Need help with my subwoofer's bass

Options
Hello.//i had bought a psw110 subwoofer a while back that i had connected to a all-in-one panasonic receiver.., and after some advice from people/..i decided to buy a different receiver..i just bought it yesterday and i hooked everything, but i cant seem to get the subwoofer to be putting out bass as i thought it would..and im using a single rca cable hooked up to the sub out connection..and this is the receiver i bought..what can i do to make the subwoofers bass rattle or be noticeable???

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+500W+5.1-Ch.+A/V+Home+Theater+Receiver/9245523.p?id=1218066769427&skuId=9245523&st=sony%20receiver&cp=1&lp=2
Post edited by JDScarface on

Comments

• concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Have you checked the settings on the receiver to make sure that the level is acceptable? You may have to boost the signal going to the sub.

Again, if you're looking to rattle windows, you bought the wrong sub.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000
  • JDScarface
    JDScarface Posts: 13
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Have you checked the settings on the receiver to make sure that the level is acceptable? You may have to boost the signal going to the sub.

Again, if you're looking to rattle windows, you bought the wrong sub.

yea..i put it on +6 and you cant really much tell a difference,,,and which sub do you think is good enough to do that??

well see the thing is..before i bought the new receiver..there was much more bass then there is now..so do u think maybe the new receiver is the problem??it used to be connected to the panasonic home theatre

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+1000W+5.1-Ch.+Home+Theater+System+with+DVD+Player/9285436.p?id=1218074554732&skuId=9285436&st=ThanksgivingWeekendSale_HomeTheater&cp=2&lp=5
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Is there a level control on the sub?

Judging a sub by how well it rattles your window isn't really something i can help you with... i don't really look for that. I would say just get something with a 15" driver and a huge amp if you're just looking for SPL only.
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

• JDScarface
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Is there a level control on the sub?

Judging a sub by how well it rattles your window isn't really something i can help you with... i don't really look for that. I would say just get something with a 15" driver and a huge amp if you're just looking for SPL only.

do u mean level control by..when it goes up +6 and -6..

well im not really trying to rattle windows or anything..i just want to have nice bass..and right now,..i cant really hear bass...when i sit next to the sub i kinda hear it..but when i go far away from the sub or where i sit..i cant hear any bass...
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    JDScarface wrote: »
    do u mean level control by..when it goes up +6 and -6..

well im not really trying to rattle windows or anything..i just want to have nice bass..and right now,..i cant really hear bass...when i sit next to the sub i kinda hear it..but when i go far away from the sub or where i sit..i cant hear any bass...

Is there a level control on the sub itself.....?

• JDScarface
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Is there a level control on the sub itself.....?

theres only a volume control knob and a low-pass filter knob..
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    theres only a volume control knob and a low-pass filter knob..

And you have each set to what?

• everpress
    everpress Posts: 862
    edited December 2009
    Options
    Are you connecting using the LFE or are you running your Front left/Front right from your reciever to your sub and then from your sub to your speakers?

There is a good chance that if you are running direct from LFE, you might not be hearing your bass as pronounced when listening to music, but you're hearing it better when watching movies.

If you run your wires from your receiver to your sub and then from your sub to your speakers, you'll have your sub engaged anytime you are using your speakers (whether it's 2 channel or 5 channel).

? Harmon Kardon AVR 55 (dead; replacing with Onkyo TX NR-616)
    ? Polk RTA 11TL's (FR and FL)
    ? Polk TSi200's (RR and RL)
    ? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Grado SR-60i Headphones
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? Mac Mini (as media server)
    ? xbox 360

• JDScarface
    edited December 2009
    Options
    And you have each set to what?

the volume is at max and the low pass is around 120..
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    the volume is at max and the low pass is around 120..

Yikes, that sounds high. What are your main speakers again? I think you need to try what everpress said.

What is your crossover set at on the AVR?

• JDScarface
    edited December 2009
    Options
    everpress wrote: »
    Are you connecting using the LFE or are you running your Front left/Front right from your reciever to your sub and then from your sub to your speakers?

There is a good chance that if you are running direct from LFE, you might not be hearing your bass as pronounced when listening to music, but you're hearing it better when watching movies.

If you run your wires from your receiver to your sub and then from your sub to your speakers, you'll have your sub engaged anytime you are using your speakers (whether it's 2 channel or 5 channel).

the way i have it connected as of right now...the subwoofer..cable which is a dynex $25 sub cable from the sub out pre out on the receiver to the right/red lfe in....the i have just for now..the center speaker and front left and right connected...

so r u saying that i should connect all the speakers to the back of my sub??
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    the way i have it connected as of right now...the subwoofer..cable which is a dynex $25 sub cable from the sub out pre out on the receiver to the right/red lfe in....the i have just for now..the center speaker and front left and right connected...

so r u saying that i should connect all the speakers to the back of my sub??

Is there a left AND right RCA jack on the back of the sub? Try the left. Don't know why, but if there's both, i always put it in the left one.

• everpress
    edited December 2009
    Options
    You don't connect all your speakers to your sub. On the back you'll see left channel in/ right channel in and right under that, the outs for those.

You run your speaker cables for the front left and front right from your receiver to your sub and then from your sub to your front left and front right.

Make sure to unplug your LFE if you hook it up this way. Then readjust your settings on the sub. Set it back to what the factory sugests it to be and turn it down; you don't need to blow it trying to adjust it.

Then run some music through it and adjust for your taste.

Letus know if that helps; I know on my system I have abandoned the LFE completely and run my speakers in this configuration, mostly because my fronts are so bad **** that the sub is really only there for back up and a little tactile support (so I can feel the couch rumble).

? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? xbox 360

• bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited December 2009
    Options
    As I said in the other thread. If you are hearing bass close to it and than when you walk away you hear nothing. You need to relocated the sub. It is something a lot of us had to do when we first got our subs. You can not just sit it anywhere and have great bass.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • JDScarface
    edited December 2009
    Options
    yea i tried what everpress said but..it still sounded the same..so then i decided to go ask the people at best buy..and one of the persons who helped me recommended that i should buy a splitter..and connect it to the subwoofer cable and then to plug it in the right and left channel...

when i tried that,,,it worked a lot better..and i also had it messed up on the receiver...i though i had switched the bass on the subwoofer...but i had put it up on the left/right and center speakers..which was making it sound nasty..

so like i said now that i plugged the splitter cable in..it sounds a lot better...so thanks to everyone who tried to help me!!
  • JDScarface
    edited December 2009
    Options
    As I said in the other thread. If you are hearing bass close to it and than when you walk away you hear nothing. You need to relocated the sub. It is something a lot of us had to do when we first got our subs. You can not just sit it anywhere and have great bass.

like i posted on the new reply..my subwoofer sounds a whole lot better from where i sit now.i can actually hear the bass now from where i sit...since im using the splitter to connect both white and red cables...

but im going to leave it how it is now for a couple of days..then im going to try to relocate the sub like u said to see if i can hear better bass...so thanks for ur help!!
  • concealer404
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The splitter should have nothing to do with it... but glad it sounds better... :)

• everpress
    edited December 2009
    Options
    The splitter should have nothing to do with it... but glad it sounds better... :)

It's BestBuy.... they would sell a damn cable/splitter to you for a toaster oven... And a 3 year warantee that wasn't worth a damn.

? Polk CS10 (Center)
    ? Polk PSW-350
    ? Fii0 E5 headphone amp
    ? iPod touch (8 gig)
    ? iPod Classic (80 gig)
    ? xbox 360

• bigaudiofanatic
    bigaudiofanatic Posts: 4,415
    edited December 2009
    Options
    I have a splitter on mine either way it does not sound any different with or without it.
    HT setup
    Panasonic 50" TH-50PZ80U
    Denon DBP-1610
    Monster HTS 1650
    Carver A400X :cool:
    MIT Exp 3 Speaker Wire
    Kef 104/2
    URC MX-780 Remote
    Sonos Play 1

Living Room
    63 inch Samsung PN63C800YF
    Polk Surroundbar 3000
    Samsung BD-C7900
  • ikolbyi
    ikolbyi Posts: 77
    edited January 2010
    Options
    This to me sounds like the receiver is not configured to use the LFE as an output. I had this issue with my new receiver. Once I engaged the LTE port by switching to a setting (other than Stereo or configuring Stereo to include LTE) the sub worked fine.

If this is not the case, it sounds like the wiring is incorrect.
    Zone 1
    (5.1 Setup)
    -- VM 20 (L/R)
    -- RM 8 Center (center)
    -- VM 10 (S.L/R)
    -- DSW microPRO 1000 (LFE)
    Zone 2
    -- Atrium 45
    Denon AVR-2809
    (7.1 Setup)
    -- RM 6600 (L/R + center + S.L/R)
    -- RM 7 (SB.L/R)
    -- PSW 350 (LFE)
    Denon AVR-1909
  • bhudson
    bhudson Posts: 4
    edited January 2010
    Options
    I have much the same problem, upgraded receivers and lost most of my bass. in an attempt to fix it , i purchased a 505, still have not huge amounts of bass. receiver is set to lfe, using sub out ect. any ideas?
  • bhudson
    bhudson Posts: 4
    edited January 2010
    Options
    was just reading other posts, you will need to know a few things. yamaha rxv 675, lfe out @ rec. rec @ 60hz (80/90 makes very little difference) small/large makes very little difference for speaker size. had an older htr yammy which had tons of bass with a velodyne 10". seems to be ok watching movies but have very little for music. have tried placement although it worked great with the other reciever, it doesn't help. have even tried both subs it but only makes it dirty not more pronounced. this forum is the best thing ive found for sound issues. awesome job guys!!!
  • phycomp
    phycomp Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Hi, I have also found that I need to manually tweak the bass output up having run the room correction setup, as the bass always sounds weak mif I stick to the settings applied by YPAO. Your Yamaha RXV675 is a very good receiver and should sound good on movies and music, so just edit the bass level in the menu and see how you feel then.
  • classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    edited May 2013
    Options
    phycomp wrote: »
    Hi, I have also found that I need to manually tweak the bass output up having run the room correction setup, as the bass always sounds weak mif I stick to the settings applied by YPAO. Your Yamaha RXV675 is a very good receiver and should sound good on movies and music, so just edit the bass level in the menu and see how you feel then.

You do realize that this thread is 3 years old, right?
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• Mon40CSMM10
    Mon40CSMM10 Posts: 161
    Options
    I have a Pioneer home theater receiver that will not power on the subwoofer at a reasonable listening volume unless it's at least at +5.5 dB (out of a maximum of +10 dB). Then again it also has a very odd volume scale of -94 dB to -18 dB.

When I do have analog attenutation on (in case ever I do want to play music much louder!), I still rarely turn music up past -50 dB receiver volume. Because of that, I had to use a subwoofer volume of +6.5 dB to consistently auto power on for music that would otherwise not have enough bass to power the sub on using a subwoofer volume of +5.5 dB.

(Even if this is an older thread, the information would still be useful.)