DB840 sub in LSI15's replace the stock 8"driver!!!!!

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,002
    edited November 2009
    If it's not leaking any air i'd leave it alone. I couldn't even get mine to setup with the rubber seal, guess your better at this stuff than i am lol. Not a chance of that:D
    Anyway i used 8 screws simply because i had them. If your not leaking any air then i see no reason to worry about it as the 4 screws should do the job.

With me being not very handy and two of you saying you had to take the rubber seal off, I took the rubber seal off.

Doesn't seem to have made a difference, but I certainly feel better about it.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • TouchOfEvil
    TouchOfEvil Posts: 967
    edited November 2009
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    With me being not very handy and two of you saying you had to take the rubber seal off, I took the rubber seal off.

Doesn't seem to have made a difference, but I certainly feel better about it.

Did you use mortite when you installed them? If so it could explain it not leaking any air even with it on. Otherwise no idea.
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • PSOVLSK
    edited November 2009
    Did you use mortite when you installed them? If so it could explain it not leaking any air even with it on. Otherwise no idea.

No, I haven't found any yet. I can't tell that I'm leaking any air, but I'm still going to get some and use it just for peace of mind.

Thanks for the heads up on this mod and for your great write up about your experience. I think I'm going to be very happy with the end results once they're broken-in.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • chamont
    chamont Posts: 22
    edited November 2009
    Last night I started pulling my drivers out to install No Rez to the inside of my case.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I couldn't find Mortite, so I got some generic "tape caulk" from Lowes. So last night I unscrewed my new DB840, but that sucker was glued in there so tight that I couldn't get it out!

Holy **** (are we allowed to cuss on this forum?) I thought.

So I let it sit face down overnight, hoping that the weight of the driver would pull it away from the cabinet. Luckily, it did come out some time during the night. But now I have a huge mess of caulk all around the rim of my cabinet. Ugh.

In hindsight now, I think I should have used the thin rubber gasket that was on the old driver. I'm not sure about Mortite, but the stuff I used is pretty much the same as using caulk in a bottle. It's strong.

FYI....
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited November 2009
    Mortite wouldn't do that.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • PSOVLSK
    edited November 2009
    chamont wrote: »
    Last night I started pulling my drivers out to install No Rez to the inside of my case.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I couldn't find Mortite, so I got some generic "tape caulk" from Lowes. So last night I unscrewed my new DB840, but that sucker was glued in there so tight that I couldn't get it out!

Holy **** (are we allowed to cuss on this forum?) I thought.

So I let it sit face down overnight, hoping that the weight of the driver would pull it away from the cabinet. Luckily, it did come out some time during the night. But now I have a huge mess of caulk all around the rim of my cabinet. Ugh.

In hindsight now, I think I should have used the thin rubber gasket that was on the old driver. I'm not sure about Mortite, but the stuff I used is pretty much the same as using caulk in a bottle. It's strong.

FYI....

This might be reason enough for me to leave well enough alone:p

But based on Face's post, maybe not.
  • TouchOfEvil
    edited November 2009
    Mortite is very easy to work with and nothing like you mentioned in a tube.
    It's a solid but workable and does a great job.
    Of course if you don't have any air leaks you can always just go with it i guess.
    On mine i could feel and hear the leaks so i had to use the mortite on them.
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
  • PSOVLSK
    edited December 2009
    I've had pretty much the same experience as the others who have posted about this mod. Deeper, tighter bass. Nothing earth shattering, but a very nice improvement...especially for the price I paid.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2009
    Glad to hear you're having fun TOE. I mentioned this mod a couple years ago but nobody paid attention so I just stayed in my own little world.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited December 2009
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're having fun TOE. I mentioned this mod a couple years ago but nobody paid attention so I just stayed in my own little world.

I listened... I was just too lazy to do it.
  • TouchOfEvil
    edited December 2009
    dorokusai wrote: »

I'm glad you mentioned it again when you did. This was a nice easy mod and with a low price tag to boot. Very worthwhile IMO. Thanks for the heads up again.
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    Computer Rig:
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited January 2010
    I've never opened up my LSi15's (or really any speaker, for that matter). What specifically is involved in changing out these drivers?
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • PSOVLSK
    edited January 2010
    Preface: This answer is coming from a guy who wants to upgrade the XO's in my 15's, but I'm afraid of messing something up. In other words, I'm no handyman, electrician, etc.

This is an EASY mod.
    1) Lay the speaker on it's side, woofer side up.
    2) Take off the woofer grill, speaker cover, whatever you want to call it. (This was arguably the hardest part for me).
    3) Unscrew the 4 screws holding in the woofer
    4) Unhook the internal wires connected to the woofer and take the woofer out.
    5) Hook the wires you just unplugged to the dB840.
    6) Drop the dB840 in the opening. (Don't forget to take off the gasket and add mortite)
    7) Screw in the new woofer (Not too tight though or you'll break off the screw)
    8) Replace the woofer grill.
    9) Set speaker back upright and enjoy. But realize you'll be more impressed in a few weeks when they start to sound even better.

Others who have done this, did I leave anything out?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,007
    edited January 2010
    I'd love to hear a pair after all the upgrades. They are excellent speakers before you crack them open. The bass was always the problem on the 15's. It's not out of control for what you pay for the 15's it's an except able flaw.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited January 2010
    hmmmm, how the hell did I miss this? I might try this, perhaps a project at Polkfest this year, I have a pair of 15's. I love how they sound so I never think of modding them, but i usually trust Doro's judgement in these audio things (though not for much else :) )
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • tcrossma
    edited January 2010
    Preface: This answer is coming from a guy who wants to upgrade the XO's in my 15's, but I'm afraid of messing something up. In other words, I'm no handyman, electrician, etc.

This is an EASY mod.
    1) Lay the speaker on it's side, woofer side up.
    2) Take off the woofer grill, speaker cover, whatever you want to call it. (This was arguably the hardest part for me).
    3) Unscrew the 4 screws holding in the woofer
    4) Unhook the internal wires connected to the woofer and take the woofer out.
    5) Hook the wires you just unplugged to the dB840.
    6) Drop the dB840 in the opening. (Don't forget to take off the gasket and add mortite)
    7) Screw in the new woofer (Not too tight though or you'll break off the screw)
    8) Replace the woofer grill.
    9) Set speaker back upright and enjoy. But realize you'll be more impressed in a few weeks when they start to sound even better.

Others who have done this, did I leave anything out?

Thanks for the directions. I'm having a heck of a time getting the grills off to even look around, but otherwise it sounds very easy to do. I might give it a shot.
  • PSOVLSK
    edited January 2010
    tcrossma wrote: »
    ...I'm having a heck of a time getting the grills off to even look around...

Honestly, it's probably the most difficult part of the whole process.

I'd like to hear how others got the grill off. I hate to admit this, but I used an ice pick...VERY carefully. I worried about snagging the material, but I didn't. The only problem is that I got a couple of very small little scratches on the speaker. Probably only noticable to me, but it still iritates me a little.
  • tcrossma
    edited January 2010
    The only problem is that I got a couple of very small little scratches on the speaker. Probably only noticable to me, but it still iritates me a little.

That's what I'm afraid of doing, which is probably why I'm having a hard time with it. I just can't seem to get any grip on the grill without also touching the wood panel, which risks marking it up. But I'm going to spend some more time on it soon and be a little more patient and see if I can make some progress.
  • domflane
    domflane Posts: 653
    edited January 2010
    Anyone have pictures of one of these upgrades? I would love to see what the DB's look like in that beautiful LSi cabinet. Also, a friend of mine has 15's and I could encourage him to rtry this upgrade/
    Home Theater
    RTiA5 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - PSW650 - Pioneer Elite SC-55 - Carver AV-505 - Sony 46" 120Hz - Monster HP 2400 - Xbox 360 - Playstation 3
    2 Channel
    Polk RTA 15TL - Harman Kardon HK3485 - HK DVD48 - Signal Cable IC's and speaker cables
  • Jason_k
    Jason_k Posts: 110
    edited January 2010
    I just bought a set of LSI 15's for Music and got to say I love them. But as like most I find the bass a little lacking, got my hand on the trigger to do this mod, just wondering about this mortite stuff, any links for this product? pics of this installion floating around?

Thanks
  • TouchOfEvil
    edited January 2010
    Not sure of any links for the mortite, i found mine a my local hardware store. As for pics of the install i did not take any but it's so easy you really do not need them.
    If i get some spare time i may take the cover off this weekend and snap a pic of the new driver in there.
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    Computer Rig:
  • Jason_k
    Jason_k Posts: 110
    edited January 2010
    That would be great TouchEvil if its not too much trouble. Going to take a look in the hardware store tonite, its used for weather stripping right?, thats all google came up with. Also if i didn't I like the mod would it be easy to change back with the mortite on it.

Thanks

Just order the speakers, could't resist!
  • PSOVLSK
    edited January 2010
    Jason_k wrote: »
    Also if i didn't I like the mod would it be easy to change back with the mortite on it.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that. Give it time though. I think if the improvement I have now would have been immediate, I would have considered it significant. I'd love to hear a stock pair vs. a pair that's had the new sub for a while.
  • TouchOfEvil
    edited January 2010
    That would be great TouchEvil if its not too much trouble. Going to take a look in the hardware store tonite, its used for weather stripping right?, thats all google came up with. Also if i didn't I like the mod would it be easy to change back with the mortite on it.

Thanks

Just order the speakers, could't resist!

Yes it would be easy to go back. The woofer would have a tighter seal and a little tougher to get out but you can do. I know because i pulled one after the fact and it was no big deal.
    Just remember to give the new woofers some break in time. It makes a big difference as you get more and more hours on them.
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    Computer Rig:
  • tcrossma
    edited February 2010
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    I used the pointed ends of a pair of larger plastic ty-wraps. I slipped them in on the edges and eased out the grille fairlly easily. The plastic won't mark the wood or damage the grille.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get the grills off? Honestly, I've tried just about everything. There's zero space around the edge of the grill to slide anything in there, and the grill doesn't stick up enough to pry it off. I've tried just about everything short of cutting the cloth, tearing the cover off, and ordering two new ones. These grill covers are just on too damn tight!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited February 2010
    istockphoto7043008squee.jpg

:D
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2010
    I just bought a set of LSI 15's for Music and got to say I love them. But as like most I find the bass a little lacking, got my hand on the trigger to do this mod, just wondering about this mortite stuff, any links for this product? pics of this installion floating around?

Thanks

http://www.conservationmart.com/p-81-mortite-45-foot-gray-rope-caulk-f-4.aspx

try a little google in your life :)
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • PSOVLSK
    edited February 2010
    tcrossma wrote: »
    Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get the grills off? Honestly, I've tried just about everything. There's zero space around the edge of the grill to slide anything in there, and the grill doesn't stick up enough to pry it off. I've tried just about everything short of cutting the cloth, tearing the cover off, and ordering two new ones. These grill covers are just on too damn tight!

No other suggestions, but the good news is that if you ever get them off, the hard part is out of the way:p The fact that it's so hard to get off is the main reason I haven't posted any pictures as has been requested.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited February 2010
    I removed mine with a set of "dental" picks from Home Depot. I've found them multi-useful for many things audio. You just need to grab an edge, start from the bottom, pull lightly and work around.

The frame is plastic so its ok to dig as opposed to using the actual loudspeaker as leverage. It's real easy to damage the speaker and less expensive to replace the grill.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jacob.simpson
    jacob.simpson Posts: 481
    edited February 2010
    Photos please, stock vs modded ...