RTi10 or Paradigm Studio 100 V1

ZOOPDOOP22
ZOOPDOOP22 Posts: 158
edited March 2009 in Speakers
I was surprised to find some Paradigm Studio 100 V1's for sale for 600 near by. Has anyone heard these speakers before? I will go listen to them of course but I haven't been able to find too much info on the V1s on the web. If there is any knowledge about these speakers from a technical standpoint? It is late so I'll talk to the seller tomorrow but I want to know what the product is I'm supposedly interested in.

All I know is it uses a Vifa..
Post edited by ZOOPDOOP22 on

Comments

• CRESCENDOPOWER
    CRESCENDOPOWER Posts: 153
    edited February 2009
    It will depend strictly on the electronics you use. The Studio 100’s in my opinion are one of the greatest audio products ever produced per dollar. The midrange, and bass response is so good it could be easily be compared with speakers twice the price.
    For $600 anyone would be lying to you if they told you you could do better especially if you are looking to cover most of the frequency range.
  • Hawkeye
    Hawkeye Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2009
    The Studio 100 V1 replaced my RT2000i which I could never get the powered bottom to sound "just" right to me. As mentioned above, they will respond to what you put into them. With just an AVR, it was OK. After some amplification (220 watts) was applied, they were a completely different speaker. I kept and used them for about 7 years. I had bought a pair of Signature S8 to replace them which in hindsight was a mistake on my part. The Studio was an all around excellent performer to me and I sold mine for $750 so it seems you're getting a good deal if you like the sound of Paradigm.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    Martin Logan Spire, 2 JL Audio F112 subs
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
    Symposium Rollerblocks 2+ (16)Black Diamond Racing Mk 3 pits (8)
  • rubin
    rubin Posts: 565
    edited March 2009
    Hawkeye wrote: »
    The Studio 100 V1 replaced my RT2000i which I could never get the powered bottom to sound "just" right to me. As mentioned above, they will respond to what you put into them. With just an AVR, it was OK. After some amplification (220 watts) was applied, they were a completely different speaker. I kept and used them for about 7 years. I had bought a pair of Signature S8 to replace them which in hindsight was a mistake on my part. The Studio was an all around excellent performer to me and I sold mine for $750 so it seems you're getting a good deal if you like the sound of Paradigm.

Gordon
    Why were the sig. 8's a mistake.
  • rubin
    edited March 2009
    I was surprised to find some Paradigm Studio 100 V1's for sale for 600 near by. Has anyone heard these speakers before? I will go listen to them of course but I haven't been able to find too much info on the V1s on the web. If there is any knowledge about these speakers from a technical standpoint? It is late so I'll talk to the seller tomorrow but I want to know what the product is I'm supposedly interested in.

All I know is it uses a Vifa..

I have tho 100 v2's, according to stereophile the top end is an improvment over the v1's the bass remains the same.

I"m keeping mine!!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited March 2009
    rubin wrote: »
    Why were the sig. 8's a mistake.

Price to performance ratio is my guess.If you can snag the P's for 600 clams,do it.It's a good all around speaker,that can play different types of music with ear pleasing ease.Word of caution,check them out,listen to them before you buy,at that price,I'm just curious if it may have a blown woofer or tweet.Don't mean to scare you,all may be well,just check first is all I'm saying.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rubin
    edited March 2009
    tonyb wrote: »
    Price to performance ratio is my guess.If you can snag the P's for 600 clams,do it.It's a good all around speaker,that can play different types of music with ear pleasing ease.Word of caution,check them out,listen to them before you buy,at that price,I'm just curious if it may have a blown woofer or tweet.Don't mean to scare you,all may be well,just check first is all I'm saying.

RU using paradigm speakers? Hawkeye siad the s8's were a mistake ---wonder why?
  • Hawkeye
    edited March 2009
    I was getting itchy to get some new speakers. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Studio 100. Anyway, went to the dealer and listened to the S8 and loved them. After getting them home and doing "extended" listening, the tweeter became too harsh to my ear and fatigue would quickly set in. I tried just about everything, i.e. amps, room treatments, pre and wires in a vain attempt to tone down the highs. The woodwork on the case was just stunning and they looked like they belonged in the room.

A buddy of mine bought the Studio's from me and every time I go to his house I kick myself for parting with them. Not that I would not have changed to the Martin Logan, but I could have saved myself a large chunk of change by skipping the S8 altogether if I had known about the fatigue.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
    McIntosh C1000 Controller with Tube pre amp, 2 MC501 amplifiers, MD1K Transport & DAC, MR-88 Tuner
    WireWorld Eclipse 6.0 speaker wire and jumpers, Eclipse 5^2 Squared Balanced IC's. Silver Eclipse PCs (5)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited March 2009
    rubin wrote: »
    RU using paradigm speakers? Hawkeye siad the s8's were a mistake ---wonder why?

No,but I have heard them both.Why do you think he said they were a mistake?Take a stab at it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rubin
    edited March 2009
    I would say cost vs performance comparison is the main issue.Metal tweets can be a prob.I bi-amp mine and cut (adjust output to the top end) to tame them.I'm sensative to shrill treble.Human ears are by nature more responsive to high frequency,btw I also use a tube pre.
  • Hawkeye
    edited March 2009
    I don't subscribe to the cost/performance ratio way of thinking. I'm of the mind set if it sounds right to me, I don't care what it will cost if it is within my budget. Expensive or inexpensive does not guide my choices. The Martin Logan Vantage (intermediate speakers) were 5.5K while the S8 was 6.4K. So you see, I stepped down in price for my "perceived" improvement which was real to me.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
  • rubin
    edited March 2009
    Sorry u were disapointed with the s8's
  • Hawkeye
    edited March 2009
    Rubin do you have a pair? If so, I'd like to hear what you think of them. I thought the bottom and mids were just stellar! My amps had enough umph to control all those woofers magically.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
  • rubin
    edited March 2009
    Hawkeye wrote: »
    I don't subscribe to the cost/performance ratio way of thinking. I'm of the mind set if it sounds right to me, I don't care what it will cost if it is within my budget. Expensive or inexpensive does not guide my choices. The Martin Logan Vantage (intermediate speakers) were 5.5K while the S8 was 6.4K. So you see, I stepped down in price for my "perceived" improvement which was real to me.

Gordon
    No presumption intended,I thought the s8 tweet was a vast improvement over the 100's.Since you indicated your satisfaction with the 100's Were the s8 tweeters harsh by comparison?
  • rubin
    edited March 2009
    Hawkeye....I have the 100v2 powered with a pair (dont laugh) nad 270's. I had a bryston 4bsst but prefer the nad's. What amps did you use?Mc501'S?Yes they make good bass, I'm not a fan of metal tweeters(prefer textile domes). The bryston was too bright,the nads are laid back, less involved,but it's what I prefer.I also use a tube pre which also darkened the sound a little.

Mike
  • Hawkeye
    edited March 2009
    Mike, No offense taken! It can be difficult online getting points across without tone or facial cues :D Believe me, I will never, ever laugh at any gear somebody uses. This hobby is so singular and personal that nothing is right or wrong in my opinion. The Bryston is a nice piece but if you like the NAD, that's all that matters.

I ran the Studio/S8 with a B&K pre and 220 wattt B&K amp. Still brutal on my ears. Then I went to a McIntosh MC352 amp and it still was not right. The tubed pre, a McIntosh C2200 was next and things settled down a bit. The 501's came next and the S8's settled down a bit more but the fatigue was still there.

I actually prefered the tweet in the Studio over the S8. I could listen to that speaker for hours. My ears are very sensative to shrill highs due to being around jet engines for 30 years. Add in the silver wires I tried and it felt like my ears were bleeding!!.

I eventually went outside the "box" with an ESL which has no tweets at all and now everything is fine in Maryland! The dynamics on the ESL do not have the slam of a box speaker, but a good sub makes up for it.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
  • rubin
    edited March 2009
    Thanks Gordon,sounds like u have gone through the thick of things.Shrill higns...I understand. I use to be an aircraft mechanic. Do u still have the mac's.

Mike
  • rubin
    edited March 2009
    Yes ur correct Zero. Thats y I cut the input to the tweets.It makes for a duller sound but I can't handle razor highs any more
  • Hawkeye
    edited March 2009
    Razor highs. I know what you mean! And it does not matter if your listening to a violin or a burning electic guitar ala Jimmie Hendrix. I think our present or past line of work has an impact on how we hear. That is why I had to get away from tweeters. I was this close to buying a a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C1 or C2. My dealer let me bring home a pair of C1's and after 3 days I knew that tweeters were not going to work for my ears. I'm not technically savvy enough to know why the an ESL does not hurt my ears but I know they don't.

Mike, I don't know if you have treatments in your room but they can help to a point. Not only will they firm up the mids and bottom, the highs can be slightly tamed as well. It is something you may try to take the edge off and if they don't roll it off enough, you'll still have them for your new speaks if that is the route your planning to go.

Gordon

Yes, I still have an all Mcintosh rig. I'm not sure why my sig is not showing
    2 Channel -
  • rubin
    edited March 2009
    Excuse my ignorance Gordon but what do u mean by ESL.My listening room is filled with puffy furniture and a deep pile carpet.The highs have been tamed to my satisfaction ,some people have said the music is lifeless(boring?) but so be it, music is a personal experiance.

Mike
  • Hawkeye
    edited March 2009
    An ESL is an Electrostatic Loudspeaker. Several manufactures such as Martin Logan, Sound Labs and Sanders all produce them. Some of them use a full panel for all frequencies and some are a hybrid using a woofer for the bottom. They can be somewhat finicky and do require more space to make them sound their best. They are a dipole design and tend to add an ambience to the music which may be absent in standard box speakers.

Gordon
    2 Channel -
  • rubin
    edited March 2009
    Ok got it

Mike
  • This is and old post but I thought I would add to it being I own 5 Pair's of Studio V1 & V2 Tower's. The difference in sound between my 100 V1 and 100 V2 is subtle and I can't even say it's better. The V1 are a little harsher but it's changes to the crossover network and possibly the cabinet changes that infuence the subtle difference in sound as the tweeters and woofers are identical except the dust cap on the mid. The difference between the V1 and V2 60's is basically none that I can hear. My last pair are Studlo 80 V1 and are used on my center channel. Do not over look studio 80's! They are better sounding to me over the 60's and almost as good as the 100's and typically go for half as much used as 100's making them a real bargain second hand. All use the same exact tweeters and timbre match well together so any mix of V1 and V2 should work very well together. I run all mine on used and equally old Adcom amps. A GFA 2535 runs the 2 pair's of 60's on side and rear surrounds. A GFA 5300 runs the 80's on center channel. I run both pair's of 100's on the mains with a Adcom GFA 545 & 545MkII. A Adcom GFA 5400 runs a pair of Dayton Ultimax 10's in custom ported and tuned to 23Hz cabinets along with a Adcom 555 running a pair of Dayton Ultimax 12", again in custom ported and tuned to 18Hz cabinets. It's overkill as my neihbors would hate me if I took advantage of the entire setup. The subs are off most of the time. The Studio 100 and 80 have plenty of low end by themselves on quality amps. My preamp is going to get ridiculed but it works quite well as one. A Pioneer VSX 1121-K.