DIY Nitty Gritty Vac Sweep cleaning "lips"

Options
Fongolio
Fongolio Posts: 3,516
edited April 2010 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I have a Nitty Gritty 1.5 FI record cleaning machine. I clean at very least one record every day. I'm going through the vac-sweep replacement cleaning "lips" at least one a month. They are almost impossible to find in Canada and shipping costs as much as a package of four ($18.50 a package).

I decided to try making my own. I had no success with two sided tape and velvet cut to fit. I wasn't sticky enough. I've tried some peel and stick fabrics from a fabric shop with no success. Then yesterday in Walmart (yes Walmart), I spotted some peel and stick felt packages in the crafting section. Each package contains multi-color felt in about 10" x 8" squares with a peel and stick backing. For less than $4.00 is worth a try.

Today I cut the felt to the approximate size needed for the lips and after cleaning the machine peel the backing and stick it on. I found it was just a little bit thinner than the real NG vac-sweeps so I put another layer on top. Now it's a tiny bit thick but very cushiony. I then used a razor blade to cut the felt away from the center where the vacuuming action takes place and then used a safety pin to poke the holes for the fluid injection.

I then needed a good grungy record that I won't cry over if it's wrecked. I have three copies of the Doors Waiting For The Sun and one that has clearly been through a few acid parties. I did my usual cleaning routine. Two rounds each side with the cleaning solution vacuuming in between and two rinses. It came out spectacularly clean and the glue backing held perfectly.

Eureka!!$4.00 and a little work for years and years worth of vac-sweeps. Will work with any Nitty Gritty machine.

Kelvin
SDA-1C (full mods)
Carver TFM-55
NAD 1130 Pre-amp
Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
The Clamp
Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
Ben's IC's
Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
Post edited by Fongolio on

Comments

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Congrats, you my want to Drumel sand the edges felt pads so no abrasive edges are touching the record. Good find.
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Great find Kelvin. When I owned a Nitty Gritty machine, I used to buy the velvet pads by the gross. Are they not selling it that way anymore?
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Great find Kelvin. When I owned a Nitty Gritty machine, I used to buy the velvet pads by the gross. Are they not selling it that way anymore?

I haven't seen any, where did you get them from?
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Fongolio wrote: »
    I haven't seen any, where did you get them from?

Back in the '80s from the Tweak Shop!

http://www.tweakshop.com/index.html
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the share Kelvin!
    When I owned a Nitty Gritty machine...

You know, I bought that machine from you, rebuilt it (busted by bad handling in shipping), and to this day it still sucks!!:p:D

I scrub on an old turntable and vacuum with the NG.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    You're welcome to come by here anytime to clean all the records you want, Rich. ;)

Even the wife would clean records to go out there!:cool:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2010
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Thanks for the share Kelvin!

You know, I bought that machine from you, rebuilt it (busted by bad handling in shipping), and to this day it still sucks!!:p:D

I scrub on an old turntable and vacuum with the NG.

:eek::eek::eek:I know how you spent all that time fixing it. Is it still performing well Rich? The fact that scrubbing on the NG is difficult is why I went with the VPI.
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Keiko wrote: »
    I really enjoy using the HW-17.

Ah shed ep!:eek:
  • SCompRacer
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Is it still performing well Rich?

Yes, the vacuum still works very well. If I haven't used it for a couple of months, the fluid dispenser motor binds up. I would just give the impeller a nudge with a long chopstick to get it going again. Not a big deal as I don't use store bought stuff anymore. Just using the Tergitol mix with distilled rinse.

With dear wife unemployed taking care of her mom, money is too tight to buy even a used 16.5. I just buy records, clean and play them.:cool:
  • hearingimpared
    edited April 2010
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Yes, the vacuum still works very well. If I haven't used it for a couple of months, the fluid dispenser motor binds up. I would just give the impeller a nudge with a long chopstick to get it going again. Not a big deal as I don't use store bought stuff anymore. Just using the Tergitol mix with distilled rinse.

With dear wife unemployed taking care of her mom, money is too tight to buy even a used 16.5. I just buy records, clean and play them.:cool:

Well no-one can say Nitty Grittys are not built to last. That baby has to be 26 years old now.