LSi9 and Denon AVC-3030

polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited March 2003 in 2 Channel Audio
Guys,
I've been meaning to share this with you. I recently bought a LSi9 to complete my 7.1 setup surround back speaker. While I am researching the additional amplification that I need to power this speaker (I have a 5 channels receiver), I hook 'em up to the ol' Denon 3030. It is rated 110X3, 35X2, Prologic) just for 2 ch. listening, with an 8 years old Sony XA3ES CDP (CD direct mode to the receiver). Initially the sound was harsh, but detailed and clean, no hiss, and low is not as tight nor punchy. So I have this setup for about 2 weeks now, listen to this setup on and off, approximately 20 hours so far. After all this time, well, what do I know, the soundstage is getting better, low is firming up nicely, the receiver is doing fine (warmer, but not too bad) even though is not rated to do 4 ohms load. This experience taught me one thing, the old Denon IS better build than the new series (I used to own 2802, and it was not capable of driving LSi15 adequately). Now I am really interested to hear other 3030 owners out there, at least to share with them that THIS Denon is very capable driving the LSi (haven't try the 15, but definitely sound sweet with the 9) Do share your experience with the 3030 if you could please.....*thump* (I am out of the soapbox)

ps: here is a link to a recent 3030 auction on ebay, for those that has not dealt with this beast :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14981&item=3010485427&rd=1
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2003
    It's interesting to look at the weight of Denon's current line of AVR 7.1 7-channel receivers.

Even with similar chassis size and features, the weight climbs considerably with price and model number.

To wit:

AVR-5803: 63.9 pounds (7x170 8 ohms) (7x200 6 ohms @ 20-20k)

AVR-4802: 45.2 pounds (7x125 8 ohms) (7x150 6 ohms @ 20-20k)

AVR-3803: 36.4 pounds (7x110 8 ohms) (7x150 6 ohms @ 1k only)

AVR-2803: 28.7 pounds (7x90 8 ohms) (7x125 6 ohms @ 1k only)

Clearly, despite power ratings that on paper wouldn't make more than a 3 dB (at most) difference in max volume, it's obvious Denon is dumping much larger transformers and capacitors into the amp stages of its receivers as the price goes up.

I think it's obvious why the 2802/2803 can't drive the LSi series - it weighs 8 pounds less than the 3803 with identical chassis size and features. I strongly suspect that 8 pounds went directly into the amp stage and although the power ratings on paper are indentical, I would bet the current capability of the 3803 is a far sight better than the 2802/2803 and it would probably drive the LSi line just fine.

Ditto even more so for the 4802/5803.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    polkatese,
    I run into that receiver from time to time.I wouldn't drive the lsi9's with it.I mean if your digging it,well I'm not going to tell you any different.
    Comparing older Denon with todays denon.I felt that dynaic range improved.Features and connectability always improve due to time changes/formats and such.Overall Denon isn't a bad company.I like they are one of the better japanese receivers on the market and get tons of respect in the industry.
    I had the Denon avr3801 and tried to run the Lsi15's for a short period of time,bad move,in my opnion.It ran them but got hot and ran out of steam.Sound quality was well under where I wanted to be.
    Witrh the right speakers like Def Tech's....I think Denon really shines.
    LSI and DENON........from my experience thumbs down my brother.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2003
    Dan,
    thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking, hence I was quite surprise that 3030 seems to survive the torture. One thing I have to say, Denon and LSi don't sound warmth compared to Rotel. Rotel and LSi is definitely has its magic, very tight....Once I am done with the dedicated outlet project, I will reshuffle the combo again....
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2003
    The Denon will play them, just not sound good.

Yes I will agree Magic is a cool way of putting the combo.I like it,I almost did it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.