Subwoofer Noise

mmp2276
mmp2276 Posts: 1
edited March 2003 in Troubleshooting
I recently purchased a PSW350 subwoofer and I'm noticing a strange intermittent noise. This noise is best described as a single "thump". The noise occurs at various times, however I have yet to experience the noise while listening to music, though have noticed it during low points of a movie.

The noise will even take place when the subwoofer (and the receiver it is connected to) are off. The subwoofer will have its red light on and still make the noise, when no other audio equipment is turned on.

I've tried to notice if there are other appliances/furnace/etc... turning on or off when I hear the noise, but there seems to be nothing noteworthy to mention there.

Also the noise is not associated with the sub powering on or off normally, as I've never heard the noise when the light goes from red to green, or when it turns off automatically after a certain amount of time.

The strangest thing about this is that the noise takes place even when the red light of the sub is on, which should indicate that the sub is not receiving any power.

Any suggetions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Post edited by mmp2276 on

Comments

• setzer808
    setzer808 Posts: 173
    edited March 2003
    I have a PSW350 and know what you are talking about. It seems that the PSW350 is just very, very sensitive at picking up outside noise.
    Problems and changes in my apartment wiring, turning off big fans, and even two-way radios and cellphones can cause my to make different sounds.
    Probably using a better power-filtering device would help eliminate this.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
    Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
    Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
    Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player