Feel the sound - enclosure

Ecin
Ecin Posts: 61
edited February 2010 in Car Subwoofer Talk
What type of enclosure should I use? I want to be able to get a massage from the subs, LoL. I love punchy bass, but I hate that vibrating sound that some subs produce. I can do with out that. I don't know how to explain myself, but I like the bass to be a sound that goes in and out like when you strike a drum, and not a continous sound like when you use a wind instrument.

I preffer SQ over loudness. but minimal SQ loss for punchier bass i would like, especially since I can't really hear things too clearly.

What sound difference would I expect from running one SR124 and two SR124. I am going to power them with an 1800 RMS amp @ 1 ohm or if it's one sub at 875 w RMS
Post edited by Ecin on

Comments

• MCCLIPSE
    MCCLIPSE Posts: 176
    edited February 2010
    +1 on the sealed boxes. I've been more satisfied by the sound of sealed boxes myself.
    Truck system so far...

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab Hemi

Kenwood KDC-X492 HU
    MM651 coaxials in doors

Family Room:

Panasonic TC-P50G25 50" Plasma
    Panasonic DMP-BD655K BDP
    XBOX 360 250GB
    Harman/Kardon HK3480(on loan)
    Monitor 70 Series II
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited February 2010
    I've got two Alpine 12" Type R's in a sealed enclosure in the hatch of my IROC-Z and they do very good punch with very decent SQ. Vented with big subs has huge volume but almost always at the price of good SQ.
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • chu
    chu Posts: 178
    edited February 2010
    I tried ported and sealed on my sr1240, and sealed is the only way to go when you want a tight accurate (punchy) sound.

Adding another sub should increase spl by 3db. 2 sr1250 @ 1800 will go plenty loud, just watch the gains/volume and hear the sub for any snapping sounds. You really don't want to overpower them too much and damage it.