Crossover upgrades?

Options
eric
eric Posts: 11
edited July 2001 in Technical/Setup
I love my Monitor 10's and would not part with them however, I feel they give up a little bit of clarity compared to todays technology. Am I correct in assuming this would be primarly because of the aging components in the crossover? Does Polk sell any component kits to upgrade the croosover? Maybe someone (Ken Swauger?) can tell me what the proper values or types of components to use. Any insight would be apprecited.
Post edited by eric on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hello Eric,
    I'm glad you're enjoying your Monitor 10 speakers, they are quickly becoming a true "classic". Polk doesn't have any upgrade kits for the older speakers, we can repair them, in most cases, but using equal quality components. Actually, the level of parts on the original crossover is really very good. Yes, there may be some "designer" parts that could squeeze a bit of extra definition out of them, but on the whole the high pass filter capacitors were plastic composition, bi-passed with small value Mylar caps. It would be possible to use slightly better quality, lower inductance, dropping resistors. The circuit board traces were quite wide and well laid out, the inductors were a combination of large gauge open air types and iron core. If you'll telephone me at 1-800-377-7655 I can send you a copy of the schematic and a few hints on where to find the more exotic parts.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken Swauger
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    Options
    How about that Ken? Is that service above and beyond or what?
  • eric
    eric Posts: 11
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Ken hooked me up with all pertinent schematics and component values. Thanks, I appreciate it. The crossover appears to be of high quality. I think I can improve it slightly with a call to Solen.
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited July 2001
    Options
    is one of the biggest reasons why I am devoted to Polk. He is so helpful and willing to make sure that customers are taken care of. My hat is off to Ken!!

Jason
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Just yesterday I purchased Scott's monitor 10's (thx Scott).
    I need to replace the drivers with Polk originals - will do very soon.

I've read that the Monitor 10's were designed by a Mr. Sandy Gross who went on to found Definitive Technologies. True?
    Curious. What other classic Polk's did Sandy Gross design?

Anyway, I agree, the Monitor 10's are a true "classic" - along
    with Polk SRS-SDA series speakers.

Please post (or e-mail) me any tech information regarding the Monitor 10 series 2 (circa 1991). Freq response? Watts? Ohms? etc. I haven't found ANY tech info on these classics.

Thanks.

Ron
    rskarvan@indy.net