DQ-10's

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
OK, after a few minor snags, I picked up my DQ-10's today. They are in pretty good shape, dusty but nothing major. All drivers are in good shape, surrounds good. About 4 years ago, all the drivers were replaced and wiring upgraded.....

So, Wendi and I drove out to BFE and picked them up and brought 'em home. Took off the grilles, cleaned 'em all up and went to rearranging furniture.......

OMG, these things sound soooooo sweet, it is unbelievable. Transparency and soundstage like you wouldn't believe. Definition, man......I can't say enough about how these sound. Digging them large.

Drawbacks? A couple. The biggest is the WAF. On a scale of 1-10 these run about -8. Wendi is NOT a happy camper right now. These things are rather wide. 30 inches wide so they take up a lot of real estate. I am going to build stand for them but even that won't help me on that front.

The other is power, these bad boys like it. Man, I was listening to the William Tell Overature and the lights on the Carver were just going ballistic. So, yes, they do like power and lots of it.

Eventually, when I return to Wendi's good graces and come up with a preamp, these will go in to the man cave and the RT7's will return to thier rightful place...but until that time, about 3 years from now.....

Anyway, I just wanted to tell y'all about my new toys....and if things don't improve you will see them on the Flea Market for cheap...

Troy
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited January 2002
    My Arse, you MEANT to say they will end up at Russ' ranch.

What a classic Troy, good job. Incredibly accurate speakers, and power hungry. Hit the nail on the head. Amazing blend for a FIVE way speaker.

What finish did you end up with (grille fabric too)?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited January 2002
    I want to see some pictures, brother Troy! Congrats.

Aaron
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited January 2002
    Well it's about time. Congrats and many happy listenings.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TroyD
    edited January 2002
    Yes, I am digging them large.....

Oak side rails with black grill cloth....one of the logos is missing on one speaker. No biggie but it kind of bugs me....

One of the complaints that I have heard is that they were bass-shy.....well they don't go super low, they do produce a good amount of clean, articulate bass. I would say they people who think that aren't feeding them enough juice...

One last thing, using them with fronts, well they aren't a perfect blend with the polks, hey, they aren't bad.

Russ, that goes without saying, you have first dibs my brotha.....

I'll get my sisters digital camera and hopefully get some pics up for ya....

Troy
  • TroyD
    edited January 2002
    The lovely Wendi is starting to come around on these, though she won't admit it....

Last night she popped in her Duran Duran CD and was listening to "Ordinary World" and I caught her really digging it.

Maybe I have hope yet...

Troy