got some new vintage 2ch stuff.... need specs

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited July 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
... and yes, I tried google. I just picked up a Marantz SR225 Stereo Receiver for $6, and a Marantz Automatic Turntable Model TT140 (with an Audio Technica LS840/LT cartridge) (also $6). Therefore, I automatically have a few questions-

1. Where can I find specs on this receiver? The only thing it has on the back is the speaker impedance. It only has hookups for 1 pair of speakers. Everything on the front is pushbuttons and knobs, nothing digital. It pushes my Polk 5JRs quite effortlessly, which makes me think it has a decent wattage rating....

2. Is the turntable good? How about the cartridge? I've yet to hook it up, just because I need to find somewhere to put it :-).

To anyone who replies, thanks...

Nadams
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2003
    If you want to call 25 watts a channel "a decent wattage rating", go right ahead.

Manufactured from 1984-1985, at a MSRP of $150. I'm thinking 40-20,000 cycle frequency response, and no 4 ohm capability. Yup, I think you have a fine receiver..... to put in a 10 yr old kids room.

Sorry it wasn't the answer you were hoping for. Turntable and cartridge might be okay to use as a reference when playing "Lassie Come Home."

Those specs come from a 1999 Audio Blue Book. In '99, in AVERAGE condition, the receiver was worth $10, and the table, $6. Have a good holiday. Turntable was $90 MSRP in '84.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited July 2003
    I found that a condescending response, Mr. Grand. And quite unnecessarily so.

Nadams.. hey, if it works, it works. As long as you don't push the receiver too hard it should be adequate to provide decent volume. I'd contact Marantz directly to see if you can track down some specs. I'd get on the phone and get to a tech of some sort.. better response than an email to customer service.

My first real receiver was a 40wpc Sansui back when retail was ten bucks a watt (bought it new in 1982). It provided more than ample power for most listening short of a wild party. Hardly a need to relegate to a child's room. This 'need' for more watts is dubious in many daily listening scenarios.

If the TT spins and provides a decent level of isolation, it should serve. Make sure you ground it. The worry on the cartidge would be the stylus. There isn't much to go wrong on a cartridge, but the stylus does wear. Also, if it isn't a P-mount, I'd check (or have checked) the mounting/alignment of the cartridge. Contact AT about settings on the TT (tracking weight, etc). Also... I'd replace the belt. Should cost you about $6.

There are several places on the internet that will most likely have a stylus for you. Depending on price, you may be better off just buying a new cartridge. You can get a decent cartridge.. not the best.. but it'll work great... for $40-$60. Spend more if you want.
  • George Grand
    edited July 2003
    I can't please everyone, Mr. Burdette. Would love to report that he found a real nugget. But that's not the case is it?

• nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited July 2003
    George- Although your post had a deal of information, your attitude sucks. 25wpc is just fine, as long at it's 25 true watts. My old (older than this Marantz) Pioneer SX-450 was rated at 15WPC, and it can push my system like nothing (though it does top out faster than my more modern JVC 100wpc amp). And hey, some people like Lassie Come Home.

Burdette- Thanks for your much more civil post. The only problem that I can seem to find with this amp is the fact that it has a HORRIBLE power-on thump. I'm afraid it's going to damage my speakers severely. And, after you turn it off, it will suck the speakers in a little bit, then return them to their normal position. This kinda hints to me that the power circuits may not be the best.....

Nadams
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • George Grand
    edited July 2003
    My entire mid to late afternoon period is going to be ruined. Why couldn't I have put a more positive "spin" on my response?

I like "Lassie Come Home". It was the first record I ever owned. I played it on the first record player I ever owned. I was 5.

Sir, it's a piece of junk, from the lowest point in Marantz' history. Better luck on your next purchase.

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2003
    Well "junk" or not. nadams is only out what appears to be about $12. but it does work anyway. Yes it's not a vintage classic Marantz receiver.. but, it does work, and for a second or third two channel set up.. it may well be worth much more than that.

enjoy it.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: