Speaker spikes

concealer404
concealer404 Posts: 7,440
edited July 2010 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
How the eff do i find out exactly what kind of spike that i need?

My speakers already have the mounting holes for spikes. They look like they've got a 1/4" round threaded section, and a 5/16" hex threaded section.

I can't seem to find anything on Parts Express that fits.
I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
Post edited by concealer404 on

Comments

• concealer404
    edited October 2009
    Bumpage?

Oh yeah. EMOTIVA!!!
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• vc69
    vc69 Posts: 2,500
    edited October 2009
    LoL.

I was going to post exactly the same question. I would like some spikes for my LS90's. So I guess I'll piggyback on yours if that's ok. :o
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • concealer404
    edited October 2009
    Oh, i SUPPOSE that's ok.... :p

Just going to be trying "little" tweaks over the next couple months. Speaker wire, speaker spikes, room treatments, and a DAC. Should make a HUGE difference. I hope.

• ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited October 2009
    room treatments, and a DAC. Should make a HUGE difference. I hope.

That's my boy!

Sorry, I don't know what spikes you need.
  • vc69
    edited October 2009
    Perhaps someone could point us toward some online sources?
    -Kevin
    HT: Philips 52PFL7432D 52" LCD 1080p / Onkyo TX-SR 606 / Oppo BDP-83 SE / Comcast cable. (all HDMI)B&W 801 - Front, Polk CS350 LS - Center, Polk LS90 - Rear
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • vc69
    edited October 2009
    Thanks NJ, I could not find the Madisound site for the life of me.:o

.. and I am definitely going to have to fund these myself.
    -Kevin
    2 Channel:
    Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Squeezebox Touch
    Muscial Fidelity M1 DAC
    VTL 2.5
    McIntosh 2205 (refurbed)
    B&W 801's
    Transparent IC's
  • concealer404
    edited October 2009
    Hrmm... looks like i'm going to have to borrow a tap and die set to figure out what size i need.

The ones at PartsExpress i found before, but i don't think they'll work. Arg. That's what i get for having uncommon speakers i guess. :(

Thanks NJ for the links, that gets me in the right direction. :)

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2009
    I had to e-mail the manufacturer to get mine.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited October 2009
    The Parts Express spikes are 6 mm. I use them on my SDA 2B's because I can not swing the Mye Sound spikes. I just through bolted my speakers by drilling through the bottom cap and bottom of the speaker cabinet and using a 60 mm long 6 mm bolt with a washer threaded into the Parts Express supplied t-nuts on the bottom of my speakers. I previously just had the t-nut hammered into the base cap. The difference after through bolting was surprising. Much more refined and powerful bass. Currently my speakers sit on spikes on top of 2" thick blue stone the same dimensions of the speaker which in turn sits on top of carpet over a concrete slab. I plan on ordering more Parts Express spikes to mount into the blue stone or build some 3 1/2" thick maple stands with the spikes also and see which sound the best. Which reminds me I need to order some spikes.

Scott
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Alright, here's the update:

Someone had already spiked these in the past it seems, but i ended up just taking them out and installing these:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-725

Verdict?

HOLY CRAP this is the best mod/tweak/anything i've done to this system yet. The bass tightened up, and there's a lot more "slam," percussiveness, just all around more powerful, even through the whole range. It takes a LOT more volume now before the sound starts to break up.

If you're on the fence about spiking, JUST DO IT. For $7 for two sets, you CANNOT go wrong.

Freddy can vouch for the difference. :)

Also worth mentioning that i now have these installed:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=109-064

They're still burning in, but initial impressions are VERY favorable. These things are monster huge, and the definition and soundstage are phenomenal when compared with the 14g Monster XP that i was using.

• Boomer Tug
    Boomer Tug Posts: 6
    edited December 2009
    Your post inspired me to install the spikes I received wth my new RTi A9s. I was very hesitant to use them in that the speakers weigh in over 70 lbs. each and the spikes make moving them into position very difficult if not impossible.

I'll have to admit that I am skeptical in your perception that "this is the best mod/tweak/anything I've done to this system yet" comment. But I cannot resist...
    Parasound P/HP 850 Preamp
    Pioneer SG-9800 EQ (vintage!)
    Rotel RB 981 Amp
    Definitive Technology Powerfield 1500 Sub
    Polk Audio RTi-A9s
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    It really is, though... I've heard way more different with these vs. switching preamps and/or interconnects.

• Boomer Tug
    Boomer Tug Posts: 6
    edited December 2009
    I'm convinced! I'll try the heavy-lifting tomorrow after a good night's sleep. Thanks!
    Parasound P/HP 850 Preamp
    Pioneer SG-9800 EQ (vintage!)
    Rotel RB 981 Amp
    Definitive Technology Powerfield 1500 Sub
    Polk Audio RTi-A9s
  • sTiLlLeArNiNg
    sTiLlLeArNiNg Posts: 805
    edited December 2009
    Nice! Good tweak for lil' cash! Anyone know where to find just the cap's so that you can run the spike's on a wood floor?
    Media Room 7.1
    Sharp lc37d64u | Sanus vmsab-03 | Sonax ZX8680 | Yamaha htr-6290b | Emotiva xpa1 x 2 & xpa5 | RTiA 9 & 7 | CSiA 6 | FXiA 6 | Sanus NF30B-03 | Velodyne dls-3750r | Dual 505-3 m97xe | Monster avs2000/hts5100

HTPC
    Intel e5300 | Asus p5q DLX | LG ch08 BD | OCZ 4g reaper2 | WD 1TB | Sapphire 4890 VaporX 1g | Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 | OCZ modXtreme 700w | Antec Fusion remote MAX

A fool and his money are easily parted
    I don't drink Koolaid

Need some cable's? Just ask :)
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited December 2009
    Nice! Good tweak for lil' cash! Anyone know where to find just the cap's so that you can run the spike's on a wood floor?

Brass pads for $4 each.

https://myesound.com/Points_n_pads.html
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2009
    Almost every Polk loudspeaker is 1/4"x20....including the new subwoofers.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    After more listening last night, i'm not even thinking about a sub anymore for 2-channel. :D These things are digging like crazy, it's full, it's tight, it slams you in the chest, and i'm completely floored that this wall of sound is coming from some tiny 2-way floorstanders with nothing more than a 6.5 woofer and a tweet.

The downside is that now i'm REALLY wondering what a set of Paradigm Monitor 11s would sound like in here... :D

• packetjones
    packetjones Posts: 1,059
    edited December 2009
    So they really make that much of a difference? When i hooked my A5's I did not put them on since it would make the speakers so ahrd to move around with out picking them up completely. I am sooo tempted to put them on now. I guess it is an easy tweak to try.

I never thought about it again, not putting spike on, till i read this post now i feel like i must try it. I will come back with my impressions.
    Front - RTiA5's
    Rear - RTiA3's
    Center - CSiA4
    Sub - PSW110
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    So they really make that much of a difference? When i hooked my A5's I did not put them on since it would make the speakers so ahrd to move around with out picking them up completely. I am sooo tempted to put them on now. I guess it is an easy tweak to try.

I never thought about it again, not putting spike on, till i read this post now i feel like i must try it. I will come back with my impressions.

ESPECIALLY if they're on carpet, i'd be very surprised if you didn't hear a marked difference.

• sTiLlLeArNiNg
    sTiLlLeArNiNg Posts: 805
    edited December 2009

Thank's :)
    Media Room 7.1
    Sharp lc37d64u | Sanus vmsab-03 | Sonax ZX8680 | Yamaha htr-6290b | Emotiva xpa1 x 2 & xpa5 | RTiA 9 & 7 | CSiA 6 | FXiA 6 | Sanus NF30B-03 | Velodyne dls-3750r | Dual 505-3 m97xe | Monster avs2000/hts5100

HTPC
    Intel e5300 | Asus p5q DLX | LG ch08 BD | OCZ 4g reaper2 | WD 1TB | Sapphire 4890 VaporX 1g | Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 | OCZ modXtreme 700w | Antec Fusion remote MAX

A fool and his money are easily parted
    I don't drink Koolaid

Need some cable's? Just ask :)
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Thanks is what?

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited December 2009
    One thing I really like about spikes that is not sound related:

Once you get them set in place, level and exactly where you want them, they will not slide or go anywhere even if bumped on accident. Handy when you got kids!
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    They aren't hard to re-position. You just have to learn the single spiked waltz when you tweak.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2009
    That's a great discription and I've waltzed with alot of big boned speakers in my time.:D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2009
    Hey now! :D
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited December 2009
    I have to bear hug my speakers to lift them onto the maple blocks that are spiked to the floor through the carpet. You gotta mind your toes when you take them off the blocks. I still hate moving them. Bookies are much easier:D
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited December 2009
    I just bear huged my SRS2's to get them off the movers dollies and damn those things are heavy. I did redo the other speakers bottom plate a couple months ago but had my wife help with fliping them.I was medicated also so I didn't feel too much weight put on me then and she was a big help then for sure.

Well, this 135 lb speaker feels like a 300 lb load by yourself.I went to lay it down and about 1" from the floor I let it go. I should have tried to lay one corner down first but I didn't. THWACK (like two magnets slaming together) was the sound I heard and I thought maybe all the magnets would've shifted on the MWers but I don't think so since there no scratching sound pushing on them.

How did Polk audio manufacture these behemoths back then?? WOW

Well the old spike sockets were in realy bad shape like the rest of these speakers stuff has been so I just ordered new spikes with sockets from Parts express and hope my spare brass spikes will fit the sockets.They should.Pics will follow as soon as I get them around Sat.;)

I feel for Ben and his Franken-Polks that he lifted somehow up those stairs. WOW, an amazing feat of strength and determination!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2009
    Tony thats not good!! Pictures please.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited December 2009
    For additonal tweakage, if you have carpet, place your spiked speakers on a 18" x 18" clay tile. I have my Energy's spiked, then sitting in brass bases on a clay tile. The tiles cost about $3 bucks each at Home Depot, Lowes, etc..
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2