Simple amp rack, ideas welcome.

kawizx9r
kawizx9r Posts: 5,150
edited August 2011 in Custom Fabrication
Well, it's not like it's a hard task to take on.

I want to hide my wires (even though they're clean and ziptied), not seeing them at all is better! I'm thinking maybe creating a shelf/step/rack for my 2 amps.

The shelf where the amps will be mounted on will sit about 2" or so above the floorboard (I'll have a board underneath the amp rack) where all my wires will be running to/fro. Amps will sit above that, then I'm thinking of closing off the area above the amps (another layer I'd call it?) and carpeting the sides/top/front so it blends in with my trunk+sub box. I know ventilation will be an issue here (even if I take clearance above the amps into consideration) so I'm thinking of running 2 fans to circulate air through the amps. I want to utilize the entire width I have available from the left edge of the trunk to the edge of the subwoofer.

Better yet, take a look at the AWESOME DRAWING I made using high-tech state of the art software. It's pretty self explanatory.

Also, I thought just for the cool-factor, that I'd cut out a square on the board that sits above the amps and use a sheet of clear acrylic so you can see the amps right underneath (or is this a bad idea?). I plan on having the roof of the rack on hinges so I can swing the top of to access my amps (will think of something creative to keep the top down when need be).

Fire your ideas away! Want to keep it pretty plain/simple though. I'm not going to take this to any shows or anything haha

-Freddy

PS Thought I'd add some pics of my actual setup so you have an idea of what I'm working with as well as for **** and giggles. :tongue:
Truck setup
Alpine 9856
Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
Polk SR6500
Polk SR5250
Polk SR104

heiney9 wrote: »
Any clue how to use the internet? Found it in about 10 sec.
Post edited by kawizx9r on

Comments

• kawizx9r
    edited November 2010
    High-tech low drag simulation

Uhmamprackplan.jpg
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• kawizx9r
    edited November 2010
    The actual setup (currently). Excelon X4R 4-channel amp (bi-amping my SR/Vifas) and JL Audio 360.2 (bridged) powering my MM 12"

SNV13302.jpg

Misc pics...........

Vifa tweets on sail panels I modded

SNV13306.jpg

SR6500's in the door panels

SNV13307.jpg

Excelon X794 HU, don't worry I took off the stupid Ipod sticker

SNV13192.jpg
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited November 2010
    Why not tilt the rack so it angles down in the front? Make it look more pimp IMHO. Are you putting plexi across the top and then maybe some lighting to highlight the rack? You can use some low RPM and CFM computer case fans one on each side to give yourself enough airflow.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited November 2010
    I give up.
    trying to figure out what kind of vehicle your have ?
  • kawizx9r
    edited November 2010
    Why not tilt the rack so it angles down in the front? Make it look more pimp IMHO. Are you putting plexi across the top and then maybe some lighting to highlight the rack? You can use some low RPM and CFM computer case fans one on each side to give yourself enough airflow.

Well, this is why I posted the thread. I'll utilize some of the ideas posted here if it isn't too out of the way for me :biggrin:

I thought about the Plexi however I've normally found that stuff in 1/2"/etc which is a bit too thick for this project (IMO). They've got thinner acrylic and polycarbonate at Home Depot!
    jvc wrote: »
    I give up.
    trying to figure out what kind of vehicle your have ?

Chrysler PT Cruiser GT :smile:

Oh and btw, going back and looking at things....I might not be able to sit the amps side by side because the 4gauge power/ground wire is pretty thick and hard to work with.

Hmm...
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited November 2010
    kawizx9r wrote: »
    Well, this is why I posted the thread. I'll utilize some of the ideas posted here if it isn't too out of the way for me :biggrin:

I thought about the Plexi however I've normally found that stuff in 1/2"/etc which is a bit too thick for this project (IMO). They've got thinner acrylic and polycarbonate at Home Depot!

That would work as well. You should have enough clearance for your wire. if not rather than coming from the back to the connector, why not come from the side so it works better.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kawizx9r
    edited November 2010
    That would work as well. You should have enough clearance for your wire. if not rather than coming from the back to the connector, why not come from the side so it works better.

Yeah, the clearance for the wire doesn't pose an issue at all. I'm just worried about the wiring coming from my Excelon amp (wires come in from the side the way I have the amps positioned as opposed to the rear compared to my other amp). Just worried that the 2"x4" on each side will take away enough width to make it harder to run the thick wiring. I should just be happy that I don't have a 'powerful' system that requires 1/0 gauge :eek:

It should work perfectly fine, just hate doing stuff all over again but sometimes it can be a bit of fun and I look at it as a 'fresh start' (4th time in this vehicle alone). :rolleyes:

As for the lighting, I'll pass on that idea. Like I said, it won't be for show or anything and really...this car is going to be a street/strip car. The SQ I'll be getting from it is just a big plus. Love those SR6500's, same for my new sub though I really can't wait to hear how it sounds once it's fully broken in! :biggrin:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• KaosTsoc
    KaosTsoc Posts: 372
    edited November 2010
    What about hight? How high or tall are you willing to go? Im thinking that since you are concerned with your JL amp, and the wires coming from the side. You could make the whole thing taller instead of wide. Also account for ventilation for each amp as well. Just a thought.

Thanks.
    2006 Prerunner Access Cab
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12
    Kinetik HC2000 battery and Sleeve
    200 Amp Mean Green High Output Alternator

Need a DJ, photobooth, or both for rent?

http://photoboothdallas.org
  • kawizx9r
    edited November 2010
    KaosTsoc wrote: »
    What about hight? How high or tall are you willing to go? Im thinking that since you are concerned with your JL amp, and the wires coming from the side. You could make the whole thing taller instead of wide. Also account for ventilation for each amp as well. Just a thought.

Thanks.

I was hoping it wouldn't be as high/tall as my subwoofer since that thing is just inches away from the cargo shelf.

The amps don't get hot, even when running them for a good while at 'moderate' volumes but I am still taking into consideration to give them proper ventilation. It's why I plan on running a fan on each end (one that'll suck air in, and the other as an exhaust fan). The Kenwood amp is the one I'm a little bit worried about because the amp's wires come out of the side but it shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Were you going to suggest that I should make it tall that way each amp has it's own little shelf? That'll provide ample room for each amp but I was hoping to use the top of the entire rack as a small shelf I can stack a few things on when I buy groceries and the sort. I know I know, why am I worried about trunk room when I've got a system installed and such, well if I can get some of that trunk room back while creating a clean install why not?
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• KaosTsoc
    edited November 2010
    Were you going to suggest that I should make it tall that way each amp has it's own little shelf? That'll provide ample room for each amp but I was hoping to use the top of the entire rack as a small shelf I can stack a few things on when I buy groceries and the sort. I know I know, why am I worried about trunk room when I've got a system installed and such, well if I can get some of that trunk room back while creating a clean install why not?

Yes. I understand were you are coming from. I had a Saturn Ion at one point, and had three 10's (which I have in my truck now) in the trunk. I did not have a whole lot of cargo room, but it was enough. For me I mounted my amps back then to the back of seats (which folded down), and I used the carpet to hide 99% of all my wires as well. Maybe a thought. However whenever I played my system I made sure to fold down the seats 1) for ventilation, and 2) to let the subs play into the cab. That is just me.

Anyways...... I would think that the shelf unit would not need to be as high as the sub box. I think with you fans coming into consideration you would be able to shave some space; not much, but a few inches all around. You would have to make sure that if you go the route of a double shelf you need to make sure the second shelf has some sort of vent hole or something on the inside so that the fans can do the job correclty. I may be completely wrong, but its an idea not the less.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• kawizx9r
    edited November 2010
    For me I mounted my amps back then to the back of seats (which folded down), and I used the carpet to hide 99% of all my wires as well. Maybe a thought. However whenever I played my system I made sure to fold down the seats 1) for ventilation, and 2) to let the subs play into the cab. That is just me.

Mounting the amps on my seats isn't an option. Pretty soon I won't have anyone riding in the backseat and once that happens, I will be taking my rear seating out and store them in the garage. Since I plan on taking this car to the strip from time to time, the weight I'd save would really help. I'd also take out the subwoofer since it's pretty damn heavy but the rear setting would net me about 95lbs alone!
    Anyways...... I would think that the shelf unit would not need to be as high as the sub box. I think with you fans coming into consideration you would be able to shave some space; not much, but a few inches all around. You would have to make sure that if you go the route of a double shelf you need to make sure the second shelf has some sort of vent hole or something on the inside so that the fans can do the job correclty. I may be completely wrong, but its an idea not the less.

Thanks.

I'm not too fond of the double shelf idea, even though it would provide the most ventilation and probably won't reach as high as the subwoofer itself I was hoping it'd be somewhat low-profile.

If I did go with two shelves though, I'd have 2 fans (one intake/one exhaust) for each amp just to be safe :smile:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• KaosTsoc
    edited November 2010
    The actual setup (currently). Excelon X4R 4-channel amp (bi-amping my SR/Vifas) and JL Audio 360.2 (bridged) powering my MM 12"

SNV13302.jpg

Well there are two ways that I see if you are looking for a more lowpro. 1) keep them configured as is, and basically move the JL amp up where the Kenwood is. 2) turn them both 90 degrees, and put them side, by side. Other than that...............

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• kawizx9r
    edited November 2010
    Well there are two ways that I see if you are looking for a more lowpro. 1) keep them configured as is, and basically move the JL amp up where the Kenwood is. 2) turn them both 90 degrees, and put them side, by side. Other than that...............

Thanks.

Well, I have them set up that way because they won't fit side by side if I turn them. As for the JL amp being offset, it's because I didn't want to cause tension on the power cord. If you look close, you'll see the distributor block just above the amp. The wire refuses to bend really, so I ran a tiny bit of slack and just mounted the amp a bit further away.

Maybe I should just create a platform on top of the amps? And put carpet on top/sides of the platform. Be much easier since everything is already set in place and is secured. Would still have to run fans to make sure everything remains cool though.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• KaosTsoc
    edited November 2010
    Yeeaahh..... That is the only other way I can think of as well. Im sure there will be more people on a little later, and should also give other ideas, that maybe I, or you missed, or did not think about. Im interested to see what everyone else has to say as well.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• kawizx9r
    edited November 2010
    Yeeaahh..... That is the only other way I can think of as well. Im sure there will be more people on a little later, and should also give other ideas, that maybe I, or you missed, or did not think about. Im interested to see what everyone else has to say as well.

Thanks.

It's cool. You suggested a few ideas and asked a couple of questions which others may have had about my setup that I've now answered. Will give you (or anyone else) a good idea of what to expect if I wanted something done in a specific manner.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• KaosTsoc
    edited November 2010
    It's cool. You suggested a few ideas and asked a couple of questions which others may have had about my setup that I've now answered. Will give you (or anyone else) a good idea of what to expect if I wanted something done in a specific manner.

This may be a dumb question, but how come you did not put the amps under you driver, and passanger seats? Hight restrictions or what not????? Just wondering.

Thanks.
    5 Speed 4 cycl 2wd

Audio:
    Pioneer P860 Head Unit
    Polk Audio MM6501
    Alpine PDX F-6
    Two SR124(SVC)
    Alpine PDX M12

• kawizx9r
    edited November 2010
    I forgot to ask you, but how come you did not put the amps under you driver, and passanger seats? Hight restrictions or what not?????

Thanks.

That's where my SR6500's crossovers are located :smile:

Once I do go active XO (my Excelon amp allows it), I still plan on keeping the amps in the trunk area. The amps are just a bit too long and could get kicked by any rear passengers. Also, I'm not too fond of the idea of running a long speaker cable for my subwoofer. Anyway, I did think about it but not with these amps. Maybe if I had Polk's newer, smaller amps. Or even the newer/smaller Alpine or JL (xd series) amps. I really like the features I get from my Excelon 4-channel amp but I might sell the JL Audio amp. Recoup some funds from that and from my MTX subwoofer and buy a Polk monoblock amp.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• kawizx9r
    edited November 2010
    Bump.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• kawizx9r
    edited January 2011
    Hey bro, I haven't built anything yet because I've been too focused on other things.

I do plan on making this happen, but I'm not sure when exactly. Maybe at the same time I build Jacquee a dog house.

Kind of glad I didn't build a rack yet though since I recently acquired the JL Audio amp. Hmm...I didn't think I would've had to brace the thing but now with that amp I might! It's pretty damn heavy!

I'll list dimensions in a bit if anyone's interested in mocking something up for me :wink:
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• kawizx9r
    edited January 2011
    Update of my trunk, as of 5 minutes ago.

SNV13383.jpg

So, as far as width (because I'd prefer the sub remain in place) I have 24 1/2".

From the back seat to the end of the trunk (torwards the rear bumper), I have 24" available across. This number is actually cut down to 20" due to the curve in the left corner but that's easy to get around.

Both amps are 13 1/2" wide. The JL Audio amp is 9 1/2" long while the Kenwood is 9" long.

The depth of the subwoofer is approximately 14 3/4", which I'm taking into consideration because I don't know how far I want the rack to come out. Most likely flush for a clean look.
    Truck setup
    Alpine 9856
    Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

For Sale
    Polk SR6500
    Polk SR5250
    Polk SR104

• 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited August 2011
    yup I think a double shelf next to the sub is best because ..
    You have room to flip down that back seat for long stuff .
    I found the sub sounds better with that open .
    You could access the wires in that flip down hole .