amps and SDA's

Options
nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
edited February 2009 in Vintage Speakers
I know this has been talked about to death, but I have one more question and cannot find the answer...

I have been quite happy with the vastly improved performance of my SDA-1c's since I got my hands on a Carver tfm-35 to drive them. In the spirit of more is better when driving SDA's, (I already know that tubes rule...)I am considering the purchase of another TFM-35 and using them in a mono configuration to drive my Polks.

If I set them up in this fashion, will it be nessesary to run one of Ben's fancy interconnects or will I be ok without one...

As always my thanks...;)
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
Post edited by nooshinjohn on

Comments

• ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2009
    Options
    You will definitely need an A1. I am not a huge fan of bridging amps, but maybe someone else who has bridged the Carvers will chime in.
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I am by NO MEANS an authority on the subject but, it's pretty much agreed that bridging messes up the bass and gives loosey goosey damping. The other matter (at least with Carvers) is that anything less than 8ohms for load, is really asking for trouble with the amp in bridged mode. Lots of threads/posts on this over at CarverAudio.com- Just tried a search over there and the search feature is down right now, if you post your question I'm sure OBI56 will give you a detailed answer.:)

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/index.php
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Oh yeah, if you want more is better action...just get a TFM-55 and call it good! 380wpc @ 8ohms & 600wpc @ 4ohms I'd guess that the Polk's would fall somewhere in the middle of those ratings.:D
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    edited February 2009
    Options
    you guys and your watts.......30wpc here with 1C's and doing better than ever!!! Bridging is not recommended for a variety of reasons already mentioned.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Marty913
    Marty913 Posts: 760
    edited February 2009
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    you guys and your watts.......30wpc here with 1C's and doing better than ever!!! Bridging is not recommended for a variety of reasons already mentioned.

I know, it amazes me the number of current forum discussions regarding the sonic benefits of 400 watts per channel versus 250. Admittedly the SDA's benefit from a little more current but my thinking is some of the current group of perfect-sound-chasers could not have survived in the late 60's - mid-70's.

Being "stuck" with a Dual turntable into a Marantz 2215 (or 4240 if you were really well off) driving a pair of AR, Scott,or Klipsch would have too painful to bear. I remember being awake all night worrying about benefits of 25 watts versus 40. Oh wait, that not why I was awake, I was actually listening to the music (among other things). Maybe we need fewer watts and better music??
    Sony 60'' SXRD 1080p
    Amp = Carver AV-705THX 5-Channel
    Processor = NAD T747
    Panasonic BD35 Blu-Ray
    Main = SDA-1C Studio with RD0s, spikes, XO rebuild, rings, I/C upgrade
    Center=Polk CS10, Surround = Athena Dipoles, Sub= Boston 12HO
    Music/Video Streaming = Netgear NEO550
    TT = Audio Technica
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Yes, I can sympathize with "watt chasers" as sometimes room dimensions (very large listening rooms) can benefit.............but I always look at other things like topology, design, components, etc.

I'll concede that with my 30wpc I won't win a pure SPL competition, but my single ended pure class A 30 watts sound better than anything I've auditioned in a long time. If I move to a very large listening area I'd have to get a bit more juice for louder listening.

My current amp has twice the filter capacitance of my old 125wpc amp and is more dynamic in every way. I have no trouble sitting 6 feet away and hitting 95dB and the amp isn't even straining at that point.

Just throwing it out there as an example of watts and specs don't mean a whole lot..........or are merely a small part of the entire picture.

I wouldn't bridge the amps in this scenario as the added watts aren't worth the sacrafice in sound quality and I'm pretty sure the Carver's won't like the impedance of the 1C's when bridged (not many amps do).

YMMV

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I'm running my 4.1TLs off of 16wpc tubes with good success. :D One of these days I'm going to A/B with that amp my 500wpc SS and see what the SQ difference is.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Yes, I can sympathize with "watt chasers" as sometimes room dimensions (very large listening rooms) can benefit.............but I always look at other things like topology, design, components, etc.

I'll concede that with my 30wpc I won't win a pure SPL competition, but my single ended pure class A 30 watts sound better than anything I've auditioned in a long time. If I move to a very large listening area I'd have to get a bit more juice for louder listening.

My current amp has twice the filter capacitance of my old 125wpc amp and is more dynamic in every way. I have no trouble sitting 6 feet away and hitting 95dB and the amp isn't even straining at that point.

Just throwing it out there as an example of watts and specs don't mean a whole lot..........or are merely a small part of the entire picture.

I wouldn't bridge the amps in this scenario as the added watts aren't worth the sacrafice in sound quality and I'm pretty sure the Carver's won't like the impedance of the 1C's when bridged (not many amps do).

YMMV

H9

H9, what kind of AMP are your running ? Probably was mis-guided when I bought my Carver TFM-45. It does sound great but I am curious how it might stack up againest a lower wpc AMP.

No disingenuous intent here just trying to learn.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Pass Labs Aleph 30 is what I'm running. I have no doubt the Carver is a nice capable amp that many here own and are happy with. I was simply commenting (in general) with people wanting to "bridge" their amp to go from 250 wpc to 400 wpc or whatever higher output, etc., etc., etc.

Really is a non-issue............in most cases bridging combines the (2) halves of a stereo amp and there is usually a degredation of sound plus the amp now see's a lower impedance which means they struggle to run anything below 8 ohms.

I don't recommend bridging except in some rare cases of amps; ie; Monarchy SM70's. When you bridge those they become a single ended balanced circuit and are designed to be run that way. Or in the case of bridging a single amp to run a sub which is 8 ohms or greater.

Hope this hepls

H9
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I've found having a lot of headroom (way more than the speaker can handle) makes a HUGE difference on sudden, short transients (snare drum pop, piano strikes,, etc.), regardless of volume level.
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options
    TNRabbit wrote: »
    I've found having a lot of headroom (way more than the speaker can handle) makes a HUGE difference on sudden, short transients (snare drum pop, piano strikes,, etc.), regardless of volume level.

This is true..............but watts does not equal headroom. Again to reiterate my 30 wpc Aleph amp has proven to be much more dynamic than my old 125 wpc Adcom. It's not even close. I have been startled by familiar music in a few instances running the Aleph at about the same level as the Adcom.

The Aleph is capable of more current and has larger capacitance which equals better reserves and less PS sag..................that equals more dynamic headroom and still better reserves than the Adcom or Marsh that I have. This is with only 25v power supply rails.

Certainly this isn't true for every lower wattage amp, bu it does demonstrate there is more than just wattage to satisfy all the head room you need.

H9

P.s. if maximum SPL is your goal then you need some more wattage to ultimately achieve a very high SPL, which has nothing to do with the quality of the output.
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options
    To the OP, if you decide to go against the norm and bridge your amps be aware not all SDA's can use the AI-1 cable. Only the later generation SDA's are capable. What model SDA's do you have? if they can't run the AI-1 cable.................this becomes a moot point.

H9
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2009
    Options
    After a tube swap, the Manley Stingray I have here has wooped amps with 15 times as many watts. When I get a active pre, I'd like to put to my Pass F5 up against it, it doesn't have enough gain to keep up with a passive pre.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • thsmith
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Pass Labs Aleph 30 is what I'm running. I have no doubt the Carver is a nice capable amp that many here own and are happy with. I was simply commenting (in general) with people wanting to "bridge" their amp to go from 250 wpc to 400 wpc or whatever higher output, etc., etc., etc.

Really is a non-issue............in most cases bridging combines the (2) halves of a stereo amp and there is usually a degredation of sound plus the amp now see's a lower impedance which means they struggle to run anything below 8 ohms.

I don't recommend bridging except in some rare cases of amps; ie; Monarchy SM70's. When you bridge those they become a single ended balanced circuit and are designed to be run that way. Or in the case of bridging a single amp to run a sub which is 8 ohms or greater.

Hope this hepls

H9

Thanks H9, Pretty interesting reading the manual for your Pass Labs Aleph 30.

Looks like a hard AMP to get your hands on. Someday, maybe someday.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Is this a stupid question! I get the impression from listening that some tube amps of lower power, (watts) like what Heiney9 is descibing above seem to play as loud or louder--or rather seem more dynamic than some SS amps with two or even three times the wattage.

Am I imagining things or is there some reason this might actually be the case. Sorry I can't provide specific model numbers here because I'm speaking generally?

Is this just an illusion? Subjective?

Thanks,
    cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options
    That's very true....not imagined. Most tube amps (lower power) have very simple gain paths 2 or 3 stages only and superb linearity. Same with many singled ended class A topoligies (like many of the Pass Labs offereings; including the Aleph w/ only 2 gain stages).

A simple path from input to output with premium parts seems to do a great job and achieves excellent linerarity (which is extremely important) vs. a mediocre push/pull A/B topology which can have anywhere from 5-7 or more gain stages and a large amount of negative feedback to control linearity which adds 3rd order harmonic distortion which can be very unpleaseant.

H9
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited February 2009
    Options
    There are a few things to take into account. The loudness and dynamics has to do with the speakers and the amp, not just the amp. The more sensitive the speakers, the louder they will play with a set amount of power and the more dynamic they can be. Plus, like Face was saying, it depends on the headroom of the amp as well as the current capacity.

Another is synergy, and the fact that some equipment just sounds good together. Synergy can actually defy some conventional audio wisdom. For example, loud speakers are low impedance devices that like to be fed high current, ie the LSi9. SS amps are high current devices where as tube amps are voltage devices, but many people could agree that both could sound good if they were demoed the right equipment. It all proves that numbers can be a good place to start, but number aren't everything.
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options
    All correct Zingo.............my comments are based on the difference's I've heard in my system with my SDA 1C's w/my new amp compared to a few other 3-4 times the wattage amps. There are no hard and fast rules and everything you stated applies.

Like I stated earlier if I moved into a much larger room and expected higher SPL, then I would need more watts to fill upthe space at whatever higher SPL I wanted to listen at.

I posted this yesterday in another thread......sort of applies here as well, but it's still a general statement about "output" and not quality.

We've all used the term "decibel" hundreds of times, but what does it REALLY mean? A decibel (named for Alexander Graham Bell) is a tenth of a bel, and is used as an expression of power. Here's where the confusion arises: A decibel isn't a measure of ANYTHING; it is a ratio of two power levels. Because of the way our ears perceive volume, these ratios follow a logarithmic curve, expressing them as a decibel keeps things easier to deal with. Here are a few convenient decibel figures worth remembering: One decibel is commonly taken as the smallest volume change the human ear can reasonably detect. Doubling the POWER of an amplifier results in a 3 dB increase, which is a "noticeable" volume increase. Doubling the VOLUME of a sound is a 6 dB increase (you may occasionally see 10 dB listed as the "double-volume" figure, 6 dB is the more mathematically correct number). By doing the math, you can see that truly doubling your volume actually requires 4 times the amplifier power! Keep these figures in mind the next time you are comparing the specs of two pieces of equipment...
  • Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited February 2009
    Options
    In a strictly TFM 35 to 45 comparison running 1Cs, the 45 is the much more dynamic amp. The 35 is good, but the 45 is excellent. Seldom do I need more than 50 watts to drive them to very loud levels, so it's not just a question of headroom. I've read about some that have bridged them and run CAs without a problem (or they didn't hear a problem), but I'd be leery.

The most in your face amp I've had running these SDAs was a Marantz integrated that can run forced into Class A (25wpc). It could drive you out of the room. It was also pre tweeter upgrade and it made the SL2000s unlistenable. My friend loved the combo, but it was just a tad too much for me.

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The only experience that I've ever had with bridging was with a pair of Adcom 555's,, tried it once and never again, with a pair of 11T's. I was driving my 1C's with a 40 watt tube amp,, and it was plenty.Good luck.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2009
    Options
    thanks guys for the input... I will not be doing the bridged setup any longer, but still seek input on the best amps I can get to run a blended 2channel/7.1 setup as this is all the room I have at the moment. I would like to run my mains(sda-1c's) on a separated amp from the remaining 5 channels, so this means I need a 5channel amp for now with looking toward upgrading my TFM-35 at a later point... What amps should I be looking for in this case...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • thsmith
    edited February 2009
    Options
    IMO TFM-45 or 55
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2009
    Options

Certainly this isn't true for every lower wattage amp, bu it does demonstrate there is more than just wattage to satisfy all the head room you need.
    Reading between the lines me thinks you are trying to say that a few good watts are better than a multitude of bad ones.;)
    I agree.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • 2-tall
    2-tall Posts: 98
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I have two tfm 24's going to my 3.1tl's.You can horizontally or vertically bi amp them but if your speakers go below 8 ohms you can not switch the carvers to mono and bridge them.This came straight from Rita a couple of years ago.
  • mhw58
    mhw58 Posts: 359
    edited February 2009
    Options
    gdb wrote: »
    I am by NO MEANS an authority on the subject but, it's pretty much agreed that bridging messes up the bass and gives loosey goosey damping. The other matter (at least with Carvers) is that anything less than 8ohms for load, is really asking for trouble with the amp in bridged mode. Lots of threads/posts on this over at CarverAudio.com- Just tried a search over there and the search feature is down right now, if you post your question I'm sure OBI56 will give you a detailed answer.:)

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/index.php

Aren't the Polk SDA 1C's considered 6 ohms. I just bought an Onkyo 876 receiver that has bridging capability but it says the speakers must be 8 ohms or higher. It sounds like SDA 1C's are not a speaker I would want to bridge, correct?
    Thanks, Mike
    Fronts: SDA1C's
    Rears: SDA2's
    Center:CS400i
    Sub: PSW505
  • heiney9
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Correct
  • davidfmartin
    davidfmartin Posts: 106
    edited February 2009
    Options

I'm running my 1c's from a 3785 gainclone I built myself. I don't have the equipment to benchmark the wpc but with a 400va transformer my guess would be around 40-50wpc based on the specs. Anyway it sounds great to me since I made it. Point is, if it sounds good to you, it is good.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited February 2009
    Options
    TUBES and 1C's go together like Peas and Carrots;)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2009
    Options
    not a very good analogy as I hate peas..........:p

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I don't have the equipment to benchmark the wpc but with a 400va transformer my guess would be around 40-50wpc based on the specs.
    Depending on rail voltages,with +-36 volts I measured about 40 watts before severe clipping on the unit I built. http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71781&highlight=GAINCLONE+MAKEOVER
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing