Parasound Phono Stage

cmy330go
cmy330go Posts: 2,341
edited August 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Does anyone here have any experience with the Parasound PPH-100 Phono Stage pre-amp?

I recently purchased a Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable with the factory mounted high output moving coil cartridge. (Goldring Eroica H)

As of right now I am just running it into the phono input of my Yamaha RX-V2300 Receiver. The overall sound of the table is quite satisfying. However I am now in a situation where my table has to sit about 10' from my receiver. Since I had to move it further away and use a longer cable I have found that the imaging is now a little blurred. I have tried to resolve this by trying an assortment of interconnects, but can't seem to improve it much.

A friend suggested getting a basic phono stage to eliminate my issue.

First of all do any of you think that this will resolve my issue?
And second if it will. Is this a respectable phono stage to use?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
HT
Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
Post edited by cmy330go on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited August 2003
    MC output is an extemely low voltage signal to travel any distance. I think your own observation are telling you that shortening tis run is a good move (and I agree, it is).

I don't know the Parasound. My phone Pre is an Audio Alchemy Vac-in-the-Box (VITB). The VITB can handle either MM or MC. Very nice and a step up from the phone section of my old Yammie C-2 preamp. My experience is with MM cartridges, however.

The VITB can be had on ebay or at Audiogon. Going rate is around $150. AA went out of business a while ago... :(

The Sumiko phono pre looks very much like the VITB reborn. It's $119 at Audio Advisor.

Creek Audio also makes nice phono pre's, but there you chose either MM or MC.

Others will be along to comment on other phone pre's I'm sure.

Are looking at the PPH-100? What MC are you running?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    What MC are you running?

Thanks for the info.

I'm using the "Goldring Eroica H" Cartridge. I'm still pretty new to this, but from what I've read (stereophile) this is supposed to be a really good setup.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,