Turntable Plunge

2»

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    dc,

Installing the tone arm is not biggie. Should fit right into slot in the plinth and screws hold it in place. The cable’s loop attaches to drive mechanism to lift arm at end of play.

The RCA’s in the pic look to be shiny gold plated, but if they look corroded to you, yeah, replace them. Since the bar does not have RCA’s on it, darn, it’ll be a little more involved, but still easy to do. Are the terminals on the bar screwed or soldered?What I don’t see is a grounding wire running in parallel to the IC leads… unusual… We’ll address that later if necessary.

If the cable is decent looking, consider just replacing the RCA plugs. Radio Shack or HD carries replacements.

If you want to replace the cable as well:
    On the tone arm IC's, should be four connections to the white junction bar: R, RG, L, and LG, where “G” is ground. Be sure they are marked.
    NOTE: BE very careful handling this junction bar, the tone arm leads attached to it are very light, often single wires to keep the mass low, and are fairly fragile.
    Note how the existing cable is terminated both the leads and the shielding. You’ll reproduce this arrangement with the new cable.

You can use any IC you want. Gauge thickness will vary, but the terminating will be the same. It’s probably best to by a pre-made cable in the length you’ll need and snip the RCA’s off of one end. Might be good idea to practice preparing the cable in the picture as if you were going to reattach it, before you hack into your new cable. What you’ll see is a mini-coax cable, just like the cable runs in your house, just downsized.

Don’t know what else to say for now. Ask away when you have more questions.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    quick hi-jack here.

has any1 looked at the digital denon turntable? it gives a PCM 44.1 khz output jack for recording. Thats pretty cool IMO!

Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited May 2003
    dc,
    Did find these...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3024900962&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1
    Quality unknown, but reads OK.

One's on needledoctor were >$100. That's why I said make your own...

HB,
    Cool factor yes, but need factor? Analog signal path is shortened vs. rounting to Digital pre/pro or PC, but not sure the loss is significant enough to warrant an ADC in a TT.

That said, gotta link? ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2003
    I actually pulled that pick off another web site.

My plugs aren't gold plated, as far as I can see they're the originals from the 70s and very badly corroded. If I had digital camera I would take a pic.

Long weekend, I'll have some time to mess around.

What's weird is I didn't find a ground cable, just R/L plugs.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2003
    Ok, I replaced the interconnects yesterday. There was a moderate improvement, nothing too special. I used an old RCA interconnect I had lying around. I used to use it on my CDP and it has a slight muffled quality to it. I may install some RCA plugs on the TT so i can experiment with cables without making it a big soldering job.

The ground is connected to the subplatter.

Gonna look for a new cart today.

Boy, patience really comes into play with analog stuff. So much to do. Once I'm there it'll all be worth it though. :D

Derick.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited May 2003
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

HB,
    Cool factor yes, but need factor? Analog signal path is shortened vs. rounting to Digital pre/pro or PC, but not sure the loss is significant enough to warrant an ADC in a TT.

That said, gotta link? ;)

I did not think there would be much interest from a purist standpoint so I was just asking for opinions.

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=dendpdj151

This thing is so damn neet I can't stop thinking about it... The denon model "DP-DJ151" gives a redbook digital out for recording or I could actually pipe it into my DAC if I want. With both options, digital and analog I could have the best of both worlds really mixing new with the old.

Just a thought.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***