R40 Tower speakers

Options
jemrey81
jemrey81 Posts: 161
edited April 2010 in Speakers
Are the R40's a good option for a small starter home theater L&R speakers? I found a pair for $40, good condition. My dad is using a pioneer home theater in the box set up with tiny speakers and I thought these would be a good upgrade for him. I read a lot of reviews (old) and they seem like they are decent.

thanks
Post edited by jemrey81 on

Comments

• greg2350
    greg2350 Posts: 544
    edited April 2010
    Options
    good speakers good price get them. :)
    TV: Philips 42" LCD 1080p
    Front Speakers: Polk Audio RT800i
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS1
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio R50's powered of Denon AVR
    Subwoofer: Polk Audio DSW pro500
    AVR: Denon 3801
    DVD Player: Denon DVM 745 upscale 1080p
    Sat: Directtv HD 10
    Front Speakers Amp: Rotel RB 890
    Center Speaker amp: Rotel 970 BX
  • jemrey81
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I set it up.... will be leaving in 15 minutes. Thanks!
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    edited April 2010
    Options
    just be careful if you're going to hook those speakers up to the pio reciever, since its an HTiB receiver it may or may not work ok with outside speakers.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • jemrey81
    edited April 2010
    Options
    There won't be other speakers involved... no surround or anything, this is just replacing the two small ones that came with it
  • jemrey81
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I just got them home... they are so much smaller than I thought they would be. They sound great though, I am sure my parents will like them. You just can't go wrong when you buy a pair of Polk speakers for $40. :)
  • jemrey81
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So I have had these hooked up since I got them yesterday (after a good cleaning), and they really sound good for the size of them.... my wife and I were trying to find a spot that we could put them and keep them for ourselves! No such luck though, I have to stick with book shelf speakers. I will be bringing the R40's over to my parents house today, hopefully they sound as good on their receiver as they do on mine.

So I have realized that my T15's (these are my mains right now) are lacking in all areas after listening to these R40's. Any suggestions on a good full sounding bookshelf speaker that I should kep an eye out for? I am really limited on size though..... the T15's are cutting it pretty close to being too big. I know that really limits the options.
  • jemrey81
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Just got home from setting up the R40's at my parents house... they aren't too bad off of their pioneer receiver. I just ordered the CS1 from Newegg to go along with the R40's, I hope they will be a good enough match........ I couldn't pass up the $69 shipped price. I think it will be a good start for their audio, and only $115. They will need to get some funds together to replace the sub and the receiver, but this is a huge step in the right direction. :)
  • Gladiator67
    Options
    Im lookink to find a speaker n a twitter from Polk R40 tower speakers. Mine are broken. Someone can help me to find those rechange speakers? Im from quebec..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Send an email to Walter.Moser@soundunited.com for Polk parts in Canada.
  • Gladiator67
    Options
    Thank you i ll try and give you feedback
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're welcome..