SPL - Digital or Analog

Options
schumach
schumach Posts: 199
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I am looking a purchasing a SPL to set my speaker levels. I would like some opinions on the digital and analog units.

On a side note if anyone has used AVIA and Video Essentials if they could tell me which fine tune DVD worked best for them that would also be helpful.

Greg
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I went with the analog because there was a pretty good price diffence. I would say that if it is just for personal use go with the analog. If you do it for many HT setups maybe the digital. You are going to have variances from speaker to speaker and you can see that even more with digital. It depends alot on the room acoustics and equipment. Decause of the decibal increments in my Onkyo I can not get every speaker the exact same but pretty close. Anyway the analog worked fine for me.
    I have only used video essentials and I was also wondering if anyone has used both and what they prefer. I am more interested in the video calibration. The audio is very easy once you know how to do it. But I have a front projection system that has many settings like gamma and independent coler setting and I havent got the picture at its best yet. Anyone? 2cents
    :cool:
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Hi:

I have the Avia and it serves me very well. Has everything I need in a setup CD.

Gary
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    Options
    i can also vouche for the AVIA disc, it is great as a set-up tool. i don't have any experience with the video essentials though, so no basis for comparision, sorry...
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited January 2002
    Options
    As far as SPL meters I have gone to my local R.S., where I know the manager. I get the SPL I needtake it home use it and bring it back for a refund since I would only use it once in a while. If you are going to do many setups this would not be an option for you.

Scott-Is ISF calibration an option for you? I have had them do my TVs and it was an amazing difference even after I did the setup videos. Just a thought. For anyone who can lay out the money, here it was a couple Franklins. I had to pay for him to come from Tampa which was an all day job counting travel.
    Chris :)
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited January 2002
    Options
    CHRIS, ya--that is something to think about but I live in a small town and someone would have to travil aleast a couple hours. Too much money and what a hassel. I am a do-it-yourdam-selfer. Ha! I will just have to put the time in myself, I will get there eventually. Thanks
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited January 2002
    Options
    Maybe getting the service manual would be benifical for you. I have a site bookmarked which has the XBR service codes and if you have the manual you can do a good job yourself with the combined info. Maybe you could do a search for your TVs service codes and see what you come up with. Just an idea, I got my geometry and other settings better doing this before ISF came. Which was about 6 months later.
    Chris :)