New to car audio sub + amp questions

redcorn
redcorn Posts: 5
edited September 2009 in Car Subwoofer Talk
Hey guys,

I'm new to this stuff, but have been learning a lot in the last week or so.

A while back I bought that Visonik VBB212, it's 2 12" with a 2 channel amp claiming a 1000watt system.

Now I am assuming that it is a 500 rms, 250 rms per-side.

I was talking with my friend who knows a little bit more them me because I was thinking about replacing the 12s with a couple of nice pioneers, then down the road get a better amp.

Instead I ended up getting a 15" Polk MM2154 and built myself a box to the dimensions that they have on the site. http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/recent/mm2154

Now I have them wired to the same amp, with the 12s wired normal just right and left, then I have the 15" wired to the Left Pos. and the Right Neg., that is considered "bridging" correct?

1. The amp is a 4 ohm and all the subs are, wiring all 3 like this does that drop the ohms? I think it would bring it to like 6.x?

2. I guess what I am wondering is what do you think of how I have it set up?

3. What would a higher watt amp with a RMS of like 1000 do, make it sound better, or would it over power my system?

4. Is it stupid for me to dick around with lower quality subs like the visonik
12"ers or should I just go with the Polk with a nice Mono amp?

5. What if I purchased a better amp for my subs, and then used this amp to power my 6 1/2" speakers?

6. I am not really sure what amping my 6 1/2"s speakers would do, these are the ones I just got for my Jetta; http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10569320

Any input would be great, thanks guys.
Post edited by redcorn on

Comments

• ahardy17
    ahardy17 Posts: 84
    edited September 2009
    redcorn wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm new to this stuff, but have been learning a lot in the last week or so.

A while back I bought that Visonik VBB212, it's 2 12" with a 2 channel amp claiming a 1000watt system.

Now I am assuming that it is a 500 rms, 250 rms per-side.

I was talking with my friend who knows a little bit more them me because I was thinking about replacing the 12s with a couple of nice pioneers, then down the road get a better amp.

Instead I ended up getting a 15" Polk MM2154 and built myself a box to the dimensions that they have on the site. http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/recent/mm2154

Now I have them wired to the same amp, with the 12s wired normal just right and left, then I have the 15" wired to the Left Pos. and the Right Neg., that is considered "bridging" correct?

1. The amp is a 4 ohm and all the subs are, wiring all 3 like this does that drop the ohms? I think it would bring it to like 6.x?

2. I guess what I am wondering is what do you think of how I have it set up?

3. What would a higher watt amp with a RMS of like 1000 do, make it sound better, or would it over power my system?

4. Is it stupid for me to dick around with lower quality subs like the visonik
    12"ers or should I just go with the Polk with a nice Mono amp?

5. What if I purchased a better amp for my subs, and then used this amp to power my 6 1/2" speakers?

6. I am not really sure what amping my 6 1/2"s speakers would do, these are the ones I just got for my Jetta; http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10569320

Any input would be great, thanks guys.

1. that's not bridging. that's improperly wiring too much stuff to a stereo amp. depends if the subs are single voice coils or not. if they are and they're just wired to the amp with their own channel then the amp is seeing 4 ohms per channel from them plus whatever load the polk is putting on it. if thre amp is bridgeable the terminals should be marked and that sounds like the right way to do it but not with the other speakers hooked up too. you have to pick one or the other. by that i mean you have to pick the polk haha

2. i think you should sell those other 2 subs and just keep the polk and that amp for now. it's silly to have all 3 of those.

3. a more powerful amp would provide more clean power to the sub(s) and generally make it louder and cleaner

4. go with the polk and get a nice mono amp for it. a 15 is plenty of sub.

5. that's not a bad idea. my old sub amp got demoted to pushing speakers recently

6. too lazy/drunk to deal with links. pushing those speakers with an amp would be benficial and provide more clean power

7. welcome aboard. beware the polkies, they don't like monster cable or bose around here.

8. if you have any other questions, fire away
    In-Car:
    Head Unit: Sony MEX-1GP
    Door speakers: Infinity Kappa 680.9cs
    Rear speakers: Polk db690
    Subwoofers: Memphis Audio 15-M3124
    Amps: Pioneer GM5300T, Kenwood KAC 6020, Memphis Audio MCD1.1100

In-Home:
    Harmon/Kardon AVR 230
    Harmon/Kardon DVD 101
    Yamaha RX-V995
    Bose 161