Polk LSi speakers

2»

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2003
    Mike&Natalie,
    Have you set a budget for the equipment?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Mike&amp;Natalie
    Mike&amp;Natalie Posts: 10
    edited March 2003
    Budget for either receiver or seperates 2 to 2.5k. Worried that what ever we purchase will not be adequate and therefore the $$'s wasted. Could we receive a minimum recommendation on brand and model to adequately handle LSi line of 7 speakers?
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Mike&Natalie,
    If I were you, I would go with Rotel rsp1066 pre/pro + rmb 1075 (125 watts X 5 @8 ohms). With negotiation, you will be able to get the combo at about $2,500

As Mantis had mentioned above, don't forget to account for interconnects, it can add an extra $2-300 for a decent one.

If you are into simplicity, like I am, then you should audition rsx-1065. Mine is very adequate and capable of driving the LSis. I have the 15/c/fx/9, and it does sound great....street price is $1700-$1850. Good luck!
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • rickfaldo
    rickfaldo Posts: 49
    edited March 2003
    Mike & Natalie:

One important factor we are neglecting here is your Integra 7.3 runs two extra rear surround speakers that the Rotel does not. So, if you are intent on having 7 speakers and a sub(7.1) with a the Rotel RSX 1065, you will need another amp to run the two rear surrounds. You might want to reconsider the 7.1 speaker configeration as I don't believe there are many 7.1 DVDs available out there. Most everything is 5.1 at this time.
    If you want to remain flexible for future developments in home theater, separates are really your only choice. I agree this will move you up a notch in the budget department, but hey, join the club! Again, I don't think you will happy with anything less than 125 watts of power. You might want to look at the Denon AVR 4802 at $2499 retail. A real nice receiver in your price range. Haven't heard much bad about these receivers.

Pretty exciting getting a nice HT system isn't it? You must be going crazy with all this do this, do that stuff we offer you.

Good luck
    Rick
  • Mike&amp;Natalie
    edited March 2003
    Our HT store is recommending a B&K AVR307. Is this as good as the recommended Rotel unit, since the Rotel rep has not called with a price? They also offered to just add an amp to the Integra DTR 7.3. Comments?
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2003
    Where are you guys located in TX? If it's Austin, go to Audio Systems on Koeing.

http://www.audiosystems.com/

They will set ya up good!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Mike&Natalie,
    it's one hell of a receiver, you're going to love it. Why not go for the 507? if you get a GREAT deal on the 307, then it makes sense. Otherwise, I would go with the 507 (if both are new, and discounts are comparable), just be aware that 307 has been discontinued, and 507 is the replacement. Mantis can vouch on how good 307 is. Either way, you won't go wrong with B&K.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Mike&amp;Natalie
    edited March 2003
    Located in Plano, Tx. HT vendor is Video General. Thanks for the comment on the Rotel. Yes, we are firm on the 7.1 setup. The unit to drive is the queston. The HT states

If I understand your concern correctly...you do not feel the 7.3 will drive the Polk LSi's sufficiently?
    If you are looking at wattages and ratings of the speakers vs. power output of the receiver...I can understand your concern. However, in almost every system installed for home audio, the speakers are always capable of handling more wattage than what the receiver actually outputs. Plus you have to account for different impedance at each speaker locations and also realize that you will most likely never listen to your system at more than half its capable output...In fact, in most cases...even for audiophiles typically a 30 to 40% volume output is too loud. The Polk LSi-15's are capable of handling 20-250 watts and are 4 ohm speakers. The Integra at 4 ohms outputs 130-watts per channel (speaker) which is well within the 50% range of the speaker's capability.
    I have installed this same set-up in two other theater rooms and can assure you the sound is incredible. I would recommend that you experience this system as proposed and if you still feel you need more power driving those speakers that you look in to adding a separate amplifier. This could be done for a few hundred dollars if it truly became a concern
  • rickfaldo
    edited March 2003
    Mike & Natalie:

I guess having your own opinion is what makes the world go around and at times contributes to wars. Enough said on that matter.
    I disagree with the HT store that most audiophiles listen to their system below 30-40% of full volume. Unless the Integra 7.3 has vastly different power specs to my 7.1, then it will not provide clear audio at high volumes(comparing specs, it doesn't appear to) We know about the 8 ohm vs. 4 ohm thing, which I believe is the major problem here. My clipping problem occured playing music in stereo mode, only two front speakers powered. Can't imagine running 7 speakers at high volumes would be better. Adding another power source might not help as you will still be using the Integra for some channels.
    B & K would be great, is it in your price range?
    Aren't you glad you posted on this board now?
    Cheers,
    Rick
    p.s. guess you will just have to go with what you feel is right. You are paying someone for their advice.....
  • BeginnersLuck
    BeginnersLuck Posts: 213
    edited March 2003
    Hey Mike&Natalie-

I recommend checking out Outlaw's website...you can get the 950/770 combo for about $2500. That puts you in your priice range and should sound great!

www.outlawaudio.com

If that does not work out, try checking on ebay...

Later,
    -BL
    TWFTPQ
    Receiver: Outlaw 1050
    Amps: Outlaw M-200 x 3 (Powering Mains and Center)
    Mains: RT800i; Center: CS400i; Surrounds: F/X500i
    Sub1: 214L Vented Tempest
    Sub2: 122L Sealed Tempest
  • Frank Z
    edited March 2003
    The Outlaw option is not bad, but the 770 amp may be too much for the 7's, overkill really. Take a look at the 7100 7 channel amp instead.
  • rickfaldo
    edited March 2003
    Hey Frank: Just looked at your website, pretty cool looking setup you got there. Did you build the room HT specific?
    Good job!
    Rick
  • Frank Z
    edited March 2003
    Yep, We did everything ourselves except carpet and texturing of the drywall.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2003
    Frank, I was going to suggest the 950/7100 combo. For $1,700 I bet it would better the Integra and come close to the B&K.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    I think my brain fell out my ear.......It hurts nonetheless.
    I don't know how I missed this thead.I will attempt to end this thead with positive feeling for everyone involved.I'm going to get right into it give strong opnions on what I believe is suited for Lsi series speakers from Polk Audio........Ready??

First let me address Integra.
    NO NO NO.Integra is a very fine receiver company.Yes they are related to Integra research and all came from Onkyo.And yes they are the ELITE version of.......
    I worked with this company and they can drive a 4 ohm load.BUT....they loose all dyanmic range and struggle within.
    Integra Research is an exception here.They will comand the LSI series speakers with ease.But your looking at 10 grand.I feel all warm and fuzzy when listening to Integra Research.I would own them for sure.Out of my league as of now......but who knows.....

Next is DENON..
    NO NO NO.All except there flagship is capable.The Mighty AVR5803 can and will drive LSI but also loses dynamic power.Drive it hard and you will see.Denon is a fantastic receiver company.For rt series speakers ,I find no better in that price class.The AVR4802 is borderline,I would run LSI if I had to with it,but it's so much happier running 8 ohm load speakers like the RT series.Back to the AVR5803,runing all in ssmall you can use it well.Mating with a good sub and it's a home run.BUT....sound quality o f DENON is warm and soft.Great for RT as they are a edgy sounding line,bright if you will.The Tri lam tweeter benefits so much from DENON.The LSI series will not.

Rotel...
    ALLDAY!!!!!! Here is a company that you can actually spend little and get alot.Buying the rsx1055 and the rb1050 amp is your 7.1 answer on the cheap.This is your BEST option under 2 grand.You will be shocked when comparing Rotel to others in it's price class for sound quality and dynamic power.AWESOME.
    The rsx1065 is even better only in terms of power.Add the mighty rb1050 or feel fuzzy and jump on the rb1070.Killer performance at a price that can't be beat.
    This Product or Products I believe in heart and soul.There's a very specialplace in my heart for Rotel.You cannot and will not go wrong with Rotel.What you spend is priceless in what you get.
    For the couple Mike and Nat,This is where the journey ends for you.Unless you willing to spend more.The Price you paid for your Integra will get you right into Rotel ALLDAY.

B&K.......
    NO Need to address.They are the finest comapny in there price class.No one does it better there.They are well rounded and upgradable.Above the mention of the avr307 being disco.....true but the point you miss is UPGRADABLE.B&K products don't get outdated quickly like most others.B&K is HARDWARE and SOFTWARE upgradable.For me it was the right choice.I choose the avr307 knowing that they are releasing the avr507 upgrade and already Improved on it over the avr507 with software upgrades.Offered to the avr507 as well.Not to mention I saved a few dollars.I'm spending a ton of cash on my new theater and founf this was on place I could save a buck.
    For me B&K is where it's at.It has been for years.I have tried and search the market well.Rotel comes in at a very strong second.If B&K wasn't in my life,Rotel would take and fill the hole.

I'm gonna stop there with going into each and every company out there.Ask me and I will go into any company I have experience with.
    I will leave you guys with a list of receivers NOt to run your Lsi's with.
    1)Yamaha
    2)Onkyo
    3)Kenwood
    4)Denon(all under Flagship,then your on your own)
    5)Integra
    6)Harman Kardon
    7)Pioneer
    8)Sony
    And any other non flagship receiver on the market.

What receiver can I drive LSI with?
    1)B&Kavr307,avr507
    2)Rotel rsx1055 and rsx1065
    3)Marantz(Flagship and 1 or 2 under)
    4)Pioneer Elite vsx49txi and vsx47tx
    5)Denon avr4802 and avr5803
    6)Sunfire Ultimate receiver

Now there may be more out there for you to explore.Remember I only offer my opnion here.You can take it for what it's worth.
    Getting into the Lsi series of polk speakers yield the desire for better fidelity correct??Thats why I choose them.I used to own RT series speakers and had ups and downs with them for the time I owned them(mostly due to the powered towers rt1000p's)But after searching and searching for better speakers,they where right here under my nose.
    Most of you know the saga,some of you don't.I try my very best to offer as much information as I can supply with my experience.Again take it for what it's worth.
    Mantis
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rickfaldo
    edited March 2003
    Mike & Natalie:

You can use Mantis recommendations if you want. The only thing I can add is Mantis had this same discussion sometime back with me and if you read my previous posts, you can see clearly Mantis was totally right, from my Integra experience anyway. This receiver just cannot handle the LSi's, period.
    Good luck
    Rick
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    I see a Rotel rsx1055 and a rb1050 in someones future......I wanna hear some feedback if this happens.
    Such a good receiver.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mike&amp;Natalie
    edited March 2003
    Thanks everyone for your help. Almost made a big mistake with the Integra DTR. I have the HT company looking into the price of the Rotel units, but they say that their Rotel rep is not calling them back and therfore they do not know what the cost would be for the Rotel rsx1055 and rb1050. In searching the web I am also unable to acquire a ball park price. Anyone, here have an idea as to what these two units should cost?

Thanks again,
    Mike & Nat
  • Mike&amp;Natalie
    edited March 2003
    Oh yeah, if you are interested we have received a quote of $2553.27 for the B&K avr307 and $3170 for the B&K avr 507 from this same TH company. Good, bad, indifferent?

Mike & Nat
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited March 2003
    I picked up my Rotel RSX-1055 for $1150 w/tax (demo unit) or I could have gotten a factory sealed box for $1250 w/tax. It's been a while, but I think the RB-1050 can be had for about $400, the RB-1070 at $700, and the RB-1080 for $1000. Personally, I'd step up from the RB-1050 to something with a bit more power for my mains and go with the RB-1070 or the 1080. My reasoning is that the 1055 is rated for 100WPC in 2 channel stereo mode for the mains and 75WPC x 5 for surround sound mode. Buy purchasing a seperate power amp for your mains and reassigning the receiver main amps to the Center Back (a lovely feature of the RSX-1055 & 1065), you need to make sure you'll be happy with the seperate power amp's rating as it will be driving your mains. Going with the RB-1050 will drop the power rating from 100WPC to 70WPC, and you'll most probably be disappointed. I'd doubt the delta cost difference between the 1050 to the 1070 or 1080 would be that much different. And besides, you want to feed those LSi's with as much power as they can take. I hear that they sound way better that way.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited March 2003
    Originally posted by Mike&Natalie
    Oh yeah, if you are interested we have received a quote of $2553.27 for the B&K avr307 and $3170 for the B&K avr 507 from this same TH company. Good, bad, indifferent?

I'm always a fan of checking the web for pricing options. True, you have to weigh whether or not you are comfortable with used equipment, and possibly without warranty coverage, but can save some coin.......Check these out:

B&K AVR307

AVR 507

AVR307

Audiogon is a good site to keep your eyes on. Looks like on avg, you'd be saving approx $800 on the 307 and about $600 or so on the 507.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited March 2003
    Just verified the above pricing for the RB-1050, 1070, & 1080 with my local Rotel dealer. Been looking at getting an external power amp for the mains in the very near future. Don't forget, these are RETAIL prices and are probably cheaper if you can negotiate with you're local dealer.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • Mike&amp;Natalie
    edited March 2003
    Thanks everyone for your help. We sweetened our budget pot a little and purchased a new B&K avr 307 for $2278.10.

Will let you know the results. March 31 is the install date.

Once again, thank very much for your help.
    Mike & Nat