4 hour oil change. I hate Ford

Options
MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited April 2010 in The Clubhouse
Well 3000 miles finally ticked off so I was going to change the oil in my 2010 Edge. Picked up some 5w20 Motorcraft and Motorcraft filter and got to it. Dumped the oil and unscrewed the filter and tried to put the new one on. Wouldnt fit. Got online and double checked. Yeah, FL400S. Thats the right one. But after some digging I learn that Ford, in all their wisdom, decided to change the filter thread size in the middle of the year. If your Edge was built after January, it uses a different size. Great.

So I wait til the wife gets home, jump in her car and head out to Advance Auto Parts. None in stock. On to Autozone. None in stock. This goes on for a while.

So I get home at 10 PM after hitting every auto parts store in town including 2 Walmarts with no filter and so my car sits in the garage with no oil. There is an Oreilly's about 20 miles down the road that has a Wix thatll fit so Ill be there bright and early in the morning.

This is the stupidest bunch of **** Ive ever seen. Just another in a long line of disappointments in my new Ford purchase. I shoulda stuck with Honda. I got half a mind to return the Motorcraft oil and buy some Penzoil instead just cause I hate the idea of supporting Ford any more.

OK, I feel better now.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The new design may be easier to get from F.O.R.D. next time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,027
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sorry you are having probs man -

I can tell you my truck closing in at 143,000 has been solid as a rock except for some electronic window issues....
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i used to love working on my vehicles and detailing them. i can't stand to do either anymore. damn age thing. getting old.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I love the oil filter placement on my 4Runner, the filter is right there on top. I use synthetic and get my oil changed every 10,000 miles, but I like to change my filter every 5,000. Having the filter on top is great because I can change it easily between oil changes.

I'm curious, what other problems are you having with your Edge, my brother was looking at those
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Changing the oil filter thread size halfway through the model year is one of the more retarded things I've ever heard. Can't blame you for being pissed.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • AudioGenics
    AudioGenics Posts: 2,567
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Engineering at its finest.

Make Complicated when simple to increase profits at the expense
    of the customer.

Short term business thinking
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    edited April 2010
    Options
    What's worse? Having a f150 v8 and finding the most common damn
    filter size out there out of stock everywhere close by every weekend.
    I have learned to buy a couple at a time, and when the new stock comes
    in to most stores. Planning ahead pays off in all things automotive.
    Warning for all DIY guys, you can't change your ATF fluid and filter by
    yourself any more on many cars.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I quite changing my oil years ago, I just have the dealerships do it where we bought our cars at. It costs us $25 and they give it a thorough once over...

It just isn't worth the hassle of doing it yourself anymore...yeah I know its enjoyable, get your hands dirty and all that:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lorthos wrote: »
    I quite changing my oil years ago, I just have the dealerships do it where we bought our cars at. It costs us $25 and they give it a thorough once over...

It just isn't worth the hassle of doing it yourself anymore...yeah I know its enjoyable, get your hands dirty and all that:)

+1 to this, and if some moron leaves the tip of an oil gun in the engine on start-up.... it's on THEM!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The new design may be easier to get from F.O.R.D. next time.

Yeah, but its a pain to go there so Ill be buying Wix filters from Oreilly's until Ford starts selling the proper Motorcraft in stores. Motorcraft is actually excellent quality stuff and I would rather be using it but until they get them in Walmart ($3 instead of $11 at the dealer) Ill stick with the Wix. Im sure theyll have them out in stores within a few months. They sell all the other Motorcraft sizes in every auto parts stores now anyway.
    The oil companies love people like you.

Youre right. Ive read thousands upon thousands of things out there saying 3,000 mile oil change intervals are overkill and I believe it but Ive had 3,000 mile OCI's drilled into my head since 1980 so it gives me a lot of peace of mind doing them that way. Besides, a 5 qt jug of Motorcraft 5w20 is only $11 so I dont mind spending $14 every 3 months to make myself feel like Im taking better care of my car. ;)
    I'm curious, what other problems are you having with your Edge, my brother was looking at those

- Front brake rotor warped within the 1st 1,000 miles for no good reason. Granted its pretty slight but I dont think it shouldve done it this soon.

- When accelerating from a stop or slow coast, you hear a "clunk" from up front somewhere. At first I thought it was a motor mount but just this morning it did it while I was coasting into a parking lot which makes me think something in the front suspension.

- Noticeable vibration thru the gas pedal at ONLY 1600-1700 RPM's. Nowhere else. Weird.

- AC is puny. It blows out around 48 degrees which is plenty cold but I suppose the design of the vents or something isnt right because it just doesnt work that well. It does work, just not as well as I think it should.

These are all minor problems I know but for a $30,000 car, I think it should be a little better built than this. My $18,000 Accord was as solid as a rock.

That being said, I DO recommend at least checking an Edge out. They are very comfortable, ride great and are a joy to take on a long trip. I do love mine I just wish the fit and finish was a lot better. So definitely check one out just make sure to go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure the fit and finish is up to snuff.

It just isn't worth the hassle of doing it yourself anymore...yeah I know its enjoyable, get your hands dirty and all that

I totally understand. I do enjoy doing it myself (makes me feel all manly and stuff) but I do get tired of spending 30 minutes trying to scrub oil off my hands. My Honda dealership had a separate building just for oil changes and got you in and out in 20 minutes for $30 so I got mine changed there with my Accord. My Ford dealership isnt quite as convenient though. I do get free oil changes every 7,500 miles so I plan on doing them every 3,000 miles myself because Im OCD about it, and then at 9000, 15000 and so on, Ill let the dealer do them for free and give it the once over.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Gee Ford still doing stuff like that...

My brother inlaw at the time, and I was working on his 69 Mustang power steering pump once. Do you know there was something different about his car that most didn't have, that pump was different, the mounting was changed. We must of look at 100 junk Fords looking for a pump like his that day. So it's funny Ford is still doing stuff like that...

But on the other hand a Wix filter is better, so in the end it's good.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Sorry about your luck, but I'd blame you for not doing the research. You bought a new car and had a surprise.

Guys on motorcycle forums usually put some lame-@ss picture saying 'cool post, dude'.
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ford stock is doing well. Donald Trump told me that it is a risky investment two years ago. It is doing well enough right now that it may pay for one of my children's college education, hopefully at Clemson University but thats up to him.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ViperZ wrote: »
    Sorry about your luck, but I'd blame you for not doing the research.....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Somehow I doubt any online research or asking the salesman if they changed the thread pattern on the oil filter would have yielded any answers other than "How the hell am I supposed to know".;)

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ViperZ wrote: »
    Sorry about your luck, but I'd blame you for not doing the research. You bought a new car and had a surprise.

Guys on motorcycle forums usually put some lame-@ss picture saying 'cool post, dude'.

Seriously? So every time you buy a part for your vehicle, much less something as common as a oil filter, you check and see if the part is the same across the entire production year? Yeah...right...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited April 2010
    Options

Somehow I doubt any online research or asking the salesman if they changed the thread pattern on the oil filter would have yielded any answers other than "How the hell am I supposed to know".;)
    Agreed
  • disneyjoe7
    edited April 2010
    Options

Agreed also, if I remember correctly the power steering pump was built in Canada most other Fords we found was built in USA. That was the problem, why wouldn't an auto store know this fact by the VIN? What are we the first one too know.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I personally love what Ford has done to its lineup. It can't think of another brand I would buy right now. Plus, they didn't accept a penny from the government and are turning around their image all by themselves... image that :)

I just don't like the way the Edge looks... but that's me. Not really into crossovers. Car's or Truck... no "Crucks" please :D
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Even Jiffy Lube is slow.

When I was lazy, I took my car a couple of times to Jiffy Lube for their supposed 15-minute oil & lube change offers.

I'd get the tech 'tuff sale' for changing out my transmission fluid, etc and then I'd watch the 'shop cam' as the techs would stand around futzin' so my 15 minute lube would end up being more like 1 hr.

Never again...

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2010
    Options
    An HOUR? I've never spent more than 15 minutes at one of those Jiffy Lube places. The Valvoline place near me is very efficient and while pushing all of the other maintenance stuff is annoying they don't ever argue when I say "no."

I do all my own care work, within reason, but oil changes... it's both cheaper and much quicker to have it done somewhere else.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • wz2p7j
    wz2p7j Posts: 840
    edited April 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Well 3000 miles finally ticked off so I was going to change the oil in my 2010 Edge. Picked up some 5w20 Motorcraft and Motorcraft filter and got to it. Dumped the oil and unscrewed the filter and tried to put the new one on. Wouldnt fit. Got online and double checked. Yeah, FL400S. Thats the right one. But after some digging I learn that Ford, in all their wisdom, decided to change the filter thread size in the middle of the year. If your Edge was built after January, it uses a different size. Great.

So I wait til the wife gets home, jump in her car and head out to Advance Auto Parts. None in stock. On to Autozone. None in stock. This goes on for a while.

So I get home at 10 PM after hitting every auto parts store in town including 2 Walmarts with no filter and so my car sits in the garage with no oil. There is an Oreilly's about 20 miles down the road that has a Wix thatll fit so Ill be there bright and early in the morning.

This is the stupidest bunch of **** Ive ever seen. Just another in a long line of disappointments in my new Ford purchase. I shoulda stuck with Honda. I got half a mind to return the Motorcraft oil and buy some Penzoil instead just cause I hate the idea of supporting Ford any more.

OK, I feel better now.

Four hours to do an oil change?? :confused::confused:

Suggest you stick with your day job!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chris
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2010
    Options
    you retarded chris, or was that some lame attempt at being sarcastic?

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • wz2p7j
    edited April 2010
    Options
    BIZILL wrote: »
    you retarded chris, or was that some lame attempt at being sarcastic?

Bizbill - ME retarded, I don't think so. The FL400S filter was never used in a 2010 Ford Edge application. The FL500 series was introduced in the late 2009 model run and carried over with the 2010 models. Ford makes this very clear in their on line parts catalogue:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2009&m=Ford&mo=Edge#&&/wEXAQUHaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr

I understand the author's frustration with the project but don't get the "it's all Ford's fault" tone when it seems his own lack of research resulted in the problem.

Chris
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2010
    Options
    wz2p7j wrote: »
    Bizbill - ME retarded, I don't think so. The FL400S filter was never used in a 2010 Ford Edge application. The FL500 series was introduced in the late 2009 model run and carried over with the 2010 models. Ford makes this very clear in their on line parts catalogue:

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2009&m=Ford&mo=Edge#&&/wEXAQUHaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr

I understand the author's frustration with the project but don't get the "it's all Ford's fault" tone when it seems his own lack of research resulted in the problem.

Chris

Excuse the hell out of me for not doing 4 hours research on something as simple and routine as an oil filter. Everytime I buy a new car, they never have that year model in any of the catalogs when I go look for a filter. So I just look at the previous years and if they have the same engine, itll take the same filter. Hasnt failed me in 20 years. So I figured when the 2007, 2008 and 2009 models with the EXACT SAME ENGINE used a certain filter that the 2010 model with the EXACT SAME ENGINE would use the same filter. Seems like a logical conclusion.

But that wasnt even the hang up. I couldve easily gone down to my local part store 1/4 down the road and got the right one but thats just it - nobody had them! That was the problem, having to drive all over town trying to find a filter that would fit because Ford only sells them at the dealership (at 3x the price). THATS what took so long and thats what pissed me off.

So yeah its Ford's fault. Not only for changing out a filter in the middle of a model year for no good reason, but especially by NOT selling that filter in any stores. So if youre going to pull a fast one on your customers, at least give them a fighting chance and let Walmart and other autoparts stores stock the new filter right next to the other 1,000 Motorcraft filters.

And also, who the hell goes to the Ford online parts catalog for a freaking oil filter? :rolleyes:

• wz2p7j
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Excuse the hell out of me for not doing 4 hours research on something as simple and routine as an oil filter. Everytime I buy a new car, they never have that year model in any of the catalogs when I go look for a filter. So I just look at the previous years and if they have the same engine, itll take the same filter. Hasnt failed me in 20 years. So I figured when the 2007, 2008 and 2009 models with the EXACT SAME ENGINE used a certain filter that the 2010 model with the EXACT SAME ENGINE would use the same filter. Seems like a logical conclusion.

But that wasnt even the hang up. I couldve easily gone down to my local part store 1/4 down the road and got the right one but thats just it - nobody had them! That was the problem, having to drive all over town trying to find a filter that would fit because Ford only sells them at the dealership (at 3x the price). THATS what took so long and thats what pissed me off.

So yeah its Ford's fault. Not only for changing out a filter in the middle of a model year for no good reason, but especially by NOT selling that filter in any stores. So if youre going to pull a fast one on your customers, at least give them a fighting chance and let Walmart and other autoparts stores stock the new filter right next to the other 1,000 Motorcraft filters.

And also, who the hell goes to the Ford online parts catalog for a freaking oil filter? :rolleyes:

OK -whatever :confused::confused:

First of all, the running change was made in model year 2009 and you own a 2010 vehicle.

Secondly, you just assumed the 09 part number would fit your 2010 vehicle.

Thirdly, there are other filters that are equivalent to the FL500 series that Autozone and Advance Auto Parts normally carry but apparently your local stores did not.

Laughably, this is somehow all Ford's fault. But somehow Honda is better.

Go to Ford.com and you will see links that would have taken you straight to the right info about your filter.

Go to Honda.com - no such thing, my friend. :cool::cool:

I know I'm beating you up, I'm sorry :D:D Shoot me a PM - I'll buy you a beer some time :D:D

Chris
  • nooshinjohn
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Are we discussin' Spearker Cables or oil filters here... I forgot!:D;):p

• wz2p7j
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Pretty funny

My bad - I'll clam up on this issue :D:D

But I really think the Motorcraft filter will provide maybe 5 more horsepower than, say, the Fram filter :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chris
  • ViperZ
    ViperZ Posts: 2,046
    edited April 2010
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Seriously? So every time you buy a part for your vehicle, much less something as common as a oil filter, you check and see if the part is the same across the entire production year? Yeah...right...
    -Cody

Cody, actually I do. My car (300m) was manufactured from 1999 to 2004, but was changed pretty drastically in 2002 (and my car is 2002). :D
    Panasonic PT-AE4000U projector for movies
    Carada 106" Precision Series (Classic Cinema White)
    Denon AVR-X3600H pre/pro
    Outlaw 770 7-channel amplifier
    B&W CDM1-SE fronts
    B&W CDM-CNT center
    B&W CDM1 rears on MoPADs
    JBL SP8CII in-ceiling height speakers
    Samsung DTB-H260F OTA HDTV tuner
    DUAL NHT SubTwo subwoofers
    Oppo BDP-93 Blu-Ray player
    Belkin PF60 Power Center
    Harmony 1100 RF remote with RF extender
    Sony XBR-X950G 55" 4K HDR Smart TV + PS3 in the living room
  • disneyjoe7
    edited April 2010
    Options
    This is an easy fix...

Stop using anything other then a Napa store. Don't buy dino oil from anyone, why because not using it your engine lives longer. Autozone type of stores don't sell anything but dino oil.

What do I buy at Autozone maybe car wash stuff that's it. I hate everything they sell oil, filters, starters, alternators, heck anything behind the counter.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited April 2010
    Options

I shoulda stuck with Honda.

OK, I feel better now.

Best part of that entire post. I will never go to ford.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000