Sda2-b

Options
gkellerman
gkellerman Posts: 8
edited March 2003 in Troubleshooting
Hello all! I need help diagnosing my venerable SDA2's. The tweeter on my left channel keeps shutting down at moderatly high volumes. The right channel never. I'm wondering if it's likely to be the tweeter itself of since it sounds a little different (mostly seems to be in the midrange) or if it's more likely the crossover sending out of band components to it. Recommendations are welcome. Myself I was thinking of purchasing 2 new crossover's and tweeters.

Thanks,

Greg
gkellerman@niche-soft.com
Post edited by gkellerman on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited March 2003
    Options
    As old as they are,it's not a bad Idea to give them a freshen up.Replace the tired old drivers and tweeters and bring NEW life back.Polk has em,take advantage of it while they still offer them.Who knows how long they will continue to replace there older model drivers.It's super cool they do.:)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited March 2003
    Options
    gkellerman,

Welcome to the forum.

First thing you need to do is swap the the left tweeter with the right one and see what happens. If the suspected bad tweeter does the same thing in the right channel, then you know it's a bad tweeter. Try that and report back. Now, if you need to replace the tweeter, Polk does not sell the SL2000 anymore, but has a replacement that will work. If you replace one, then you will need to replace both. As far as "tried old drivers", as long as the rubber surrounds are in good condition there is no need to replace them.

You'll be back to grooving on both channels, real soon.music-smiley-002.gif
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gkellerman
    gkellerman Posts: 8
    edited March 2003
    Options
    F1nut thanks. I had thought of swiching drivers between the 2 channels but I'm concerned if the crossover is bad that it might 'EAT' the good tweeter. Do you know if the crossovers are a known problem?
    gkellerman@niche-soft.com
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited March 2003
    Options
    Greg,

No, not a usual problem. You could just swap the "bad" tweeter into the right cabinet and see how it sounds without placing the "good" tweeter into the left cabinet. These speakers do have a thermal overload (safety device) for the tweeters and I suppose it's possible that it may have gone bad. If so, you could replace it without replacing the entire crossover. I should also mention that even if the thermal overload is bad that it will not make a good tweeter go bad.

F1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2003
    Options
    gkellerman,
    Contact Ken or Lauren of Polk CS directly. They'll mail you a troubleshooting guide for SDA's. The tests require only a Volt Ohm Meter and a little bit of patience to check out your speaks...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD