A comparison opinion poll:

Options
dbartol
dbartol Posts: 66
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
Nothing too exciting here but I was curious about this. What would sound better. The RT3000p's (sub/sat) vs. RT55 (not the i series) matched with a $1500 subwoofer.

1) RT3000's

2) RT55's with the powerful sub
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2001
    Options
    ...3000's.....a little more xover technology, a better, made for each other blend?

Which $1500 sub? Just curious.

R
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited October 2001
    Options
    My guess is that the RT3k satellites are crossed over at a higher frequency than the RT55's to let the built-in subs handle the bass. This should produce a cleaner midrange, because the drivers won't be trying to produce the lower frequencies (which they really can't produce anyway) and this should also prevent extraneous craziness going on inside the cabinet (resonance, turbulance, etc.). Just my theory. I would think that a $1500 sub would probably probably kick the snot out of the RT3k's in the bass department, especially on low-end extension. I think a more interesting comparison would be the LSi9's with a nice sub.

Aaron
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I like the RT55i's+a nice sub because the 55's don't have the crossover limits that were mentioned above. I have a separate subwoofer crossover to run separates for the sub and mains, so this is why I would preer to use my external crossovers, than the speaker's. Flexibility, baby! YMMV...

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I think you may have missed the point about the crossovers. I was citing that as an advantage. Since you have the built in subs, why would you try to force those small 6.5" woofers to produce the low end? You actually have more flexibility with the RT3000's in that you can fully customize the bass (crossover and volume). This will also let you correct for some room placement problems as well.

Aaron
  • dbartol
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I was thinking a Velodyne or a Sunfire, but this is all hypothetical right now. I'd probably give the knod to the 55's with one of these subs. I love powerful/tight bass.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited October 2001
    Options
    If you hooked up the 55i's through a high pass filter on the sub (many of the subs have this - including the Polk PSW650), the sub would remove the very-scarey-lows from the 55's speaker signal; thus, cleaning up things quite a bit for the 55i's and making their job easier.
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Good point, Ron. Hey Darrin, if I were you I'd really wait for the LSi9. If they're as good as Paul and Micah are saying I think it would be worth your time.

Aaron
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited October 2001
    Options
    I fully agree that getting bass below 60-50Hz off the 55's will help them tremendously, but I want to pick that point below 60-50Hz to do this. My point wasn't about not crossong-over the 55's, but that one would have more flexibility in where they could be crossed-over. Say you have a beefy sub sub that is incredible up to only 50Hz, but this other sub is more well rounded and works up to 65Hz. With the 55's, you could play with you bass managment more to get a better blend. The 3000 satellites are stuck wherever Polk deemed fit to match with the 3000 subs. Your SVS, Paradigm or Velodyne or whoever will have different characteristics, thus requiring a different crossover point.

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • Aaron
    edited October 2001
    Options
    Yeah, that's true. I was only thinking about the ability to vary the sub's crossover, not the RT55's high pass point. Hmm, the plot thickens. And to add a little more spice, consider that the RT3000 satellites are a sealed box, I believe.....

Aaron
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    Options
    A Velodyne or other sub would go lower then the 3000s so you would also get the benifit of better bass with a 55 and sub. The 3000s sub goes down to 26 or 28 Hz while a good sub should go below 20Hz at least. You can't go wrong with better bass. BTW Has anyone checked out the ML Decsents?
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • dbartol
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Actually the 3000's subwoofer is rated down to 18Hz. Also in a review by Home Theater magazine they measured the 3000's sub against Polk's PSW1200 and the 3000's played lower, but not nearly as loud.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited November 2001
    Options
    Darrin
    Better check your specs again. The over all is 18 but the lower limit is 28. Besides the the amp is only rated at 30Hz-? so your not getting to 18Hz.
    BTW its good to have a conversation or debate with you with no name calling. Hope it stays this way. :)
    Chris
    Chris :)