Tech- type question about RTi x-overs

jcaut
jcaut Posts: 1,849
edited July 2001 in Technical/Setup
Could somebody tell me if the RT800i's and the RT55i's share crossover points? Specifically, I'm wondering if both of the mid/woofers are crossed over at the same frequency. I notice on the 55i there are two low-pass crossover frequencies listed, but in the 800i manual, only one.

Anybody want to share their thoughts on whether the 800i's are worth the premium over the 600i's. I haven't actually been able to listen to either pair (see my shipping story elsewhere) except in Circut City's terrible listening room where everything they had sounded pretty awful. Thanks.
--Jason
Post edited by jcaut on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2001
    I would have to assume that the RT800i's and RT55i's do not share the same crossovers due to the cabinent size differences. Also, the mid/woofers do not share the same crossover point. Generically speaking, one is used for midrange and one is used for bass.

When I listend to the RT600's versus the RT800's, the RT800 sounded noticably better to me, especially in the bass department. Have a listen for yourself, and see what you think.

Aaron
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited July 2001
    Thanks, Aaron. I appreciate your opinion on the 600 vs. 800.

You may be right about the crossovers, but really I couldn't see any reason that the difference in cabinet size would require different crossover points, if the drivers were the same. It would account for the low bass extention difference.

The reason I was wondering, was that I thought it was a bad idea, to run two identical drivers crossed over at the same frequency and mounted close together on the baffle. At least I think that's what I've heard. I guess I should just judge the sound and let the Polk engineers handle the technical stuff! I'm the kind of guy that likes to know WHY one speaker sounds better than another.....:confused:...even if I may not be smart enough to understand it!
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    , but really I couldn't see any reason that the difference in cabinet size would require different crossover points, if the drivers were the same.

The size, shape, and design/construction of a speaker enclosure affects the way a paticular driver or set of drivers sound. Speaker manufactures have to tune the speakers for the best sound. This includes getting the right drivers and crossover point combinations for that paticular cabinet. So, not all drivers and combinations of, will neccesarily use the same crossover points in different enclosures.

And yes, Polk engineers are probably a bit better than you at figuring theses things out. :)