Reference Music

Options
daboyz
daboyz Posts: 5,206
edited January 2010 in The Clubhouse
OK, I'm going to retry this since the first thread seems to be having technical difficulties. I'm hoping for a much better turn out.

Tell me about a song or two that you would use to show off your system........
Post edited by daboyz on

Comments

• I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Mapleshade recordings have been pretty clean.

A lot of the Latin Jazz stuff I have is clean and dynamic. Try Cal Tjader Cuban Fantasy.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I would try the intro to Electric Ladyland. It has a rediculous amount of SDA effect and the production is phenominal
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited January 2010
    Options
    It depends on the crowd.

Money for Nothing (Dire Straits) or Heartache Tonight (Eagles) for the regulars

Almost anything Alan Parsons Project for those that know how to listen.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Gladiator soundtrack.
    Dark City soundtrack. (This recording will fry,destroy, or otherwise terminate with extreme prejudice cheap equipment with it's deep bass and enormous dynamic range).
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • ozzy21236
    ozzy21236 Posts: 100
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Again ,I'll recommend Mercenary Territory by Little Feat from Waiting For Columbus and Yours Is No Disgrace by Yes from The Yesalbum.
    Russ
    Technics SL1210mkll / AT125LC / Cambridge Audio 640P / Yamaha TX-950 / Onkyo TA-2600 / Yamaha C-80 pre/Adcom GFA 545 / Polk Audio Monitor 12 Series 2
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Anything by Diana Krall

Sarah Brightman - Timeless
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Dire Straights, just about anything from those dudes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Riviera Paradise"
    People always ask "who was that?" after it's over.You can hear people breath almost as they sit and listen to that instramental.Listen to the sudio version though!
    I put it in my top 10 all time or right up there.

Alan Parsons (just about anything)gets another vote from me too!
    His song "Mr. Time" rates high and so does "Turn it up" also "Oh Life"

Celine Dions' "OH HOLY NIGHT"
    The crescendo will move the clothes on your listeners if they're loose enough.:eek:

The Eagles "Hotel California" on the "When Hell Freezes Over" CD
    Jaws drop on those early bass impacts.

Dire Straights get another vote here too. "Down to the water line" and Sultans of Swing" They smile ear to ear and ask "what kind of speakers are those again?"..Polk audio SDA-SRS2's!:D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,006
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Modest Mouse: "Gravity Rides Everything" and "Missed the Boat"
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|KEF Reference 1 Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • everpress
    everpress Posts: 862
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I use a Mates of State "Re-Arranged: Remixes Vol. 1"... It's terribly 'chick-friendly', but the difficulty of synth, drum and harmonized vocals is a rough mixture for systems to replicate well.

There are stunning lows and blasting highs with a full range of vocals in the middle.
    It's great reference material, IMHO.

? Harmon Kardon AVR 55 (dead; replacing with Onkyo TX NR-616)
    ? Polk RTA 11TL's (FR and FL)
    ? Polk TSi200's (RR and RL)
    ? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Grado SR-60i Headphones
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? Mac Mini (as media server)
    ? xbox 360

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2010
    Options
    As far as only 2 songs goes, I'd have to pick Time and The Great Gig in The Sky off of Pink Floyd's DSOTM.

In SACD, ofcourse:p
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited January 2010
    Options
    Throw them out there if you got more.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have a DSD HDCD 24 bit recording on a gold CD of a greatest hits of Michael Jackson. It blows away most SACDs I've heard in terms of quality. Found it on eBay about 4 years ago from a Hong Kong seller and can't find it again but it's amazing.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I forgot to mention that OLIVE " Extra Virgin" CD. Check out the song "Falling"
    The bass is shockingly:eek: well done! People smile at that one too.:D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.