in leiu of subwoofers...

Options
juice21
juice21 Posts: 1,866
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
it is concerning bi-amping. can you bi-amp using a reciever and an external amplifier?

this is what i'm thinking. running the reciever's speaker outputs to the speaker's high frequency input while simultaneously running the reciever's pre-outs to an external amp, and the amp to the speaker's low-level inputs...

do the pre-outs on the reciever over-ride/interfere with the signal running from the reciever's speaker outputs?

any thoughts, suggestions, comments on this....

(thought this may be an interesting topic...)
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited January 2002
    Options
    I'm sure your mileage may vary, but I think in most cases it would be detrimental to use the receiver over an amp even in a horizontal bi-amp scenario like you're describing. Most likely using just the amp would produce better results. And yes, you can use the speaker outputs in conjunction with the preouts, unless you have one of those Yamaha receivers where you have to remove the jumpers for the main preouts. Then you're screwed.

Aaron
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited January 2002
    Options
    i think 2 external amps would run best in an ideal bi-amping set-up, i just wasn't sure if doing it with 1 amp and a reciever would be a better set-up than just one amp and using the reciever as pre-pro...
  • shrek001
    shrek001 Posts: 51
    edited January 2002
    Options
    your much better off using two amps... try condersing the Marantz mono blocks, they are small, powerful and very warm, great for music.... and afforadable or a parasound 2 channel amp bi-wire ready..... check audio advisor, they have some good close out prices on the parasound...