Two Different amps?

its_errick
its_errick Posts: 1
edited March 2010 in Car Subwoofer Talk
I have two different amp. one is 800peak 250rms and the other one is 1000peak 260rms

is it a good idea to connect them together? how would i wire the subs? It is wired to one connector outside the box. should i keep that or do i wire each sub to an amp?
Post edited by its_errick on

Comments

• Endesereth
    Endesereth Posts: 18
    edited February 2010
    I dont think it would be such a good idea connecting them together...if you do try it please tell the outcome! But if i didnt answer your question can you clarify a little...
    Receiver:Yamaha RX-V363
    Center:Klipsch RC-3
    Fronts: DIY #01EN or Klipsch XF-48
    Surrounds:Klipsch KG 4.5
    Subwoofer left:Polk Audio PSW-110
    Subwoofer Right:Klipsch KSW-12
    Subwoofer Center: DIY DAYTON titmk3 400
  • hifonix
    hifonix Posts: 13
    edited February 2010
    Run one sub to each amp.
    You will have to add a terminal for each sub on the back of the box.
    Pioneer 4900ib
    Polk MMC6500 6.5" 1xfront doors 1x rear deck
    Polk MM6501 kick panels
    Polk SR104 X2
    Hifonics BLDP-1 balanced line driver
    Hifonics Olympus 125wx4 (front)
    Hifonics ISIS 300wx1 (rear)
    Hifonics Zues 1200wx1 (sub)
    Hifonics Zues 1200wx1 (sub)
    Excessive amperage 200amp alternator
    Kinetik HC2000 rear battery

Favorite quote
    "those can not be 10"'s you have 12's"
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited February 2010
    hifonix wrote: »
    Run one sub to each amp.
    You will have to add a terminal for each sub on the back of the box.

Ummmmm, no...not a good idea to run dissimilar amplifiers to a pair of subs.

You want the woofers to be identical for use in the same install/listening environment to avoid peaks/nulls in response, and you also want each woofer to receive the same amount of power. Mixing amps to identical subs will be a bad idea as you'll have the woofers performing differently and fighting each other at different volume levels. Don't be "ghetto" - if your amplifiers aren't appropriate, you can always trade them for a single amp suitable for powering both woofers.
  • Agent
    Agent Posts: 65
    edited March 2010
    Ya, I don't recommend using two different amps. Get two of the same if you can. They may not mesh well together and sound like crap.
    Samsung LN52A650 : PS3 : RTi A7s : CSi5 : SVS PC12-NSD : Pioneer VSX-9040THX : Emotiva XPA-3 = :D
  • Alpine77
    Alpine77 Posts: 8
    edited March 2010
    So if you have 2 of the same amps it would be okay to hook both amps to 1 subwoofer? I am just wondering.
  • Installer4life
    Installer4life Posts: 256
    edited March 2010
    If the subwoofer had more than one voice coil (dual voice coil for example) you could wire two seperate amps, one to each voice coil, and it would work. Under normal listening conditions I would not recommend it. Now if you have two identical amps that have the ability to stap together then this would be ok. The pair that is designed to go together usually shares the same controls whick makes it easy to tune them. Even though you have two of the same amps they are probably not exact dupilicates. Look at the birth sheets that come with same amps and you will see a big difference in actual output even though they are rated the same.