Ever used Parasound?

2»

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by gmorris
    tryrrthg, good idea.

Unfortunatly, my Onkyo TX-SR601 doesn't have preouts, but it does have zone 2 output, as well as the standard tape loop. Maybe this will work?
    Probably not. You're stuck switching speaker wire like me!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited January 2004
    I just found an HCA-750A (model year 2000, original owner) up for auction on Ebay. No bids yet, opening bid of $75.00.

I think it's going to be almost impossible not to bid on this. There are two days left, so I'm going to wait until closer to the end to see if a bidding war begins.
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited January 2004
    Looks like a nice amp. If your interested, PM me about my P/SP-1500 pre that would match perfectly. You can read all about it on my web site: P/SP-1500 Information Page
  • JDOGG
    JDOGG Posts: 433
    edited January 2004
    You could buy new here. This is the amp I'm looking at getting when I get some money.
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dependableav/panewhc.html
    Panasonic VIERA 46" 1080p plasma
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Klipsch RF-7(bi-amped)
    Klipsch RF-25
    Xbox 360 with HD DVD
    Playstation 3
    Cobalt Cable
  • Terrax
    Terrax Posts: 483
    edited January 2004
    I'll like to chime here in regard to Parasound Amps. As doro mentioned, I purchased his HCA1500a, and from my experience so far with it is, it is an outstanding performer. It has handled music superbly, and as far as HT goes, WoW. Last week I purchased "Underworld" a fantastic movie, but the really nice thing about this movie is the sound embeded. Anyone who has cranked this flick up at home will know of what I speak. The HCA1500a handled the sound track so well, I was amazed. The reason for my amazement, is the speakers that the HCA1500a is powering, i.e. the RTi150's. Which by the indications some posters here are, is that they are monsters at gobbleling up power from an amp, but quess what. The Parasound, not one single time, seemed to have even notice the power consumption of the 150's. And I mean I had those suckers cranked too. Now, albeit, the HCA1500a is only powering the woofs ATM. But, I venture to say it would not even burp while doing single duty with these brutes. I also have a HCA1000a which is also an outstanding performer. While the stats for both of these amps are impressive, that dosen't mean as much to me as does the real world performance, what I can hear and feel for myself and what I've heard, I'm impressed with.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2004
    I have the HCA-1500A and PHP-850 and love them. You won't touch a better preamp for under $2000. The PHP-850 is an absolute giant killer----no frills, but sounds fantastic. I love having access to tone controls if needed--though its rare.

I'm also very fond of my HCA-1500A, my only complaint is that it does run quite HOT. Parasound should have went with silent cooling fans in these.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • gmorris
    edited January 2004
    Well, today I finally ordered my Onkyo TX-SR601. I should have it in my grubby little paws by this weekend. I'm sure I'll spend all weekend hooking it up, tweaking, watching all my DVD's over again, and listening to all my CD's over again.

The Parasound HCA-750 on Ebay is up to $135. I'll still debating with myself (and losing) whether to put a bid in for it. Who knows, I may be totally satisfied with the Onkyo's 2 channel performance. But I have a feeling that I may still be wanting a little more. What a pickle.
  • Ceruleance
    Ceruleance Posts: 991
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by steveinaz

I'm also very fond of my HCA-1500A, my only complaint is that it does run quite HOT. Parasound should have went with silent cooling fans in these.

That would be the class A operation. Same as my 3500. I'll deal with a little heat in return for sound quality anyday, and cooling fans are distracting, they would almost always be on because the class A operation dissipates a lot of heat even at low wattages

Gmorris,
    I didnt realize you hadn't bought the Onkyo yet. I would have suggested that you look at a different receiver, one with preouts. Oh well
  • gmorris
    edited January 2004
    I had looked at a number of receivers, but the Onk had the most features that I deemed necessary, and I got it for $400.

As far as the preouts, I'm not really going to need them. Once I do put together a 2 channel system, I want to use a seperate preamp anyway. The pre outs on the rec. would only be useful if I got an amp first, and wanted to use it without a preamp.

What attracts me to the Parasound is I could get a new P/HP 850 preamp for $250 NEW, then I could get a used Parasound amp for perhaps another $250.

On a different note, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has participated in this thread. TONS of useful info, and not a single person has started fighting with anyone else. I must say, everyone has been well behaved. I'll bring in cookies tomorrow for the group.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2004
    Get the PHP, it's one of audio's best kept secrets. Very solidly built, and a classy, streamlined look.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2