my rears

Options
Aaron
Aaron Posts: 1,853
edited July 2001 in The Clubhouse
This is the moment you've all been waiting for (or at least Russ and Troy): the revealing of my rear surround speakers. Before the startling revelation, however, there first comes a story. It goes a little something like this:

junior year of highschool....

I didn't have a stereo or even a CD player for that matter. I used my computer with it's satellite/subwoofer speakers and my CD-ROM as my stereo. So, I decided it was time to upgrade. I found that I could take my dad's old Sony 100W amp and use my soundcard on my computer as the preamp. Now all I needed was speakers. I was already kinda sold on the satellite/subwoofer setup, but I shopped around and listened to a few bookshelf speakers, but wasn't impressed with the bass. I liked the one pair of Polk bookshelfs (RT5's I think), but I thought they were too large to put on my desk as computer speakers. Size was an issue, especially since I was going to college soon. I also didn't like the idea of buying a pair of bookshelf speakers, and then buying a seperate subwoofer. It seemed like an artificial way to make a speaker system. (showing my inexperience here) I wanted a system that was made to go together. I listened to a pair of Boston Acoustic Micro-90 satellite/subwoofer speakers, but found them too dull and lifeless (though the subwoofer was very good), especially for the $800 price tag. I listened to a pair of Polk RM series, but was underwhelmed by the passive sub. I also listened to a pair of Infinity Minute speakers, and thought they sounded decent. Lastly I listened to a pair of Bose AM-5 cubes, and thought they sounded as good or better (and boy were they pretty comparitively) than any of the other satellite/subwoofer speakers, but were quite a lot of money at $600.

So, as it turns out, I found a guy selling a used pair of Bose AM-5's for $350, and I took him up on the offer. I thought they sounded pretty good until I demoed them next to my dad's RT12's. Then I knew there was no comparison, but then again I paid half the price. The more I listened to them, the more I noticed their flaws. You see, the demo CD I was using at the time actually sounds pretty decent on the Bose. It hides most of the flaws and makes them sound pretty good.

So, there you have it! It looks like Troy won the bet! Actually the Bose speakers have worked out pretty well for me in the college scene. Freshman year I had no room for anything larger. For my sophomore year I bought my RT800, CS400, and PSW150 and deligated my Bose as the rears (where I had no room for anything larger). They were also small enough that I could wall mount them. This year in the house I'm renting I couldn't have mounted anything larger on the wall without making the landlord wet himself. They sound pretty decent as surround speakers, too. Anyway, the best part is that when I do sell them, I'll probably get most of my money back thanks to all of the brainwashed people on eBay! :)

Aaron

P.S. I'm going in a cave for a week or two until this whole thing blows over.
Post edited by Aaron on

Comments

• BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2001
    Options
    At first I thought this was going to be about a personal problem....

Then I started reading and realised.................IT IS a personal problem!!!

You should have your keyboard washed out with soap!!!
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Remove the B-O-S and E keys from your keyboard and take them down to the local church and have an exorcism performed on them. Replace and never type those 4 letters in consecutive order agian.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Aaron, I'm not going to come down on you, your were honest, you have repented, and all is forgiven...

Hey, look on the bright side, you sell the Am-5 on eBay, you can probably make a profit over your initial investement!

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2001
    Options
    No worries Aaron, everyone has made mistakes. You learn and press on. No shame in that, hey, I have been there.

Just as long as you don't go buying more Bose.....

Hey I thought my Technics wasn't all bad until I saw the light.....

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Aaron
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hmm, it seems no one is throwing grenades or launching nuclear warheads in my direction....yet. That is a good thing. Perhaps some dignity can be salvaged from this after all. Then again, George might read this......oh the shame!

Aaron
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Hey I thought my Technics wasn't all bad until I saw the light.....
    [/B]

HAHA lights are funny. the dcm's from last year have a light that goes on inside the speakers for god only knows why. I didn't believe my x-fellow salesman when he told me. However, when we tipped it over, there was the light going anytime intense sound happened. I can only guess it served as some sort of capacitor.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    C'mon man, it wasn't that bad now was it? If however, AFTER, you get a job and make a few coins, the BOSE stay, then we release the hounds.

I would never dog someone about thier system, what ever it is, UNLESS they tried to extol it's virtues or berate mine.

OK, having said that, Russ owes me some quality brews that when we all get together I will gladly share.....

Troy
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I might read it...I might not.

A long time ago, I actually set foot in Yankee Stadium (indian territory for ANY Brooklyn Dodger fan), and watched the jack-booted, Waffen SS, scumbag New York Yankee's play a game. It's something I'm not proud of, but hey, it happened.
    PEOPLE DO MAKE MISTAKES.....but I don't know about this Bose **** Aaron.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    we all know that while Bose is definately vile. NOTHING on God's green earth personifies evil like the New York Yankees. George Steinbrenner is Satan.

Troy
  • Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    Options
    ALL sports are the personification of evil.

If...
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hmm...avid sport opinions. How 'bout them av's? REDWINGS SUCK!!
  • George Grand
    edited July 2001
    Options
    I may be a LITTLE more charitable than Falcon in my appraisal of PRESENT DAY sports figures/personnel. There are ABOUT 8 or 9 stand up human beings in all of pro sports these days. It's a good thing the rest (about 10,000) are getting paid millions to jack around. Otherwise they'd be robbing 7-11's and carjacking and stuff. Bittersweet ain't it?

It kills me to think that some poor slob can come here 30 yrs ago from lets say, Cuba. Becomes a U.S. citizen, works his tail off for a million hours at minimum wage, learns the friggin' Pledge of Allegiance and all, maybe even gets a high school diploma or some college along the way. What's all THAT guarantee him? Probably a better shot at the NEXT minimum wage job, or PERHAPS, IF HE OR SHE IS LUCKY, the minimum wage job OF THEIR CHOICE. They would've been better off in Cuba. At least they won't be getting shot at in the grocery store they work at BACK HOME!

In contrast to the guy with 3 eyes from Pluto, who only throws 105mph strikes (because of the 3rd eye, only strikes), and starts out life earning millions in his early twenties.

If everybody didn't have to have a jersey with some morons name on it, or the ABILITY to pay $5-6 for a small cup of beer, the cash wouldn't be there to support the crap.

• TroyD
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Let me quantify my remarks. When I speak of professional sports, I am talking about sports teams of my youth. Growing up in southern Maine, I lived for Boston sports teams. Now, I wouldn't go see any one of them if they were playing in my neighbors yard. Professional sports have sold thier souls for money. I will say it now, free agency ruined pro sports. I remember going to Fenway with my dad when we could sit in the out field bleachers, have hotdog and some peanuts and not have to take out a second mortgage on the house. Hell, every once in a while we would get box seats.
    My point is I guess that not everything changes for the better. Back then I could never make up my mind if I wanted to be like Yaz or Fred Lynn or Carlton Fisk or Dwight Evans, now, other than Cal Ripken I couldn't think of many I wouldn't disown my child for wanting to emulate.....
    Sorry for the ramble but I just think that it is a crying shame. Where are the role models today??

Troy
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited July 2001
    Options
    When I graduated college, I got married.
    One year after college, I bought the Bose AM-5 - thinking they sounded pretty decent (especially for their size). Two years after college, I bought a pair of Polk SRS-SDA 3.1TL's. Three years after college, my wife left me and stole the Bose system. I am sure the reason she left me the 3.1's was because of their pretty-large size. At the time, I was a bit angry about losing the Bose AM5's. Now, I realize that she did me a great favor. I have difficulty figuring out where she did me the greatest favor: a) by leaving or, b) by taking the Bose system with her. I am truly very thankful for both. Since then, I have added the CS400i, FX500's, RT25i's, and PSW650. Life is good. Please excuse the typing of the letters B, O, S, & E in sequential order.
  • Ron-P
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Well said George!
    a) by leaving or, b) by taking the Bose system with her.
    Maybe both?

Can we get the title of this post changed. I hate looking at "my rears" with Aarons name next to it:)

If...
  • Aaron
    edited July 2001
    Options
    Hey! I like my rear! I just don't like my rears, get it? Good. So stop your whining! You don't have to live with an Acoustimas rear! :D

Aaron
  • dbartol
    dbartol Posts: 66
    edited July 2001
    Options
    George, don't come down too hard on my Yankees. Atleast they stayed in a city that loves them. Where's Brooklyn's team?

strike one
  • George Grand
    edited July 2001
    Options
    SHG, Bought pro killers, it was/is easy to like guys like that. I hate all sports guys now. It started in 1957 when those scumbag Dodgers moved to Kookabarra. I still hate the Yankees the absolute most though. If they were playing against Charles Manson, Jack the Ripper, Donald Trump and those guys, I would root for Chuck & the boys.

• TroyD
    Options
    Another hilarious (to me anyway) thread from the past.

Aaron’s rear speakers were a hot topic for awhile....and El Grande’s assessment of the Yankees is pure gold...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    That's good readin Troy o:)