What's up with DVD pricing??

Options
justpolkme
justpolkme Posts: 18
edited February 2002 in Music & Movies
Does anyone know how the powers that be come up with their pricing schemes for DVDs? Is is totally based on popularity of the flick, on additional material/deleted scenes, format or what? You can get Terminator 1 at a reasonable price but T2 is still at 35 bucks in my location. Any thoughts?
Post edited by justpolkme on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    if you are talking about t2-ultimate edition, that is so pricey because of all the extras that go into it. most criterion collections are also more expensive than the regular realease of the same film. it seems that the more that goes into making a dvd, the more goes into their poscket when it comes out on shelves. each company also has their own pricing considerations too, almost too many different variables to put a solid 'guide' to, but the extras and options definitely do add, especially if it's a duplicate version of the same release in a less glofified dvd. ie., t2-ultimate, any criterion collection, disney's colectors series 2-discs...

hope that helps some, not really great, but just my thoughts...
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2002
    Options
    You're looking in the wrong places, that's what's wrong.

Try your local used CD store -- they'll have cheap used DVDs, too, most likely. Mine does, for as low as $10. (And I mean serious double disc sets -- like I just saw "Close Encounters" for $10!)

Also, try http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/

Free shipping makes the difference, and their prices are very good to start with.

Never ever pay retail.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Micah

Never ever pay retail.

MC

true that!
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    Options
    ....some photos of the used cd store owner in a compromising position.

Used dvd's here at tower, rasputin, etc. are seldom under $15. and usually $19.

-luc
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Why buy retail at Tower "the most expensive record store around" Records?

Search out a used place, every semi-large town has one.

Or, go online.

Never pay $19 for a DVD. You know it costs em like less than a buck to duplicate these things? Add a buck for packaging (cause they're not paying their design talent much, you actually read a DVD box lately?), and you're still giving the movie studios way too much profit.

Buy cheap, you won't hate yourself in the morning.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• johnnyamerika
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Well, actually, I work in a 'similar' field by comparison.. software. Sure it only costs us about $2.50 in raw materials per unit, but on a typical 19.99 product we sell in at 12.50. So that's 10 dollars left to us. Distribution and sales cost about a dollar. Then we of course pay a licensing fee to the development team/studio, usually about 2 dollars a unit. There's also advertising, artwork, promotion, and man hours. What we're actually left with after everything is a profit margin of anywhere from 2.50 - 5 dollars. That also usually means we have to sell through a substantial number of units just to break even. Large movie publishers may not have a huge problem with that, but consitering all the 'hands' in the pot, and how large of a production it is just to release a piece of software like a DVD or game, you really aren't left with much room to play around with costs. For my own buck, I find it expensive as well....but that's what it takes to get a product to market!

john
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I'm not remoaning their profit. That's fine. If profit helps hollywood crank out meanful, life-affirming films like JOSIE & THE PUSSYCATS, then more power to em.

I just want to save money. Never pay retail.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• johnnyamerika
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by Micah
    If profit helps hollywood crank out meanful, life-affirming films like JOSIE & THE PUSSYCATS, then more power to em.
    MC

Don't forget SAVING SILVERMAN.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    columbiahouse's dvd club, averages out to only around $10 per disc too! great way to get the more expensive discs...:D
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I just want to save money. Never pay retail."

"Search out a used place, every semi-large town has one. "

" Or, go online. " MC

So should I buy my Polks from Circuit City or Brandnamez.com?

Russ
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Micah Cohen
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Touche.

Depends. You want service from your investment, or are you buying inexpensive software that can be replaced?

Hmmm.

I'm not saying STEAL DVDs. I'm saying buy them used. You can buy Polks used.

I have a head full of boogers today. Oh, here's one now!

Yum!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• AllenLongcor
    AllenLongcor Posts: 34
    edited February 2002
    Options
    WEll the first place I would recommend going is to Best Buy. I find that they are the only retail store I will go looking for DVD's. They usually have the best prices of anywhere in town (Fresno). I bout T2 Ultimate edition for $20 there. I also found many $10 DVD's like Space Balls, Resevoir Dogs, Pi, and some others I forget. The big name movies usually go at about $20 but there are plenty out there well under that price.

If you want the absolute lowest price then download dvdprofiler. It's a free program (unless you want to pay for high quality cover scans) that will catalogue your DVD's and has a price search feature. You can create a want list, use the price search feature, and it will search about 15 online retailers with their prices and it will highlight the cheapest one. I had eXistenZ shipped to me for around $13. Not too shabby. Hope this helps.
  • justpolkme
    justpolkme Posts: 18
    edited February 2002
    Options
    thanks for all the tips...

i saw that thread where you were all listing the # of dvds in your collections and i was thinkin either you guys are all crazy or have harnessed the power of discount pricing
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Justpolkme-

Crazy? possibly
    Cheap? definitely

-luc
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited February 2002
    Options
    go to www.dvdpricesearch.com..they will give you a run down of most etailers prices..Best Buy is good on some..bad on others..like everything else you have to shop around..I would stay away from Tower & Suncoast..Join a forum such as DVDtalk.com..members post bargains on there all the time