The Adcom GDA 600 modification thread

1121314151618»

Comments

• keckkeck Posts: 20
    Thanks H9 and FTGV. And wow, i just seach the price for the Rubycon Black Gate price, and its actually cost ard $80 a pair.
    Yes H9, have received all the items for the signal section and power section modthat i ordered. ;)
    Will carry out the project whenever i have free time. :)
  • Hello-Is there only one internal fuse for the Adcom? If so is it a large or small and what is the value? TIA!
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,828
    bradster56 wrote: »
    Hello-Is there only one internal fuse for the Adcom? If so is it a large or small and what is the value? TIA!

Well looking at the pictures one page back seems 1 fuse. Open it up and look to see the value on yours.
  • agfrostagfrost Posts: 1,978
    If I'm reading this correctly, 3/8A (part F100 on schematic, on power supply board).

gdcmq4t7b9ty.jpg
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (Thanks Rich!) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Indeed the unit has one large version fuse that will soon be replaced by a Hi Fi Tuning "Gold" version purchased for $12.98 on Ebay...
    Report back if you discern any improvement!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Marantz DV-9500 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC
  • I shall indeed...
  • Just received the fuse...It's a no brainer upgrade for 12 bucks...Depending on your system a slight improvement or a major upgrade in sound quality...12 bucks! Do it now before these fuses are gone!
    For anyone who's still playing with this DAC, Partsconnexion has Dexa +15V and -15V regulators on special for $15 apiece...

I PM'd Fred (FTGV), the "driving force" and "technical honcho" (my terms not his) and he said these would work BUT are not the same pinout as the originals (or the Bursons people were buying on clearance in 2010). This means that some pin-bending or hookup wire will be needed to make the correct connections--this isn't a drop-in replacement as the Bursons were. For this mod, there are some resistors & capacitors to remove and in some cases, to jumper. Fred outlines which parts these are in his post HERE.

Any way, I bought the Dexas (make sure to order one each of +15V and -15V!) and will be getting around to this, eventually. Eventually may mean next summer, so don't hold your breath for an update!
    Jay