Harman Kardon vs. Onkyo

bigsexy1
bigsexy1 Posts: 557
edited July 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
For 2 channel stereo music listening only, a HK 3475 receiver passively biamped with a HK PA2000 power amp or an Onkyo TX8511 receiver passively biamped with an Onkyo M282 power amp? I have a Circuit City gift card that would pretty much cover either set up. Or other options from other brands, such as Denon, Marantz, NAD, Rotel, Adcom, etc.?
Opinions wanted please, and thanks in advance.
Post edited by bigsexy1 on

Comments

• GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited July 2003
    Dude, YOU have to make this decision.

I like both companies, and as far as the level of gear that CC carries, I think you're looking at good options. I don't know how much adding a power amp with a similar power rating from the same company as the reciever is going to improve the sound, but you can go for it anyway.

But yeah, they have different sounds to them, I own Onkyo, but many people prefer HK. It's all about getting into a demo room where you can A/B the two.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2003
    Ford or Chevy? What should I get?

Demo them both, take home the one you like best like Ghead said.

G, I think he is wanting to bi-amp, using the rec's 2ch amp, and adding the external 2ch amp.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2003
    I agree with Russ and Guitarhead. You'll have to make the decision. Both are great units and only your ears can decide which one is better.

I've heard both Oink and H/K receivers (HT receivers) with music and HT. TO MY EARS, the H/K is more punchy and Oink has a more neutral sound. I heard them with RT speakers. What are you running for mains?

Maurice