Upgrading Center Channel

Options
clsgman
clsgman Posts: 18
edited March 2003 in Troubleshooting
FONT=century]In an effort to upgrade the quality of my center channel, I purchased a CS 101 to replace the center speaker which came with the RM6000 set. I have 2 questions:

1. Although I bought the speaker already, can I expect an improvement in sonic quality over the RM6000 center speaker?

2. The space in my wall unit will not accomodate the CS101 w/o my cutting off the rubber feet on the cabinet (talk abount just missing the boat). Will I degrade sonics of the speaker by doing so?

Your reply is appreciated
][/FONT]
Post edited by clsgman on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I don't think you will notice much, if any improvement. The CS101 had a 4x6" midbass, and a 2" cone tweeter to match the first 'R' series from polk (if I remember correctly). Ie, the R1 and R2.

The CS101 should definately be set to small, so rubber feet shouldn't be an issue from an isolation standpoint. I would still try to get SOMETHING in between it and the wall unit, try a thin felt, or thin sheet of neoprene (or thin neoprene pads).

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • clsgman
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Thanks Rooster. I got such a great deal on the CS101, I bought it without thinking whether it was a better speaker. But since I have it, I'll have to connect it and give it a try
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    I believe the rm center will sound better as a unit as they are all the same.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • clsgman
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Thanks for your input Rooster and Mantis. Guess I'll keep the center I got with the RM set.