Todd Bertuzzi hit

Options
sterling bug
sterling bug Posts: 228
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Anybody see this cheap shot from the Avalanche/Canucks game last night. This piece of crap Todd Bertuzzi should be thrown out of the NHL for life. Punch a guy in the face then drive his face into the ice, what a loser. Steve Moore had a broken vertabrae in his neck because of this and will be out for the season. Really interested in your opinion avalanchefan.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Bertuzzi shouldn't be allowed to play until Moore does. Just my two cents.
    Graham
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Dang it, you beat me to it...

My feelings: Any intent to injure should be minimum five games in addition to however long the other person is out up to five years without pay. If the person is not injured, the league defines the time period...

Not only did he injure the guy, he almost permanently paralyzed him or worse...

Moore's fight with May should have ended it (The "revenge" for a clean hit against Naslund earlier in the year). Add to it all the "Bounty" talk earlier in the year, this guy should go for good.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Does anyone have a link to a clip???

It's one thing to be sitting at home saying Bertuzzi shouldn't play again... But, you don't know what was happening and being said on the ice. I saw the highlights of the game and Moore backed down from all invitations to fight. With a blowout like that, tempers flare. It's unfortunate but there were also some pretty bad episodes this year with crosschecks to the head. This time, someone got seriously injured. Should Bertuzzi be suspended, hell ya. For the Playoffs as well. Not for life.

My 2 cents.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Clip halfway down the page:

ESPN article and vid

As for backing down from fights, he and May fought in the first period. Does he need to fight everyone on Vancouver all night any time they want?

Also, this was VERY pre-meditated on Bertuzzi's part since he was the one talking about putting bounty to injure Moore two games ago
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Thanks for the link. ;)

I'm not defending what he did.

I don't think he should be suspended for life.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • sterling bug
    sterling bug Posts: 228
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I did't see the hit on Naslund. If it was a clean hit then you get Moore back with a clean hit. If Moore's hit was cheap then that is something different. I've noticed more and more the last few years in the NHL that you can't hit guys with legal hits without someone from the other team trying to get back by fighting. I like a good fight but not over a clean hit. I love hockey but since Betteman took over its going downhill fast and with this lockout that most likely will happen befoe next season, I'm all for it. If this lockout means losing 10 to 15 teams I will be happy. The last I heard 19 of the teams are losing money this year and that can't be a good thing. Less teams means the quality will go up and right now the quality of the games are very poor im my opionion.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Moore's hit was clean, the ref on the ice called "clean check" and the NHL reviewed it and it was clean...

Naslund hit:

Moore was coming off for a line change and the puck came near him, he and Naslund started after it, Moore poked to the boards and followed through on the check, Naslund was reaching for the puck and had his head down so Moore's shoulder hit him in the head on the follow though of the check (Intial contact was just above the logo) and gave him a concussion. No elbow, no leaving the feet, Moore just finished the check in open ice and Naslund had his head down.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I don't think losing 10 teams would be good at all, but losing 6 or fewer would be much better for the game. (And only taking 4 teams / conferance for the playoffs)
  • gatemplin
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I think Bertuzzi should have gone after Moore for the clean but cheap shot on Naslund (although it is his fault he wasn't looking), but to hit him when he was not looking and driving him into the ice was way over the line. I am reminded of the times when McSorley hit Brashere or Gary Suter crosschecked Kariya in the face.
    After the Leafs win the cup this year, I hope there is a strike and the league loses some dead weight. I hope they cut down the goalie pads to at least where they were in the early 90's, now they look like lacrosse goalies. One last thing is I think they should find a way to eliminate games ending in ties, either shootouts or 3 on 3 or anything but ties.
    Graham
  • gatemplin
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Jdhdiggs,

4 per conference is a good idea, but I think 8 would still work if the season was cut down to like 60 games.
    Graham
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I'm for suspension til the end of the season. I'm fine with him punching the guy, after all it's hockey, but doing it from behind was chickenshit. Riding him down for the faceplant on the ice was pretty bad. Honestly I don't think people would be calling for the long suspension if the guy hadn't broke his neck though. The actions didn't really look that bad, it was just the end result. I think the McSorley incident was much worse.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2004
    Options
    The sucker punch was pathetic on Bertuzzi's part, but the pushing the face in the ice is not so uncommon.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Ok here is my take on it, of course me being an Avs fan makes me madder, and a bit biased but there is a history here between the two teams that I will explain in a few. But the thing that torks me off is that Moore fought earlier in the game. He had no reason to fight anymore. Yet throughout the game he was being shadowed, and antagonized. A few points that puzzle/piss me off.

1) Why did Crawford allow this to happen after a 46 minute penalty fest first period? Especially after Moore fought Cooke. That should have ended it right there, but then TWO more fights occured after the Moore/Cooke fight.....in the same period.

2) (Some History) This has happened to the Avs over and over again against the Cannucks. Mainly with Peter Forsberg. Infact the Cannucks have been accused of these antics with Forsberg over the last two years, from two handed slashes with the stick to the ankles, elbows to the face and so forth.(But I also know Peter is no angel either) Yet when Naslund gets hit, all the Avs fan's and players hear is how their star player (the cannucks) was cheap shotted (is that a word?), and some guys were going headhunting to get revenge on Moore. Now look at the results.....another black eye for hockey, and a player that has a broken neck. Personally I think it's ****.

3) why did the Cannucks wait until last night? They could have ended this last week when the two teams met in Denver and played to a 5-5 tie. But the Cannucks wanted the Avs on their own "turf/ice" for the retribution. So all in all it was premeditated in my eyes.

4) I think we will see the biggest suspension in league history. The Marty McSorely "whack" was terrible, and aweful to see, but this....this could have nearly rendered Moore a quadriplegic.

My opinion on the suspension (and it is only my opinion on what will happen), I say it will be in the range of 41 regular season games, and no playoff games this season.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I'm not a hockey fan and this incident is a prime example of why I won't watch this "sport." I just watched it on the local news and was appalled at what I saw. Pathetic.:(
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I wasn't watching the game last night. The wife wasn't feeling well and the toddler is a handful alone. I only heard, saw, and read about it this morning. I feel sick. Sick to my stomach sick. Sick that there someone with a broken neck. Sick that a player from the team I root for acted in a cheap, selfish, reckless manner. I think he'll get suspended for the rest of the season, maybe the playoffs and further. There's no excuses or justification for this.

I'm also sick of the media and everyone suddenly vilifying Bertuzzi. He did a stupid, selfish thing and I think he snapped. Now he has to face the consequences for that action. Would he be evil reborn if Moore got up after the sucker punch? I'm sick that people aren't as outraged when the same action doesn't have such a tragic outcome. Remember when Domi sucker punched Samuelson? I remember hearing Ulfie got what was coming to him more then Domi is a cheap shot loser. How many times has Weight or Thachuk crossed checked people across the face. Bad boy! Bad boy! Go sit in the corner for 5 games. Bad boy!

It's been there a long time everyone and we've turned a blind eye to it most of the time. We admire players who play with an edge, an agitator is great when he's on your team. He may be a dirty **** but he's our dirty ****. Any guess why Lacoix got Marchment last year for the playoff run? Mine's was so he couldn't take out Sakic or Forsberg's knees.

I'm sure people are sick of me venting. I don't really think I'll watch much hockey for a while.

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Well, I'll add that the big difference in my eyes between the McSorely incident and this one is the McSorely one happened in one game, no premeditation-just got caught up in the moment.

Bertuzzi is the player that stated that Moore should be injured and a bounty should be put on his head and said so to the press.

The other thing that ticks me off is that if a 4th liner would have done this to a Sakic/Jagr/Forsburg/et al... Everyone would be screaming to ban him for life. Since it was the other way around, people are only saying 20 games, or just this season.

Personally (after thinking about it a bit), they should just ban him for life and give the Canucks an additional 1st and 2nd round pick (Compensation since he was one of the leagues best). That would at least give the players pause before intentionally going after someone.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,523
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Pure chicken **** in my book...I'm old school:

1. No hitting in the nuts
    2. No hitting from behind
    3. You fight without weapons
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Looks like he's out for the season. Frankly I think one full calendar year, not the rest of the season would be more appropriate.