first time caller

gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited June 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello forum users.

This is my first post in the Club forums. I just picked up my first pair of Polk Audio speaker, a sweet set of R30's, last night. They were in lay-away for 2 months. Last night was fun after waiting 2 months to finally hook them up.

One quick question. What would an appropriate "break-in" period be? I've never owned high quality loudspeakers before. I resisted the urge to turn the volume up very far last night when I first got them hooked up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Search on break in and burn in, you'll find lengthy discussions on the topic.

'Normal' break in, for the 'believers' is usually 20-40 hrs. However, you should be able to run your speakers as you please right out of the box, without incurring damage. Break-in for home audio is most often related to the tonal signature changing over time, vs the actual parts needing to be treated with kid gloves at first.

Regardless of which side of the fence you sit on 'break in', the good news is, they will get there REGARDLESS if you actually use them.

Cheers,
    Russ

Oh, and welcome aboard.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited June 2003
    Welcom gmorris...Yeah, just like Russman suggested. There's no harm in turning them up loud when new. I pumped up my PSW650 to reference level the day I got it and haven't had a problem with it(almost 5 years). Most speaker damages are done by the amplifier. What are you powering them with?

Maurice
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited June 2003
    Congrates on the new speakers. I have found with the Polks that the longer they play the more open they sound and better sounding. Like Wine Polk gets better with age.
  • fgr41
    fgr41 Posts: 432
    edited June 2003
    Welcome to the club, I'm sure you will enjoy your stay.

Now make my ears bleed!
    Front
    Polk RT800i (BI-wired)
    Rear
    Polk RT600i
    Center
    Polk CS400i (BI-wired)
    Sub
    SVS 25-31PCi (22Hz tuning port)... it's SubHuman
    Receiver
    YAMAHA RX-V1400
    TV
    Mitsubishi WT-46807 HDTV
    HD receiver
    T i V o HR10-250
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited June 2003
    Thanks to everybody for responding.

Maurice,
    As I am just starting to build my system, the R30's were my first purchase. To power my current system, I'm using an old Pioneer VSX-455 Dolby Pro-Logic receiver that I bought way back in 1996. I don't know what the power rating of this receiver is. The manual doesn't list any specs, nor does the receiver have anything printed on it. I sent an email to the Pioneer customer service requesting info, we'll see how that pans out. I'm going to guess the Pioneer is not very powerful. My next purchase will be the new Onkyo TSX-601, should be a great upgrade.
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.