TSI vs Monitor

Options
slam2900
slam2900 Posts: 41
edited January 2010 in Speakers
I listened to the TSI100s today and they sound amazing. I've heard that the old monitor 30s were replaced by the tsi series. What's the difference between the 2? Since I can get 2 monitor 30s for half of what i can get 2 tsi100s for on newegg, I want to make sure I'm not buying a bad speaker. Anyone have the tsi100s and monitor 30s or even the tsi200s and monitor 40s? what's the difference?
Post edited by slam2900 on

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I own a set of M30s I use as surrounds. Have also toyed with them as fronts for kicks. I've also heard the TSI-100s....and I'd have to give the 100s a SLIGHT edge in clarity and a bit tighter lows--but not much.

The crossover is at 2.3Khz on the 30s and 2.5Khz on the 100s..but the most significant improvement on the 100s is the cabinet VOLUME which is a bit more spacious than the 30s. I do think that makes a small difference between the two.

Otherwise they sound very similar. I was surprised when I compared the TSI-100s to all the other mid-level bookshelves in a BBuy....they were the best small bookshelf there, hands down.

Can't say much about the 200s vs the 40s?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • slam2900
    edited August 2009
    Options
    thanks cnh. Is it enough of a difference to pay $100 more for the tsi100s?

I completely agree with you on the fact that they are the best small bookshelf speaker because I also compared at Best Buy.

What do you use as your fronts?
  • cnh
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I use M70s and a CS2...I haven't head the TSI-500s but the M70s trounce the lower 400s and the 300s.

Is it worth a 100 dollars more...hmmm....that's a tough call. They are bit better and they look GREAT. Their aesthetics walk all over the now 'dated' M-series...and that may be a factor if you have a significant other in the house.

The look will remain current for a while to come.

I also have a set of TSI-300s in black that look great. If you have the bucks I'd go for the TSI-100s. If not, the M30s are certainly a good speaker...they're a bit more temperamental about placement concerning their base performance...they like some more room to breath in the back.

cnh

• slam2900
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I enjoy a good looking speaker and even though I'm saving money, after seeing the tsi100 I might still have to buy it. If I was to buy a set of 100s for the front and then either monitor 30s or 40s for the surrounds they should all be timbre matched and sound nice right? I mean I would be mixing different "series" but since the speakers are so similar I would think it wouldn't matter. Any one have this setup or any comments?
  • RandyBox
    RandyBox Posts: 125
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Have you thought about getting the Monitor 40 for $70 less than the Tsi100?

IMHO the Monitor 40's at $129 shipped can't be beat...

Regards,
    Randy
  • slam2900
    edited August 2009
    Options
    RandyBox wrote: »

Regards,
    Randy

I did but since I haven't been able to hear them or even the similiar TSI200s anywhere, I sort of wrote them off. I assumed they would be amazing though.
  • wutadumsn23
    wutadumsn23 Posts: 3,702
    edited August 2009
    Options
    RandyBox wrote: »

Regards,
    Randy

+1 Randy, for the price the Monitor series can't be beat IMHO. I have not heard the new TSi line, but cnh has so he is more the expert on that matter. You will not be dissapointed by the 40's, I have them as my surround speakers in my setup and they have not let me down. They sound amazing and actually have a very well rounded sound, even as a front channel in smaller setups. If it were me, I would pull the trigegr on the 40's and call it good. While I like the new look of the TSi's, I actually prefer the more laid back look of the Monitors.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Mains- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surrounds- Polk Audio TSi 500's :D
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Retired- Polk Audio Monitor 40's
    T.V.- 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000 LCoS
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)
    Polk Audio Monitor 10A's :cool:

It's not that I'm insensitive, I just don't care.. :D
  • slam2900
    edited August 2009
    Options
    +1 Randy, for the price the Monitor series can't be beat IMHO. I have not heard the new TSi line, but cnh has so he is more the expert on that matter. You will not be dissapointed by the 40's, I have them as my surround speakers in my setup and they have not let me down. They sound amazing and actually have a very well rounded sound, even as a front channel in smaller setups. If it were me, I would pull the trigegr on the 40's and call it good. While I like the new look of the TSi's, I actually prefer the more laid back look of the Monitors.

-Jeff

Since I'm looking at bookshelf speakers for the front for now..should the 40 or the 30 be in the front? or does it not matter?
  • wutadumsn23
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I would recommend the 40's for your fronts if you need bookshelves, for 2 reasons. 1. The 40's have a much better overall sound than the 30's since they are pretty much double the speaker. Not to say the 30's are bad, just the 40's are better, IMO. 2. The 40's can be had for about $30 dollars more than the 30's at Newegg with free shipping. The only problem with the 40's is their size, they are much bigger than the 30's, the 40's are almost 5" taller and 4" deeper than the 30's. If size isn't going to be a factor, I would suggest the 40's. I am including a link to both the 30's and the 40's at Newegg so you can check them out. Hope this helps, and good luck.

-Jeff

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290094 30's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290010 40's
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• mdk5068
    mdk5068 Posts: 204
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I'll take jeff's recommendation a step further and say look at the polk ebay store for both the monitor 30's or 40's. They are about half the price of newegg on there. I only say it because if I could get my target speaker system for 100 bucks it would be euphoric, and they are typically brand new.

I would recommend the 40's for your fronts if you need bookshelves, for 2 reasons. 1. The 40's have a much better overall sound than the 30's since they are pretty much double the speaker. Not to say the 30's are bad, just the 40's are better, IMO. 2. The 40's can be had for about $30 dollars more than the 30's at Newegg with free shipping. The only problem with the 40's is their size, they are much bigger than the 30's, the 40's are almost 5" taller and 4" deeper than the 30's. If size isn't going to be a factor, I would suggest the 40's. I am including a link to both the 30's and the 40's at Newegg so you can check them out. Hope this helps, and good luck.

-Jeff

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290094 30's

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290010 40's
    Bulls make money.
    Bears make money.
    Pigs get slaughtered.
    You, my friend, are the bacon.
  • wutadumsn23
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Good thinking mdk, hadn't even crossed my mind. Have heard nothing but good feedback concerning the Polk Audio Ebay store deally ma bob thingy. :D

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• cnh
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Good advice above.

I didn't even think about the M40s vs the 100s. But undoubtedly the M40s are going to give you more sound than M30s or TSI-100s.

Also, as above, the rule of thumb is to use your BEST speakers as you R/L fronts.

cnh

• Zeros
    Zeros Posts: 940
    edited August 2009
    Options
    If you decide to go the Newegg route for a new pair, you can use this coupon code to take $10 off the monitor 30's, but it only works for the black ones:

EMCLWMM32

The Monitor 30s I have been watching on ebay usually end around $60 +20 shipped - so about $80 shipped for a refurb. pair from Polkdirect or 10 dollars more for a new pair from Newegg. Your call.

One last thing, if you use bing-cashback you can get another 10% off at Newegg so it would be about the same price.
  • slam2900
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Zeros wrote: »
    If you decide to go the Newegg route for a new pair, you can use this coupon code to take $10 off the monitor 30's, but it only works for the black ones:

EMCLWMM32

The Monitor 30s I have been watching on ebay usually end around $60 +20 shipped - so about $80 shipped for a refurb. pair from Polkdirect or 10 dollars more for a new pair from Newegg. Your call.

One last thing, if you use bing-cashback you can get another 10% off at Newegg so it would be about the same price.

WOW awesome advice! thanks a lot for the coupon!

I have been watching/bidding on things from the ebay store even though the speakers aren't in black. I think I will buy from newegg just because i can get the color I am looking for. CNH I had a feeling you should use the best speakers for the fronts but wasn't positive. Thanks everyone! I will let you know how it turns out!
  • slam2900
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Just purchased a pair of Monitor 40s, Monitor 30s, and a CS2 center from newegg. Couldn't believe the price!
  • cnh
    edited August 2009
    Options
    slam2900 wrote: »
    Just purchased a pair of Monitor 40s, Monitor 30s, and a CS2 center from newegg. Couldn't believe the price!

Nice set up for fronts!

Do you have a sub yet? If not newegg used to sell the Polk PSW505 which is a nice MATCH for that set and at a good price..

cnh

• slam2900
    edited August 2009
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Nice set up for fronts!

Do you have a sub yet? If not newegg used to sell the Polk PSW505 which is a nice MATCH for that set and at a good price..

cnh

No not yet. I was considering a few and was going to go to best buy to hear them. Last time I was there the polks weren't working for some reason. (Guy had no clue what he was talking about.) I've heard the PSW10 and I was wanting more base so I was looking at the PSW110 but if they have older versions of these I would be willing to do that again to save money.
  • RandyBox
    RandyBox Posts: 125
    edited August 2009
    Options
    mdk5068 wrote: »
    I'll take jeff's recommendation a step further and say look at the polk ebay store for both the monitor 30's or 40's. They are about half the price of newegg on there. I only say it because if I could get my target speaker system for 100 bucks it would be euphoric, and they are typically brand new.

This is stretching a little... I searched the completed auctions on Ebay for polkdirect and the cheapest I saw the Monitor 40 sell for was $82.50 plus $20 shipping for a refurbished speaker.

This is far from 1/2 of Newegg's $129 shipped for new.

Regards,
    Randy
  • cnh
    edited August 2009
    Options
    slam2900 wrote: »
    No not yet. I was considering a few and was going to go to best buy to hear them. Last time I was there the polks weren't working for some reason. (Guy had no clue what he was talking about.) I've heard the PSW10 and I was wanting more base so I was looking at the PSW110 but if they have older versions of these I would be willing to do that again to save money.

Listen to the 110 and then imagine it going lower and sounding louder...that's the PSW505--about the same price shipped at...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130

cnh

• slam2900
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Listen to the 110 and then imagine it going lower and sounding louder...that's the PSW505--about the same price shipped at...

cnh

Ok so basically if the 110 fits my punch needs for music and movies I should go with the 505. I might try and get a deal on a sub from the polk ebay store though because of the great deals even on the DSW line.
  • spoonkerve
    spoonkerve Posts: 11
    edited August 2009
    Options

cnh

thanks for the link, it helped me.
  • cnh
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Your welcome..

That's a great entry sub at that price...almost impossible to match. Of course you can spend much MORE on a sub. But this will do you for a while.

cnh

• kdog03
    kdog03 Posts: 13
    edited August 2009
    Options
    To answer the thread of if the Tsi sounded better than the monitor, here is what i have found. The Tsi series have a much more natural high end. The "bright" and high pitch sounds of the monitors sound a bit more like crispy sounds instead of natural highs which dont wear on the ears. For example, the CS2 sounds much more theater like in reproduction and the monitors sound more like full range high quality computer speakers which give a shrill at the upper spectrum. The comparison may be a bit overstated to a computer speaker but I am trying to illustrate the "crispy" sound VS. the natural high spectrum noises of a CS2. To be fair, when I first went to the TSI series I felt the speakers sounded a bit "flat" compared to he monitors but after watching movies for some time these TSI speakers are more theater like in reproduction than the monitors. Some audiophile friends of mine noticed the difference right away and simply adore the tsi series for their accurate reproduction of sounds and voices. Another comparison could be a window breaking. The monitors sound off with the tiny pieces of glasses "tinking" to the ground, such as in a computer game. The Tsi's still reproduce the sound, just more life like where you would be overwhelmed by the high shrill "tinking" of a monitor, again more life like on the senses.
    F: TSI 500
    C: CS 20
    S: OWM5
    R: OWM3
    SUB: Micropro 4000
    ONKYO 676 7.1 130\ch
  • cnh
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Welcome to the Club Kdog...

I do however have to disagree with you. I own TSI-300s and M70s and the Ms are DEFINITELY less bright than the tweets in the 300s. The larger speakers also image fantastically compared to both the 300s and the 400s....no comparison....Musically the M70s trounce those two.

I admit that I have not heard the 500s which would be the real match with the 70s. But the tweeters in the 300s and 400s are hardly different.

The differences between these lines is 'subtle' at best. My impression is that the TSI-100s are a bit better than the M30s PRECISELY because the tweeter is BRIGHTER!!! Not the reverse.

I've been around these speaks for over a year now. Have heard them on a Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha...on separates with an Adcom and old Kenwood integrated, and so on...and with a number of Blu-rays and CDPs...

TSIs are/have been tweaked, though, mostly for HT. For music...I have to say M70s in the tower series are my pick, though I'm still waiting on the reviews that will compare the 500s and the 70s?

cnh

• slam2900
    edited August 2009
    Options
    kdog03 wrote: »
    To answer the thread of if the Tsi sounded better than the monitor, here is what i have found. The Tsi series have a much more natural high end. The "bright" and high pitch sounds of the monitors sound a bit more like crispy sounds instead of natural highs which dont wear on the ears. For example, the CS2 sounds much more theater like in reproduction and the monitors sound more like full range high quality computer speakers which give a shrill at the upper spectrum. The comparison may be a bit overstated to a computer speaker but I am trying to illustrate the "crispy" sound VS. the natural high spectrum noises of a CS2. To be fair, when I first went to the TSI series I felt the speakers sounded a bit "flat" compared to he monitors but after watching movies for some time these TSI speakers are more theater like in reproduction than the monitors. Some audiophile friends of mine noticed the difference right away and simply adore the tsi series for their accurate reproduction of sounds and voices. Another comparison could be a window breaking. The monitors sound off with the tiny pieces of glasses "tinking" to the ground, such as in a computer game. The Tsi's still reproduce the sound, just more life like where you would be overwhelmed by the high shrill "tinking" of a monitor, again more life like on the senses.

Since you say some audiophile friends noticed the difference right away, I will hope since my ears aren't as tuned in yet I won't notice this high shrill. I plan on using the speakers for video games, movies, and music.
  • slam2900
    edited August 2009
    Options
    The differences between these lines is 'subtle' at best. My impression is that the TSI-100s are a bit better than the M30s PRECISELY because the tweeter is BRIGHTER!!! Not the reverse.

I've been around these speaks for over a year now. Have heard them on a Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha...on separates with an Adcom and old Kenwood integrated, and so on...and with a number of Blu-rays and CDPs...

TSIs are/have been tweaked, though, mostly for HT. For music...I have to say M70s in the tower series are my pick, though I'm still waiting on the reviews that will compare the 500s and the 70s?

cnh

Ha I like this answer a lot more. Most people say the difference between the tsi and monitor is slim, which i hope is true.
  • kdog03
    kdog03 Posts: 13
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Comparing the TSI300 to M70's is comparing apples to oranges. The 4 6.5" drivers and a single tweeter will produce a hollow timber, albeit a very nice one compared to the 2 5 1/4" mids of the TSI 300. If you think the TSI300 are bright, you should hear the monitor 50's. Really, compare these two together---you will see what is true. In fact-just do the center channels. I owned and tested a CS1, CS2, CS10, and CS20, in addition Monitor 60's, e90s, monitor 70's, Tsi 300, TSI 400, and TSI 500. I too have a lengthy resume of polks, subs, etc and a wide variety of receivers such as Kenwood, yamaha, Onkyo, and Denon--with many Blu Ray devices to have tested them on. Lets stay to the topic of comparing apples to apples shall we?

I think those out there who have had both sets will know what I am talking about with regards to sound. I am not bashing the TSI line, I like em a lot, they just sound a hair different than the monitor series. I tend to appreciate a bright speaker but audioholics prefer a resiliant natural sounding speaker. Hence why the TSI line is so good.
    F: TSI 500
    C: CS 20
    S: OWM5
    R: OWM3
    SUB: Micropro 4000
    ONKYO 676 7.1 130\ch
  • wutadumsn23
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Hopefully I can put this debate to rest (in my mind anyway) when I get a chance to demo the TSi 500's that are floating around among some of Club Polk's members right now. I think I have one more person in front of me. Since I have the Monitor 70's, I can't imagine a better way to decide which one is better than a nice side by side comparison, lol.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)

• slam2900
    edited August 2009
    Options
    kdog03 wrote: »
    Comparing the TSI300 to M70's is comparing apples to oranges. The 4 6.5" drivers and a single tweeter will produce a hollow timber, albeit a very nice one compared to the 2 5 1/4" mids of the TSI 300. If you think the TSI300 are bright, you should hear the monitor 50's. Really, compare these two together---you will see what is true. In fact-just do the center channels. I owned and tested a CS1, CS2, CS10, and CS20, in addition Monitor 60's, e90s, monitor 70's, Tsi 300, TSI 400, and TSI 500. I too have a lengthy resume of polks, subs, etc and a wide variety of receivers such as Kenwood, yamaha, Onkyo, and Denon--with many Blu Ray devices to have tested them on. Lets stay to the topic of comparing apples to apples shall we?

I think those out there who have had both sets will know what I am talking about with regards to sound. I am not bashing the TSI line, I like em a lot, they just sound a hair different than the monitor series. I tend to appreciate a bright speaker but audioholics prefer a resiliant natural sounding speaker. Hence why the TSI line is so good.

I suppose the differences between the CS2 AND CS20 aren't huge either? along with the CS1 to the CS2? i had extra money for my budget since i bought monitors and so I went ahead and ordered the CS2 center. It arrives tomorrow!
  • wutadumsn23
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Difference between the CS20 and CS2, and the CS1 and CS10 are probably minimal at best, they are pretty much the same speaker (on paper). Difference between the CS1 and CS2 or the CS10 and CS20 is a bit more prevelant. CS2 or CS20 all the way. Good choice, you will not be dissapointed.

-Jeff
    HT Rig
    Receiver- Onkyo TX-SR806
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW125
    Blu-Ray- 80 GB PS3

2 CH rig (in progress)