Amplifire questions

Options
TrappedUnder Ice
TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I have for a while..been thinkning about adding some seperate amps to my HT. I am looking at Odyssey amplifiers. They got some pretty good support by peeps on the Hometheater site!

While on the site, the company was talking about using thier product. they are definatly a bit "higher" end than what I'm used to> the mass market stuff...
They talked about leaving the amplifier on all the time to keep the sound - at peak performance- and that it would take a couple of hours to reach that after break-in..iwich was couple hundred hours) if you turned it off after each use. there was some more detail about the charging of the caps etc...and even had a capacitor upgrade for thier amps...

Is this new, are they crazy..or is this just a different level I'm not used to in the quality of the product. for those who have "higher" end componants... do you leave your amps on 24/7? do you notice a difference if you dont?

Going to amps that can drive 4ohms is kind of setting me up for the Lsi's... so any info would be helpful. Also..if you can offer other brands in that catagory..

I can get a 2 channel for @ a grand..3 channel for 1500 ....150w per channel and the specs look great. 2yrs on labor- 20yrs on parts and this is direct from the company www.odysseyaudio.com

thanx again..thomas a.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited January 2002
    Options
    They got some pretty good support by peeps on the Hometheater site!
    Check out the review at SoundStage if you haven't already.
    They talked about leaving the amplifier on all the time to keep the sound - at peak performance- and that it would take a couple of hours to reach that after break-in..iwich was couple hundred hours) if you turned it off after each use. there was some more detail about the charging of the caps etc...and even had a capacitor upgrade for thier amps...
    While I do believe in break-in, I don't see why a solid state amplifier would need a warm-up period. Even if it did, I can't imagine it would take more than a few minutes.
    do you leave your amps on 24/7?
    If I know I'm going to be around for the majority of the day and want to listen to music, then I will leave my stuff on. I never leave it on all night, though I know some people do that.

Aaron