Sailing Around the World

Options
mark090852
mark090852 Posts: 996
edited June 2010 in The Clubhouse
Not sure if many of you have been following this but I've been fascinated by it. A 16 year old Australian girl is attempting to become the youngest person to sail nonstop, unassisted, around the world. She's completed about 4/5 of her journey. One time her boat, "The Pink Lady", was completely turned upside down and yet, onward she still sails. She's going to do it! Amazing!

Read her blogs for details.

Click here for Jessica Watson adventure
McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
Post edited by mark090852 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Quite amazing!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Pretty cool. Maybe she can direct plane traffic at JFK for her next feat. :D
  • MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2010
    Options
    That is awesome! Quite impressive!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• mark090852
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Here's her blog entry where she explains why she is doing it.

Jessica Watson Explains
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • mark090852
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Getting close...just a few more days! WTG Jessica!!!
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Dang, that's quite amazing!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • DeusExa
    DeusExa Posts: 491
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'm following her on FB. She's only a little younger than me. =0
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2010
    Options
    DeusExa wrote: »
    I'm following her on FB. She's only a little younger than me. =0

Then you should go next.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • DeusExa
    DeusExa Posts: 491
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Then you should go next.

Sailing's one of the top things on my to-do list, but, unfortunately, never had an opportunity to pursue it further. Maybe when I grow up..
  • mark090852
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Jessica's blog 5/1/10

She's rounded the southern tip of Tasmania and is on the final northern leg back to Sydney!
  • mark090852
    edited May 2010
    Options
    WOW! She did it! Watch the video in this link. An amazing young lady!

CNN Report on Jessica Watson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited May 2010
    Options
    That's is one brave, courageous 16 year old, congrats to her!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,041
    edited May 2010
    Options
    She is amazing.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,267
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Not only is this young lady courageous, don't forget her mom: it would take some courage, too, to see your 16 year-old daughter sail off alone for a trip around the world.

Got a chuckle from the voice-over person on the video at the beginning: "despite being several hours late" .... I guess next time she can try harder to be more punctual. :)

Most impressive !
    Sal Palooza
  • xj4094dg
    xj4094dg Posts: 1,158
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Did she have marine-certified PolkAudio speakers on board? ;) I hope so....
    What an adventure for any age!
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." Neil deGrasse Tyson.
  • mark090852
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I had to laugh near the end of the video when she had to disagree with the Australian PM who called her a "hero". What a level of maturity displayed by such a young lady!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2010
    Options
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    edited June 2010
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »

This is a different girl... Tragic nonetheless. I hope they find her soon.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited June 2010
    Options
    This is a different girl... Tragic nonetheless. I hope they find her soon.

youre right...didnt figure there'd be two 16 year old girls trying to sail around the world to break a record in a 3 month period...haha.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Damn shame! I feel sorry for her and her family. But, it makes you wonder why the parents of a 16 year old would allow her to engage in such a high risk adventure. It doesn't earn any college credits. She may have been able to write a book and earn money. But, I just can't see me allowing my 16 year old daughter to do this.

I hope they can find her, but it looks bleak. Pray for her and her family.
    Carl

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited June 2010
    Options
    They found her...with a broken mast...but still afloat...alive and well.
    CANBERRA, Australia – A 16-year-old California girl who was feared lost at sea while sailing solo around the world has been found alive and well, adrift in the southern Indian Ocean as rescue boats head toward her damaged yacht, officials said.

After a tense 20 hours of silence, a search plane launched from Australia's west coast made radio contact with Abby Sunderland on Friday in the frigid southern seas where her boat was repeatedly knocked down by huge waves and she lost satellite phone contact.

The boat's mast was broken — ruining satellite phone reception — and was dragging with the sail in the ocean, said search coordinator Mick Kinley, acting chief of the Australia Maritime Safety Authority that chartered a commerical jet for the search.

But the keel was intact, the yacht was not taking on water and Abby was equipped for the conditions, he said.

"The aircraft (crew) spoke to her. They told her help was on the way and she sounds like she's in good health," Kinley told reporters in Canberra.

"She's going to hang in there until a vessel can get to her," probably on Saturday, he said.

A lifelong sailor, Abby had begun her journey trying to be the youngest person to sail solo, nonstop around the world and continued her trip after mechanical failures dashed that dream.

Abby told searchers Friday that she was doing fine with a space heater and at least two weeks' worth of food, said family spokesman William Bennett.

Support team member Jeff Casher said the boat had gotten knocked on its side several times.

The French regional administration on the island of Reunion, off Madagascar, said it had sent three boats in her direction and they were expected to reach her Saturday.

Friday's communication with Abby was the first since satellite phone communications were lost early Thursday.

She had made several broken calls to her family in Thousand Oaks, California, and reported her yacht was being tossed by 30-foot (9-meter) waves — as tall as a 3-story building. An hour after her last call ended, her emergency beacons began signaling.

The observers aboard the search plane — a chartered Qantas Airbus A330 jet that left Perth early Friday — spoke with her by close-range VHF marine radio, western Australia state police spokesman Senior Sgt. Graham Clifford said.

He said the jet faced a 4,700-mile (7,600-kilometer) round trip from Perth to Sunderland's boat, which is near the limit of its range.

Qantas spokesman Tom Woodward said the airliner flew five hours out to sea to reach the area where the beacons were transmitting, then maneuvered for another hour before spotting the 40-foot (13-meter) yacht.

Abby's family and support team had said they were confident she was alive because the beacons were deliberately turned on rather than set off automatically.

"She's got all the skills she needs to take care of what she has to take care of, she has all the equipment as well," said brother Zac, himself a veteran of a solo sail around the world at age 17. He said Abby was prepared and mentally tough.

But renowned Australian round-the-world sailor Ian Kiernan said Abby should not have been in the southern Indian Ocean during the current southern hemisphere winter.

"Abby would be going through a very difficult time with mountainous seas and essentially hurricane-force winds," Kiernan told Sky News television.

Conditions can quickly become perilous for any sailor exposed to the elements in that part of the world.

Abby — whose father is a shipwright and has a yacht management company — set sail from Los Angeles County's Marina del Rey in her boat, Wild Eyes, on Jan. 23 in an attempt to become the youngest person to sail around the world alone without stopping. Her brother briefly held the record in 2009.

Abby soon ran into equipment problems and had to stop for repairs. She gave up the goal of setting the record in April, but continued on.

On May 15, Australian 16-year-old Jessica Watson claimed the record after completing a 23,000-mile (37,000-kilometer) circumnavigation in 210 days. Jessica and her family sent a private message of hope to Abby's family, spokesman Andrew Fraser said.

Abby left Cape Town, South Africa, on May 21 and on Monday reached the halfway point of her voyage.

On Wednesday, she wrote in her log that it had been a rough few days with huge seas that had her boat "rolling around like crazy."

Information on her website said that as of June 8, she had completed a 2,100-mile (3,400-kilometer) leg from South Africa to north of the Kerguelen Islands, taking a route to avoid an ice hazard area. Ahead of her lay more than 2,100 miles (3,400 kilometers) of ocean on a 10- to 16-day leg to a point south of Cape Leeuwin on the southwest tip of Australia.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ...a search plane launched from Australia's west coast made radio contact with Abby...

Thanks, Australia! :cool:
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited June 2010
    Options
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Damn shame! I feel sorry for her and her family. But, it makes you wonder why the parents of a 16 year old would allow her to engage in such a high risk adventure. It doesn't earn any college credits. She may have been able to write a book and earn money. But, I just can't see me allowing my 16 year old daughter to do this.

I hope they can find her, but it looks bleak. Pray for her and her family.

Uhm... because it teaches discipline? And tests your abilities both mentally and physically?

Kinda like how most 16 year olds nowadays are doing SAT/ACT Prep, Karate, and learning a musical instrument at the same time? It teaches discipline and is a challenge. I'd rather her do this than sit at home playing video games, IMO.
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!