Options
13»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited December 2010
    Options
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Then why run 9s? Get some R50's and a BIC and call it a day.

Yeah man I hear ya.....I just think the OP expected way more than what he paid for.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I run a similar sub in a 11.5 x 25 x 8.5 space...300 watts, 12", 25hz +/-3db and it can rattle the windows, baseboard heat and my wife's office on the next floor?

One more thing to consider is that NOT ALL PROGRAM material has thunderous bass. Put on something like Transformers, etc. and FF to a big LowFrequencyEffect part and see what that sounds like. During a 2 hour movie you're NOT going to hear boom/boom the entire time. I'm not sure what your expectations are. But have you tried that?

Also, have you tried the sub placement test? Put the sub in the spot where YOU SIT, then walk around the room and see where the bass sounds the loudest and the strongest. That is the SPOT you should place your sub!

Good Luck!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • jinjuku
    jinjuku Posts: 1,523
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If you have an iPhone get a 1/8" stereo to rca adapter (a few bucks) get a tone generator for the iPhone. iPhone to RCA cable to sub.

Put the sub in your listening position. Play a 30hz signal through it. While it's playing go around the room with your ear at what would be the subwoofer location. Where you hear the output the loudest is where you want to place the sub if you can.

Place the sub, play back the 30hz and go to your listening posistion. You are only wanting to concentrate on the sub. Next you will integrate everything.
  • wayne3burk
    wayne3burk Posts: 939
    edited December 2010
    Options
    jinjuku wrote: »
    If you have an iPhone get a 1/8" stereo to rca adapter (a few bucks) get a tone generator for the iPhone. iPhone to RCA cable to sub.

Put the sub in your listening position. Play a 30hz signal through it. While it's playing go around the room with your ear at what would be the subwoofer location. Where you hear the output the loudest is where you want to place the sub if you can.

Place the sub, play back the 30hz and go to your listening posistion. You are only wanting to concentrate on the sub. Next you will integrate everything.

what he said -- but if you have your laptop hooked up to your reciever ....

you can use the NCH Tone Generator software

http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html

-- wayne --
    Yamaha RX-V2700, EMI 711As (front), RCA K-16 (rear), Magnavox Console (Center & TV Stand), Sony SMP-N200 media streamer, Dual 1249 TT =--- Sharp Aquas 60" LCD tellie
  • jinjuku
    jinjuku Posts: 1,523
    edited December 2010
    Options
    wayne3burk wrote: »
    what he said -- but if you have your laptop hooked up to your reciever ....

you can use the NCH Tone Generator software

http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html

-- wayne --

Now if you have a laptop and an iPhone you can use the laptop as a source and use your iPhone as a sound level meter to see approximately what the sound output is from listening position.

Or you could burn some test tones to CD. A bunch of different ways to skin this cat.
  • Ericw2431
    Ericw2431 Posts: 228
    edited December 2010
    Options
    i have tried the placement test! i have found a better spot where i can feel it a little and still hear it Some what....=/ everything is hooked up HDMI im using iphone & ps3 and cd's everything sounds the same?! its suppose to be a "MUSIC" sub right?! so why do i get it to hit way harder with movies like transformers and kungfu panda!?,....i was really intrested in it hitting harder in music but why past refrence level?! =[
    Room Theater:
    Fronts:RTIA3
    center; CSIA6
    AVR: Onkyo 709
    panasonic 55"plasma
    Ps3 slim 250gb
    surrounds.Fxia6
    Sub...svs pc13 ULTRA
    Amp:Emotiva xpa3
  • kawizx9r
    kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If you just got it, let it break in properly. You'll need a couple of hundred hours in order to do that, in the meantime watch it with the volume levels. The way you're going about it, you're most likely going to damage that driver.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
    Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
  • ChuckW
    ChuckW Posts: 8
    edited December 2010
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    No videos neccesary.
    AVR - Connect via LFE output. Set your speakers to small, subwoofer to yes and cross at 80hz.

SUB - Connect via LFE input. Subwoofer to 0 phase, volume to 50%, xover knob all the way up.
    QUOTE]

He's right, but to get your receiver to keep these settings you need to be using the Auto MCACC, not the Full Auto MCACC, or it will "forget" the speaker sizes you set.

I found the "workflow" on the "Official Pioneer MCACC" thread on the AVSforum very useful.

I can also recommend the "System Setup" section (pg 26) of Polk's excellent Home Theater Handbook for a better understanding of how/why to hook up your subwoofer the way it's being recommended.

(happy psw505 owner, using a Pioneer Elite SC-07).
  • Ericw2431
    Ericw2431 Posts: 228
    edited December 2010
    Options
    i have it real low as of now i am not in the richest nicest neighborhood and dont have security in my house!! trust me not a nice neighbor hood!!....and thanks i will give it some time to break in!
    Room Theater:
    Fronts:RTIA3
    center; CSIA6
    AVR: Onkyo 709
    panasonic 55"plasma
    Ps3 slim 250gb
    surrounds.Fxia6
    Sub...svs pc13 ULTRA
    Amp:Emotiva xpa3