RC60i/RC80i installation-sealed enclosure & insulations?

Options
edthomsoncpa
edthomsoncpa Posts: 1
edited March 2003 in Troubleshooting
Am about to install RC60i & RC80i speakers in ceiling (new construction). Have read all I can find and seems to be no agreement whether they should be mounted in a sealed enclosure w/ insulation, or without. Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks.
Post edited by edthomsoncpa on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    First of all welcome to our forum.
    What you wanna do is get the new construction brackets.This allows your drywallers to cut out the holes for you.I will supply a pic of mine.I also own the rc60i inceiling I installed them in my dinningroom.
    You question aboutthe back boxes???Well you can build your own backbox and Insulate it.Sure why not,but remember there inceiling speakers designed for background music.My attic is Insulated,I'm gonna break in the speakers for awhile and see if I need to tweak them.Don't install them into bare cells.They will have poor bass responce and boom if you will.Muddy.
    At very least Insulate them.It makes a noticable difference.Stuff the entire cell.
    Here's a pic of mine.That stupid candle stick light is commin down.The Electrician didn't even center it.We upgraded it to a nicer light.But you get the Idea.They are Rc60i holes.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    If your wondering why I have a scafel in my dinningroom it's because the house is brand new and still under construction.
    It's 99% finished now.
    Dan
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Mantis and Ed,

As far as a backfill or enclosure for the ceiling/wall speakers, have you seen these?

I would post the pic but do not know how.

prodview.asp?I=188SC1

It is a pre-made baffle. Any experience with this? And if so, would'nt that be an option for a after construction install? I am torn on ceiling/wall surrounds right now but live in a existing home.

That is real odd that he didn't center that light....Did you punch him? ;)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • mantis
    edited March 2003
    Options
    No I have no experience with ti but It looks like it would help or even work.I like it,I like it alot.I would/maybe will give em a try and do a A - B test with them.My attic is easy to get around in,I can stand up it's a high A frame.
    On a side note Sonance has sonafill.It's basically does them samething claimed here.
    Here's the link...... www.sonance.com
    Go under Products.
    Dan