New demo DVD on the block

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 2002 in Music & Movies
40162760.jpg

Atlantis: The Lost Empire (Collector's Edition) 2-disk set

Picked this up yesterday at Best Buy, ($29.99) plus they are giving a $5.00 gift card with purchase. Note: The single disk DVD does not contain a dts track, only the 2-disk collectors edition.

Gave her a spin last night and was extremely impressed with the dts track, one of the best to date. Picture of course was near perfect, if not. Great cast of voices, even Leonard Nimoy, that was a treat. The story is also entertaining, did not let up at all.

But back to the dts track, almost the entire movie is demo material. Extremely envelopeing, with very low end tight bass and very busy surrounds. It is excellent.

Overall, this is one of Disney's recent best. Well worth a purchase.

Peace Out~:D

Of course Micah won't like it for some reason ;)
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by Ron-P on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    my gf preordered me this for christmas, picked it up last nite, but didn't get a chance to watch it yet. i saw the sound was done by THX, so i am was very excited. the only problem is, no DTS for me. she didn't know there was a 2-disc set coming out, or maybe you just couldn't preorder that one through disney? i don't know. well, hopefully the DD will be good on the version i have. i am sure it will be, but i am just as sure it is no DTS...

and she offered to pay $10 more to get the 2-disc set, i should have compared the two closer...oh well.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2002
    I picked this up yesterday... the place I got it from,,,where I always go...knew about the bb deal..so they gave me the regular one for 12.99.. cant beat that.

The 5.1 dd soundtrack is amazing also Ron. My wife came in the room and told me to turn it down... I had knocked two pictures off the wall in the master bedroom..lol.

Definatly a work of art for Disney... 5 jalepenos:D
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2002
    My wife came in the room and told me to turn it down
    I've heard that before.

If...
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2002
    I got it yesterday. I had no ideal the 2disc had DTS. The review I read said nothing about it but did say the DD track was very good. Thanks Ron-P very excited about watching it now.
  • Firerider58
    Firerider58 Posts: 95
    edited January 2002
    Saw a review for this in one of the magazines(Sound&Vision I believe)and they also gave it a thumbs up. Going to have to give it a look.

Ron
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    watched my DD version last nite, and it is great! man, great movie, great sound, i love it when a good dvd comes together...:D
  • Ron-P
    edited January 2002
    Yep, watched it again last night with the family, what a great, fun enjoyable movie. That aggressive sound track is awesome.

If...
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2002
    ....as in cartoon?
  • juice21
    edited January 2002
    yes, it's disney's newest release. very good...
  • scottvamp
    edited January 2002
    I watched Atlantas last night. To be honest I was not that impressed. I give both the picture quality and sound about 3 1/2 out of 5. Gradeing on the Disney scale. Colors were not very bright and vivid, grainy in some parts. They did play with the surround more though. Movie was entertaining but very predictable. Anamation left something to be disired. I know that it was suppose to be old school. Take Tarzan for example, that was a five out of five Disney movie. Compare the two and you will see. Still average anamation but very colorful and warm. Sound was amazing, like the monkey herd chasing scene. My2cents
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    tarzan is definitely 5 out of 5, the opening sequence has been used many a times as a demo for first time viewers of my HT...

i thought atlantis was better than a 3.5 though, compared to tarzan - not a five, but at least a 4/4.5 in my book... just my take on it, i think i really liked it cause i wasn't expeting much from it, and when i saw it in the theater (actaully in a 2nd run theater, that's how long it tookme to get out and see it) i was very impressed....

just my .02
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited February 2002
    The animation was not typical of Disney, it was taking references from Japanimation style and it showed. Everything had a fiarly thick black line around each of the parts of objects. Gave it a very defined look to the animation.

Right now I have a 2 channel setup and even then, the soundtrack was quite impressive.

I am still waiting for Alladin though!!!!

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    aladin is two years off, i think... :confused: a disney store manager let me look at a list of the dvd releases disney is planning. looks like only 1 realease/year on older material.(+any new theatrically released films)

if i remember correctly, beauty and the beast is next, then aladin, than lion king, cinderella is scheduled for like 2007!!! she said these weren't in concrete, and i could be mixed up, but i think i am remebering what i saw correctly. looks like we might be waiting awhile for some of our favorite disney titles...
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited February 2002
    Originally posted by juice21
    if i remember correctly, beauty and the beast is next, then aladin, than lion king, cinderella is scheduled for like 2007!!! she said these weren't in concrete, and i could be mixed up, but i think i am remebering what i saw correctly. looks like we might be waiting awhile for some of our favorite disney titles...

from what i've heard, lion king is on the slate for 2003.

when i saw beauty and the beast on imax, it was preceeded by a trailer for the lion king coming to theaters the first of january, 2003.

this is from digitalbits.com:

We've been hearing reports from our readers that audiences who go to see the current IMAX re-release of Disney's Beauty and the Beast are being treated to a preview of the next animated title that will make its way to theaters on January 1st, 2003... The Lion King. That means you can reasonably expect The Lion King to be the Platinum animated title for the 4th Qtr of 2003. This is a slight change from Disney's previous release schedule, which had Aladdin coming in 2003, with The Lion King following in 2004. Not that we're complaining. As much as I dig Aladdin, I love Lion King and it'll be great to have the title on DVD at long last.

...very good news indeed!

joe :D
  • juice21
    edited February 2002
    joe, like i said, the list i looked at was not in concrete, i would much rather lion king first anyhow....:D

was the lion king trailer for a theatrical re-release, or a IMAX release???
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2002
    Beauty and the Beast, added song scene and to be put out on DVD very soon. On Atlantis pretrailer.
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    Atlantis rocks!

I have been dissapointed by the majority of recent Disney releases.
    The "Jungle Book" is still my favorite.
    But I'd buy Atlantis, good soundtrack!

-luc