Identify these subs please

Options
H3y
H3y Posts: 4
edited January 2011 in Car Subwoofer Talk
2 12" Polk audio subs, I'm unsure of the model, I'd appreciate any help.
1295909818.jpg
Post edited by H3y on

Comments

• greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited January 2011
    Options
    umm what they say on them db's
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited January 2011
    Options
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • H3y
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Thanks a lot, should I purchase the pair used in good condition for $300?
  • H3y
    edited January 2011
    Options
    and should i purchase the polk subs or these (buy one get one free)
    http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KFCXW12/Kenwood-Excelon-KFC-XW12R.html?c=3

btw i realize this is a polk audio forum so responses may be bias
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You need to figure out what amp you are using first so you know what kind of power you can get from it as well as what ohm rating it is.

If you try to drive a 3ohm load on a 4ohm rated amp you will more than likely fry it.

So first figure out what amp you are using and look at what ohms it is. Then look at the subs and see what ohm load they are as well as what wattage they can handle and see if they all match up.

If they do then they are contenders and you look deeper, but right now you are comparing a 2ohm load to a dual 3 ohm load...apples to oranges....

and between those two would go with the Polks IMHO
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • H3y
    edited January 2011
    Options
    thanks for the help, with the kenwood subs i would be using a rockford frosgate p100 punch amp, with the polks i would be using a p500 or p100 amp, either or. however, i will not be able to use the 500 with the kenwoods because the p500 would be included with the polk subs.
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2011
    Options
    +1 to what Ender said.

The Kenwood's look to be like a better speaker (comes with the price), but again it's not an apples to apples comparison. The DB's are Polk's entry-level speakers.

Check out the Polk's that are for sale, and get your ear on them with the amp it's coming with. For convenience and something budget friendly, I guess you can go with the Polk's.

Btw, I'd think the amp that's included is a bit weak to power both Polk's properly. Bridged, it only puts out 500w rms@4ohms (not stable below 4 bridged) and only 250w rms@2 ohmsx2.

Check to see how the speakers are wired. From the factory, they're wired for 2 ohms (both speakers are connected to one terminal it looks like). Since you're buying used, I'd say buyer beware so check everything out before spending your hard-earned cash.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited January 2011
    Options
    From the Overview itself -

The dual db124 12-inch subwoofers feature:

* Single Voice Coil 4 Ohm drivers wired in parallel for a net 2-Ohm load, optimum for today's Class D subwoofer amplifiers.

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/recent/db212/

They're pretty efficient though -

Electrical
    Overall Frequency Response 20Hz-200Hz
    Nominal Impedance 2 ohms
    Power Handling (continuous) 720 w
    Power Handling (peak) 1500 w
    Efficiency 103 dB

Fortunately, with ported subs you can get away with underpowering them a bit (in my experience) but as for me I like to power my speakers near their recommended rating.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • JimAckley
    JimAckley Posts: 1,138
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Just a thought, but personally I prefer to have more than enough amplifier power. You're more likely to blow a sub with a distorted underpowered signal than going slightly over their rating but with a clean signal. I'd find a quality amp that can push at least 1kW RMS @ 2 ohms through that system. Plus a higher powered amp will give you the ability to easily upgrade in the future. Just my .02
    - Computer Rig -
    YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
    Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
    Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf