JVC S60 vrs. the Sony NS700p..here I go again.

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
After putting the Panny RP56 head-to-head with the Sony NS700p, I was all set to keep the Sony. Until, I came across the JVC. Without even any tweaking, this player shines above the NS700p in progressive mode. Heck, even my wife could see the difference. The JVC produces a very clean, sharp and detailed picture. I tweaked a bit with AVIA last night and it is a truely stunning picture. I am still amazed at the difference.

The down fall of the JVC (although it does not have the Chroma Bug (Sony) or the Flicker Bug (Panny RP56), it is a bit more grainy in video mode. This is no concern to me as I watch all most 100% film material and rarely any extras on the disks which tend to be video based. The other downfall is that it does not have a chipset for deinterlaceing, it reads the progressive flags right off the DVD. Some DVDs, although progressive, might have some video based flags which will send the player into video mode. The nice thing is that it has a punch thru film mode which will lock the player in progressive mode so this really is not a major issue. The video mode is not nearly as bad as I read on this player. It is the worst of the three but not by much.

Another nice feature is this player will automatically displays the proper aspect ratio of 4:3 material (menus and such), the Sony and Panny did not. The JVC is more of a tweakers player :cool: which I like. It is very flexable and there are two progressive modes you can customize, or you can just set it to smart mode and let it do all the work.

If you are looking for an excellent player, with a top-notch progressive picture, this might just be the one. And, at a price of $229.00, it might just be my new player.

More to come...

Peace Out~:D
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited October 2001
    Ron-P,

Another great review.......I was briefly looking into the jvc s60 dvd player myself but never got the chance to see how it runs through the test....only thing i know is that it was pretty inexpensive and the review from Sound & Vision was pretty good....for a value progressive scan player.

ps. seeing that your on roll on your dvd reviews.....maybe you could do a review on the Toshiba sd 5700 dvd/audio dvd player vs the JVC XV-d 723g dvd/dvd audio player. I'm looking into buying one of these models but i'm not sure which way to go and the Toshiba doesn't hit the local stores til early nov(Canada).....i believe the Toshiba must gone through the a cycle in the US.

.dc .....have a happy review