Ideas for DIY Line Array With Active Crossover!

Options

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2009
    Options
    That's my speaker's measured in room response. The dip is from the room...and that's after 6 GIK 244 panels and 2 GIK Monster Bass Traps.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    That's my speaker's measured in room response.

Yeah! That's why I said I know this one. Remember you sent me a link awhile ago? ;)
    The dip is from the room...and that's after 6 GIK 244 panels and 2 GIK Monster Bass Traps.

:eek: That's serious bass void in that room. I recommend you call the Pro Terminators to cleanse the bass suckling creatures from that room if the treatments can't solve that dips.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Since you're not a fan of tubes,
    Actually I do like tubes ,I just have a preference for SS.
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Yep, Orion++ would be an excellent speaker for anyone. The Orion++ kit is on sale now. ;)
    Yes but still well outside my budget:(

Can I call it 3 Way Plus Sub Arrays? It's hard to make 3 way and sounds awesome without a sub for OB. I've thought a lot about the driver choices and it's very limited what I can get. Cost is very high for very high quality drivers. And Even Orion+ has Thor SubWoofer to call it Orion++ :D
    I guess technically I have what amounts to a 4way as I use subwoofers for the > 60hz range.

Thanks CJ! I remembered reading about LT circuits but don't remember a thing about it so I had to dig it up from the net to refresh my memory. It's an excellent theory and circuit to make cheap drivers perform like a champ in a sealed enclosure. Even though I don't remember which manufactures offer it, I there there are some subwoofer plate amps available with built-in LT circuit in the XO.
    I've used the LT in the past and it works great ,I'm now using somthing similar namely Rod Elliotts clone of Bag End's dual integrator circuit.Here is the gory details.http://sound.westhost.com/project48.htm
    If it's not for the Direct Servo Subs, I would surely use LT circuits in the LF drivers.
    I believe Rythmic can supply an optional LT board for use with their plate amps.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • megasat16
    edited August 2009
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    I guess technically I have what amounts to a 4way as I use subwoofers for the > 60hz range.

I've used the LT in the past and it works great ,I'm now using somthing similar namely Rod Elliotts clone of Bag End's dual integrator circuit.Here is the gory details.http://sound.westhost.com/project48.htm

I believe Rythmic can supply an optional LT board for use with their plate amps.

So, am I OK to use 3 way plus subs array now? ;) It's quite the same as 4 way.....:D

That's where I've seem the LT circuits offering in the sub plates before. :o

The servo sub plates do not have LT circuits since servo circuits does a similar thing - controlling the cone movement.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Systems
    edited August 2009
    Options
    So, am I OK to use 3 way plus subs array now? ;)
    Well I guess we can let you this time:p
    The servo sub plates do not have LT circuits since servo circuits does a similar thing - controlling the cone movement.
    They can work together and infact will be complimentry but they serve different purposes.My understanding like yours,is that the servo's job is to keep the driver operating within it's linear range but does nothing to extend bass response.The LT on the otherhand will extend the response.The boost provided by the LT will require greater excursion demands of the driver but the servo will help to keep it in check.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • megasat16
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I guess you are right. I am reading it again but still not sure LT circuits are offered in the Servo Amps. I'll email Brian @ Rythmik. If I can get both features with Servo Subs, may be I'll be in Audio Nirvana! :)

On 2nd thought, may be not! The servo sub drivers may not be used with LT circuits. Oh heck, I'll email him now. :D
    If you plan to build a sealed box and already bought the driver, we strongly recommend the Linkwitz Transform add-on board. Others may recommend using rumble filter or parametric EQ to extend the bass response. However, the bass extension obtained is never as as smooth as the one with Linkwitz transform circuit. For those who haven't bought the driver, we recommend the servo sub option.
  • Systems
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yeah it appears from that you have a choice of one or the other not both.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • megasat16
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I got reply from Brian @ Rythmik about LT circuits. He said LT circuits is not required for the Direct Servo Subs.

I also decided to pull trigger on 12 more G3si ribbons while they are on sale. So, I can put 8 per tower.

I am thinking BG RD75 for midrange. But it'll give me only 92-94db sensitivity for the midrange section even if I put two of them in each tower. Using 4 in each array means a definite a 3rd mortgage on my home. :(

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-700

RD75 can be crossed from 500Hz to 3KHz, and G3si can take it up from there.
    W26-EX001 is good from 20Hz-500KHz and subs helping out the lower extension.
  • Face
    edited August 2009
    Options
    And why do you need more than one of those per tower? :eek:
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • megasat16
    edited August 2009
    Options
    RD75 is 88db average and it's only dipole line source (not array). In order to be array, I need at least 2 and it'll only give me additional 6db theoretical gain. It's still fall short of the high efficiency from the LF and HF driver arrays. We'll see what it can do if I put two together.
  • megasat16
    edited August 2009
    Options
    This one looks promising too! I could afford to put 8 drivers per tower and crossed from 500Hz-3KHz. G3si can take up from there.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1314
  • Systems
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I got reply from Brian @ Rythmik about LT circuits. He said LT circuits is not required for the Direct Servo Subs.
    Ah OK so he is doing more than just controling excursion with his servo.
    This one looks promising too! I could afford to put 8 drivers per tower and crossed from 500Hz-3KHz. G3si can take up from there.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1314
    Or get the poor man's version.http://wbx.me/l/?p=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmadisound.com%2Fmadisound_news%2F2009%2F08%2Fzaph-audio-za14w08-5-midwoofer.html

Appears to be a great little driver for the money.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • megasat16
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Thanks GV! I think it's a very similar driver to the Seas with one important difference for me. I think the SEAS could be used for OB due to the dynahex magnet and motor structure is non-blocking for the rear resonances. I could still use Zaph and save a ton of money on the mids but I need to mount 8 more in the back (as in the G3si). G3si is also not dipole. It's rear chamber is completely sealed so I need to put 4 in front and 4 in rear. I could do the same with the Zaph driver. It's very likely I need to use T-Pads for rear drivers attenuation.

Check this out. I think this is a cute line array! :D Before building BIG, I probably should start off with the small one. :D

http://www.walyou.com/blog/2009/03/27/mini-array-computer-speakers/
  • megasat16
    edited September 2009
    Options
    12 More G3si Ribbon Tweeters Have Arrived Last Week so I'll be biting sawdust soon. That makes 8 x G3si in each tower. Soon will be the moment of truth about how they sounds. :D

Midrange is still undecided. Bummer!
  • Systems
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Whats this?your pissing away money on tweets when you should be buying more vintage amps.:D

Nice!you have your treble end of the spectrum covered.

btw.be sure to wear your resporator mask if your cutting MDF.That stuff is just down right nasty on the lungs.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited September 2009
    Options
    BB opa4134
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • megasat16
    edited September 2009
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    BB opa4134

Why the OP Amp? :confused:
  • ben62670
    edited September 2009
    Options
    A day late and a dollar short. Earlier in the thread there was discussion of doing an active 3 way XO.
    http://www.kk-pcb.com/3-way.html
    I just wanted to put this up as a good performing option at a very reasonable price.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • megasat16
    edited September 2009
    Options
    Whats this?your pissing away money on tweets when you should be buying more vintage amps.:D

That's the box 12 G3si are shipped in. :D I've pissed away enough money on the Vintage Amp for now and I am well satisfied with what I have. It's time to try on some Vintage Preamps.
    Nice!you have your treble end of the spectrum covered.

Well, I hope it sounds good. I have yet to test anything.
    btw.be sure to wear your resporator mask if your cutting MDF.That stuff is just down right nasty on the lungs.

Thanks for reminding! I'll wear all the safety gears and mask when I cut the MDF. That sawdust are nasty stuff for sure. I'll be using a router to recess the tweeters also.
  • megasat16
    edited September 2009
    Options
    ben62670 wrote: »
    A day late and a dollar short. Earlier in the thread there was discussion of doing an active 3 way XO.
    http://www.kk-pcb.com/3-way.html
    I just wanted to put this up as a good performing option at a very reasonable price.

Ahh...I see. Thanks Ben! I thought about the 3 Way XO from KK-PCB also but my hands are itching to try the DEQX for active XO.
  • ben62670
    edited September 2009
    Options
    The really nice thing about the pro XO is the ability to change nearly every parameter on the fly. It can also be used in future projects:)
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Systems
    edited September 2009
    Options
    As previously mentioned the DEQX would be the cats meow if you can snag one.

Aswell I see from the pic you have your study materials on wood finishing and Dickasons excellent LDCB.You might recognize a name on pg32.:)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • megasat16
    edited September 2009
    Options
    As previously mentioned the DEQX would be the cats meow if you can snag one.

Aswell I see from the pic you have your study materials on wood finishing and Dickasons excellent LDCB.You might recognize a name on pg32.:)

The HT room with test rigs also doubles as a study room for me.

Dickasons wrote an excellent LDCB book and I am glad to have a copy. But I think mine is a different version from yours and I don't see any familiar name on PG.32. The version I have discusses about damping correlation to box sizes and Q of various types of XO networks.
  • Face
    edited September 2009
    Options
    My book appears to be different also. I don't have it in front of me at the moment, but I believe it's version 7.
  • megasat16
    edited September 2009
    Options
    I have 7th edition also. I also got a Free CD from the Old Colony Sound Lab.
  • megasat16
    edited July 2010
    Options
    As of today, this project is standing still due to the fact I have lack of time and I couldn't find an appropriate (efficient) Mid Drivers for OB between 500Hz to 5KHz.
  • Face
    edited July 2010
    Options
    That's a broad range for most drivers to play without any audible distortion or beaming. I would check out the Accuton C79, ScanSpeak 12MU/4731T, 12M/4631G, 10F/4424G, 10F/8424G, or SEAS W12CY-03. The last two ScanSpeak drivers I mentioned have excellent response to 6k, but I don't know how well they would do at 500hz in your application.

Here's someone else using them in a dipole, but only from 1-6k: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?t=218810
  • megasat16
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Yo Mike! I hear you. :) You want to help me fund half of the cost for C79? :p I only need about 16 or 32 (your pick) of them for both sides. :D

Thanks for the link also! I will read it tonight.
  • Face
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Sure, if you help me fund a pair of SS Be tweeters and C173-6-090 mids...and all CAST caps, inductors, and resistors to go with them. :D
  • megasat16
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Cool! Let me raise the bars a bit, eh? I haven't told you about the woofers yet, right? :D

I am thinking 4 of Alain 15A for each sides only coz I think 28A would be too much for bass, you in? ;)