SRT's IN THE HOUSE!!!! :D

Options

Comments

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Believe it or not the 3000's make excellent rears when using SRT's as fronts....

I'm sure that they would make great rear speakers. I have 4 X FX1000's nicely wall mounted with wires in-wall. I'm guessing that the benefit you're referring to with the RT3000's is that the subs add additional bass for the rear channels. I think at this point that since part of my negotiations with the wife on getting the SRT's was that selling the RT3000's would help fund the venture is what I should stick with. I just can't imagine that I'll feel a 'lack of bass' between the SRT subs and my SVS. :D

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I would save them for a future 7.1 setup:eek::cool:

Good thought but I'm already doing 7.1 with the 4 X FX1000's.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    edited February 2010
    Options
    send me a pair of the 1000's:D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Congrats on your purchase. Pm tomorrow when you get home.
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ESavinon wrote: »
    Congrats on your purchase. Pm tomorrow when you get home.

Ed, Will do.

• ESavinon
    edited February 2010
    Options
    If you want, I can fax it now....

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Here are some pictures of the control unit. It is in great shape. It came in the original box/packaging and included the manual with original warranty card and wire label stickers, remote AND the Radio Shack SPL meter w/case!

The unit itself is in great cosmetic shape. It appears be be missing some of the screw/wire clamps on the back. I think they came off when the seller disconnected the wires. :( I'm going to contact him to see if, by chance, he might find them laying around somewhere. If not, I hope Polk CS will have a few or I will just go find some matching screws somewhere. More to come later. It's driving me nuts not getting these set up fast as I'd like but I have to wait for some help mounting the satellites on the subs. I don't want to scratch the tops of the subs getting the spike feet in place correctly.

• JohnLocke88
    JohnLocke88 Posts: 1,150
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I've never seen the control center on one of these; looks complicated.
  • ESavinon
    edited February 2010
    Options
    you can use the terminal screws from the center speaker since it's not necessary to connect the center speaker to the controller. Rat shack sells terminal speaker strips that may use the same size screws.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I guess you won't need me to fax you the manual.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Congrats on the score! What did you pay for them?
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Congrats on the score! What did you pay for them?

Just under $3k for everything.

• dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Options
    you can use the terminal screws from the center speaker since it's not necessary to connect the center speaker to the controller. Rat shack sells terminal speaker strips that may use the same size screws.

Thanks Ed. I kind of figured that might be the case after reading the manual. I'm short 5 of them which means if I steal from the center channel terminals, I'll need 1 more. A trip to 'The Shack' is likely in order.

....and no need to fax the manual. I'm good in that dept. now. Thanks again for the kind offer.

• dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I've never seen the control center on one of these; looks complicated.

It's not really too bad. L/R outputs from amp to controller. From controller sub out to each sub, L/R stereo out to each satellite and L/R SDA out to each dimmensional array of each satellite. The controller handles the SDA effect (vs. the internal x-over in regular SDA models) as well as fine tuning capability for the subs.

Ed, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

It'll take me some time to get setup properly. All of my wiring is in-wall and I have to get another set of speaker cables to each tower's location and do it in a way that is aesthetically pleasing. I won't be hearing SRT SDA effect at least until this weekend.....

• leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited February 2010
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    Just under $3k for everything.

That's a great price.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I have goose bumps hearing the price you paid!
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I have goose bumps hearing the price you paid!

Hope those are good goosebumps. :) I'm pleased with the price, especially given the condition and all of the extra cables I didn't know were coming with it until I got up there. It seems so often that when they come up for sale that they've been abused or are missing important components.

• ESavinon
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Great price indeed!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Hope those are good goosebumps. :) I'm pleased with the price, especially given the condition and all of the extra cables I didn't know were coming with it until I got up there. It seems so often that when they come up for sale that they've been abused or are missing important components.

Did you get a chance to listen to it before you bought it, if so how did it sound?

How does your rt5000 system compare to the RTIa speakers.
  • ESavinon
    edited February 2010
    Options
    It's not really too bad. L/R outputs from amp to controller. From controller sub out to each sub, L/R stereo out to each satellite and L/R SDA out to each dimmensional array of each satellite. The controller handles the SDA effect (vs. the internal x-over in regular SDA models) as well as fine tuning capability for the subs.

Ed, please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

It'll take me some time to get setup properly. All of my wiring is in-wall and I have to get another set of speaker cables to each tower's location and do it in a way that is aesthetically pleasing. I won't be hearing SRT SDA effect at least until this weekend.....

Got it right. The subs can be connected using preamp outs or sub out. In mono or stereo mode.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Options
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    Did you get a chance to listen to it before you bought it, if so how did it sound?

I did but not the way I intended. I took my B&K Ref 10 pre and my Adcom GFA7500 up with me along with an iPod.....yes, an Ipod but my Denon is in the shop and I didn't want to take a junk player. I figured there wouldn't be much difference. Anyway, the iPod ended up having a dead battery when I went to test the speakers so I used my cousin's iPhone instead. It didn't have much in the way of music that I was familiar with so I made due with what I had. The towere were also 6 inches apart which doesn't help in a make-shift listening session. I ensured all the drivers worked and cranked them up to ensure I didn't hear any problems. What I did hear was enough to let me know that when they're truly opened up, they will deliver beyond what I can imagine at this point.

The seller had them professionally installed and connected to quality gear. He said his wife didn't like him to crank them up much so from his account, they've been babied. Cosmetically, their condition is nearly flawless.
    leroyjr1 wrote: »
    How does your rt5000 system compare to the RTIa speakers.

Not sure. I can tell you the major difference is that the RT3000's have powered subs whereas the RTIa line does not. The CS1000P center channel is a phenomenal speaker and the built-in sub adds depth that other center speakers I've heard can't touch. I've been extremely happy with the RT5000 and will be somewhat sad to see them go.

• dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Got it right. The subs can be connected using preamp outs or sub out. In mono or stereo mode.

That was going to be one of my questions. I've always preferred having the front tower subs connected to the pre-outs rather than the LFE out. Seems the bass is smoother coming from the front, especially for music listening and I let the SVS do the deep LFE work.

• ESavinon
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Exacto. I have mine connected to the preouts and the subs set to stereo mode. It's best for music.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • ESavinon
    edited February 2010
    Options
    You may not need the svs sub. It depends on the size of the room.
    The SRT subs can go as low as 16hz at 120 db/3m.

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Options
    19X18......

Lots of bass in my future.

I like the quote from the SRT manual re: 'Rattling Noises with Lots of Deep Bass'

'If your house is still standing, it is unlikely that you are actually overloading the SRT subwoofers. You are probably hearing other things in the room vibrating and rattling. Try turning off the amps or disconnecting the Left, Right, Center and Rears so that only the subs are playing. Pin-point what is rattling and bolt it down or pad it with felt or cork.' :D:D:D

• ESavinon
    edited February 2010
    Options
    you definitely wont need the svs in that size room.
    Are you keeping the boxes?

The SRT SEISMIC System:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I'm still waiting of the SRT pic's out of the box and set up. I would love to score a full SRT system. This is very cool.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,652
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Congrats. Super deal
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited February 2010
    Options
    If I knew freight wouldn't eat my lunch I would take a shot at your 3000s! You are on the wrong coast. Mine function, but they are not much to look at:cool: and my email program rejected your address:)
  • dpowell
    edited February 2010
    Options
    you definitely wont need the svs in that size room.

You're probably correct from a sheer bass output capability standpoint. I have a few issues I need to work out before I'll know for sure:

If I have the subs for the SRT speakers connected to the L/R stereo pre-outs, there is still signal that needs to be handled coming from the LFE out. This may be correctable by setting the AVR to "no sub" which, if I understand correctly, will then send all bass signal to the mains.

A bit bigger problem is my very restricted positioning capability for the SRT mains (see the link in my sig for pics). The right speaker can be placed correctly with adequate space to the right of the speaker (~3.5ft). However, the left speaker placement is the problem. Entertainment center dimensions and it's fixed location in the room dictate that it MUST be in a corner of the room with only 12 inches of room between it and the left wall. This means at higher volumes, I may have issues with boomy bass that I'll have to tame. If I have to tame that sub, I may need the SVS (which is not in a corner space) to compensate. If not, maybe it can handle rear channel bass. :)

Are you keeping the boxes?

Absolutely. The boxes stay with the speakers as long as they have life. I'll keep them in the attic.