Denon avr-4800 vs. avr-3802

m.hibbs
m.hibbs Posts: 8
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I am looking to buy a new receiver in the $1000 range. Basically, I am trying to decide between the Denon avr-4800 and the new avr-3802 (both of which can be had for $1000). I like the additional coax digital inputs on the 4800 (I have DAT decks and some other things that need these) and the THX compatibility (although it requires another amp) But, the 3802 has more DTS decoding options and Dolby Pro Logic II. I have the RM7500s so this thing would be used to power those. Any thoughts?

mitch
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited January 2002
    No real advice here, just saying I really lke my 3802.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited January 2002
    I looked at the 4800 before I got my 3801. I couldn't afford it, as at the time the 3801 was several hundred dollars cheaper. They're not really the same class of receiver though, if you ask me.

Either will have sufficient power for your current needs. I'm not sure how big a deal DPLII is to you. Personally I think it's overblown. The 4800 is almost certainly the "better" receiver. If you can get either for $1K, then my vote is for the 4800.

That said, I really like my 3801.:)
  • trend1
    trend1 Posts: 36
    edited January 2002
    Mitch, I was in the same boat as you two weeks ago and I ended up purchasing the 3802. The 3802 was $300 dollars cheaper (3802=$700 the 4800=$999) I love the 3802 it has everything I need and it sounds great! With the money I saved I purchased the Polk 450 sub ($320)!

trend
    Mains: Polk RTi 12 (Bi-Wired)
    Center: Polk CSi 5
    Surrounds: Polk FXi 3
    Rear: Polk FXi 3
    Sub: Polk PSW505
    Receiver: Denon 3805
    Power Amp: 2 Outlaw M-Blocks
  • m.hibbs
    m.hibbs Posts: 8
    edited January 2002
    Thanks guys. I actually decided to go w/ the 4800 for a few reasons. I decided that I don't really care all that much about Pro Logic 2. I also decided that coax digital inputs are really important to me. I have a couple of studio DAT decks, as well as a CD player that all have coax digital outs only (for the record, I think it sucks that optical is more accepted than coax). Plus, the 4800 will do 5.1 THX and has the ablility to do THX EX w/ an additional amp. In the end, the 4800 just seemed like a lot more receiver for the money. My current reciever is way underpowered, so I can't wait to throw some real power at these speakers.

mitch