hitting Chicago for one (could take the wife with and let her do shopping during the day). Some travel isnt bad, but perfer the drive kind, and that puts most of them out of reach.

Kinda surprised their isnt one in Chicago TBH.

Oh well, if there is one in Cali next year I might just have to take my wife out that away for a vacation...... :wink:
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    edited July 2011
    ES, I have looked around and have yet to find anything either.
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2011
    indyhawg wrote: »
    ES, I have looked around and have yet to find anything either.

That makes me super sad on the inside.

BTW when you gonna come over and listen to the new setup?
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    edited July 2011
    I may have some free time this weekend. Shoot me a text and let me know when you are free.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited July 2011
    IIRC that Midwest thing in Ohio is mostly parts and DIY speakers. Audiokarma forum has (or had) held a yearly AKfest in Michigan. It grew in size and moved to hotels ~ 2003. The 2011 get together was cancelled, so maybe stay tuned for 2012. Check out previous shows coverage to see if it is something you would be interested in attending.

Like this one....
    http://www.enjoythemusic.com/akfest_2010/
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • wz2p7j
    wz2p7j Posts: 840
    edited July 2011
    So I see that their is the Rocky Mountain Audiofest, the recently wrapped up CapitolAudiofest, and the Lone Star Audiofest.

Anyone know of anything in the Indiana/Ohio/IL area worth attending?

I see their looks to be a Midwest Audiofest (has already happened this year though), but wanted to see if anyone knew of any worth going to that I could actually attend without a big hassle....

Ender, not too far north of Chicago in Milwaukee is a thing called Summer Fest. I'd never heard of it until a few years ago when a friend of mine moved there and raved about it.

Supposedly the mayor of Milwaukee attended Oktoberfest in Munich like 40 years ago or something. He returned with the idea of a massive festival for the city of Milwaukee. He gathered the city council together along with local business leaders to discuss his idea and to get their input. As the story goes, he told them to "think big."

What evolved over the years was Summer Fest. Billed as the biggest music festival in the world and validated as such in the Guiness Book of World Records.

Had my first chance to attend just a few short weeks ago. Just the scale of the event is audacious almost beyond imagine. Eleven large stages on the grounds. Nine of the eleven set up for music. Music starts each day about 12:00 noon. Each stage features 4-5 acts per day. New acts the next day. Festival lasts for 10 days. Do the math - over 400 acts during the 10 day festival!!

A lot of the acts during the day are local talent. But I must say most were pretty good. Some top flight acts closed out each stage at night. Did I mention $15.00 to get in for the day? Oh, it's Milwaukee so there's lot's of beer. And right on Lake Michigan, so very scenic. Been to Oktoberfest - liked this better.

Chris
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2011
    wz2p7j wrote: »
    Ender, not too far north of Chicago in Milwaukee is a thing called Summer Fest.

Chris

I am well aware of Summer Fest. I have spent the last 20+ years doing the 4th on the Milwaukee lakefront.

Its not really the same type of show as the other ones I referenced. Sumemr fest is more of a live band type deal rather than a place to go listen to different speaker brands.
  • wz2p7j
    wz2p7j Posts: 840
    edited July 2011
    Gotcha - I wasn't familiar with the others you referenced so wasn't sure what they were all about. Although the fact this was posted in the "Gatherings ..." forum should have tipped me off.

Chris
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2011
    wz2p7j wrote: »
    Gotcha - I wasn't familiar with the others you referenced so wasn't sure what they were all about. Although the fact this was posted in the "Gatherings ..." forum should have tipped me off.

Chris

No worries man. I will say Summer Fest is sure fun. Although personally I prefer "Taste of Chicago". Nothing like a hot summer day with 50 million different types of pizza, brats and sausage.
  • byfthalone
    byfthalone Posts: 345
    edited July 2011
    No worries man. I will say Summer Fest is sure fun. Although personally I prefer "Taste of Chicago". Nothing like a hot summer day with 50 million different types of pizza, brats and sausage.

I'm with you there Ender...been to the "Taste" quite often and the fireworks show on July 3 off of Navy Pier is awesome.:wink:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited July 2011

I'm just the opposite, I'll take Summer Fest any day over the Taste of Chicago. Chicago is just too crowded, you can barely walk without getting bumped,run over by strollers, or asshats trying to pick your pocket or steal a purse. Plus the music is way better up north with a better variety of eats. An all around better experience.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    edited July 2011
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'm just the opposite, I'll take Summer Fest any day over the Taste of Chicago. Chicago is just too crowded, you can barely walk without getting bumped,run over by strollers, or asshats trying to pick your pocket or steal a purse. Plus the music is way better up north with a better variety of eats. An all around better experience.

LOL.... well next year then we might just have to do a Polkie "Taste of Chicago" or "SummerFest" meeting lol......
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited August 2011
    tonyb wrote: »

my up north is just filled with hunters singing 30 point buck while they eat fried squirrel legs with about 30 gallons of beer. Tony I don't think that its a better experience :tongue:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited August 2011
    squirrel legs and beer....that has good times written all over it.:smile:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-