rotel???

Options
juice21
juice21 Posts: 1,866
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
anyone have experience with a rotel amp hooked up to your polks? i am thinking about getting a used 200Wx2 rotel amp to properly power my rt800i's, just never had a chance to demo the rotel/polk combo. any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance...
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited January 2002
    Options
    From what I know Rotel isn't bad. IMO almost any amp would be better then a receivers amp with cleaner power and less degradation. As far as a match to Polks, well, it can't be to bad should be a good improvment. I hope you post your opinion when you get the Rotel.
    Chris :)
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Rotel is supposed to be pretty good stuff. I doubt you could go wrong with this brand.

Aaron
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2002
    Options
    When I went to listen to the B&W 604 s2 speakers they were hooked up to an all Rotel set-up with this amp, it was a VERY nice sound, I can't say if it was the amp or the speakers but you know garbage in garbage out.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2002
    Options
    What do spicy tomatoes have to do with amps?

Seriously, I see Rotel & B&W paired up alot. Good stuff.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    Options
    damn! he sold it to another guy...:mad:

oh well, some more $ to hold onto until the next item to catch my eye...
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I have three Rotel amps. They have been used with Monitor 10 and RT series Polk speakers. I am currently in the process of selecting a new series of speakers for the amps (Totem Acoustics, B&W, Dynaudio or LSi).

The speakers came alive after switching from normal equipment (integrated amp) to separate pre/power amps. When I purchased my first amp, Rotel was the clear winner in my price range (RB-980BX). An improvement (an understatement as I can not find the right word at this time) in the sound stage and dynamics were immediately noticeable. My only regret is that I wish that I could have moved to separates sooner. My Rotel amps do not and will not be replaced unless they die.

Others may not be impressed with Rotel amps. A common element in many instances is that they do not have a quality pre amp. I can not express in words the importance of having a QUALITY pre amp. You may not achieve the results your desire without this vital link.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I agree that Rotel is a good brand. I almost purchased Rotel new and then I came across a nice used Krell at the same price. I've spoken to Rotel owners and Rotel is referred to as a good entry model into Hi-fi. The good receivers: Denon, Onkyo, Some Yamaha and HK are mid-fi. Everything else is low-fi.

Be careful though. Rotel doesn't really support balanced inputs (XLR connections). Yes, you can plug an XLR cable into the amp. But, the amp isn't a fully balanced configuration.

Also, I agree. A quality pre-amp is VERY important. Signal problems at the low-line-level are just enhanced by an amplifier. Preamps must be ultra-clean. A good pre-amp follows the straight wire with a gain philosophy. Pre-amps shouldn't alter the sound at all.
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Rskarvan, if I was in the same situation you were in, I would be the proud owner of a Krell amp. And you are correct, they do not support true XLR connections.

I am now testing a pair of LSi9 speakers in Rotel system. Have listened to one song and will let the speakers 'loosen up' before any serious listening.

Equipment Rotel RB-980BX amp and RC-980BX pre, Sony CDP-X202ES cd player and two (L and R) Definitive Tech ProSub 80's. Initial impressions: amazing. More in another thread...
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited January 2002
    Options
    My advise is go for it, Rotel amps are very smooth for music.
    The Wonder From Downunder